finally got the holiday bundle, some questions

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys!

Mr. Rubino told me to join this forum to see what's up with my newest phone, the HP Elite x3.

Little intro: I've had Windows Mobile since WP7, on my HTC Surround. Then got a Nokia 720, then most recently, my lovely 1520.

I actually had 2 1520s. My first one unfortunately became too annoying to use because I threw it at someone (with a case) and dropped it a little too much so my Cortana button kept being "pressed" and rendered the phone pretty unusable. So I got a replacement and have been using that for the past 2.5 years I think. Been great to use, always get comments on its size and basically made me dependent on a BIG phone.

I've been drooling of the HP since the first ads came out and have been saving up for just the phone (no initial interest in the docks). Then our favorite "holiday" Black Friday came along sporting that $999 deal and I had to pull the trigger.

I got it yesterday and set everything up. I messed up the screen protector a bit, not a super clean install, but the silicone case looks alright and does the job I suppose. Don't know if I want to spend any more for a case I most likely won't use. I'm pretty responsible and don't foresee dropping it.

So I updated for like 4 hours to the newest W10M and forgot to do a hard reset afterwards (the cause of me struggling with my old 1520, texts didn't send, various other issues), but so far, I've had none of those issues with the HP but we will see.

I really like the lap dock and used it only briefly to set up my favorites on Edge but will report back since I have paired a Bluetooth mouse to my phone and want to see how they work together. I plan to use it for my plane/train rides which have become more frequent because of work but mainly for personal use though. A few work related things are browser based but I need my big daddy CAD machine for the rest. This will help cut down on luggage space though for quick day/weekend trips.

This phone/lap dock may very well replace my personal laptop though. The only reason I use it now is to download music (it's my music library that I sync to my phone from) and for reliable Skyping since sometimes the 1520 didn't do a great job (battery, lagginess, etc.).

Anyway, a few questions/comments:

1) Bluetooth: when pairing to my car, it had a hard time this morning connecting and staying connected. I also miss the "gadgets" of the Nokia because now my phone won't autoplay (first world problem I know).

2) Battery: I literally just got the phone yesterday so won't have too much to report. It came out of the box with like 80-90% I think, and by the time updates were done, it was closer to 40%. No big deal, expected, especially over the 4.5-5 hours it took. I plugged it into the desk dock to charge (no monitor connection) and when the green LED came on, I took it off. Pressed the lock button and no screen. I had to hold down the lock button repeatedly until the screen came back.

Using it today at work, I was mainly installing/updating apps and from 96% battery at 11pm last night, it currently has 45% at this time, 2:20pm EST. Was listening to music while downloading and rearranging my start screen, downloading wallpaper from Edge, and texting/receiving emails. So far, I think it's holding up really well.

3) Heat: was pretty warm during all the updates, a little warm today during the app downloads, but other than, cold as ice!

Look forward to everything that comes with updates though! I am lowkey a strong believer in WP and hope it grows/gets better. I don't care about the app gap, haven't had a problem in the 7ish years I've had it except the occasional harassment about not having snappychat or xxx_sicknewgame_xxx.

I'll report back on how my mouse works with Continuum and the lap dock (hopefully it goes well!).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WindowsCentral.

I hope you like your new Elite x3. 😊

Please let us know more once you've used it a bit more.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Car issues can be annoying. What kind of car were you syncing it with and did you have all the updates installed? If not, you may want to tell the phone and car to forget the device then pair it again.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WindowsCentral.

I hope you like your new Elite x3. ��

Please let us know more once you've used it a bit more.

Welcome to Windows Central! I hope that your Elite X3 will continue to work well for you!

Thanks guys! I will update soon as I use the mouse/lap dock and get a bit more use out of it.

So far just miss Glance but I'll get over it. Fingerprint and iris scanner working really well, no issues, helps for opening my phone quickly since I mess up my passcode frequently haha. Plus being more secure and all that good stuff.

Car issues can be annoying. What kind of car were you syncing it with and did you have all the updates installed? If not, you may want to tell the phone and car to forget the device then pair it again.

I was syncing with my 2012 Infiniti. Paired fine with my 1520, any Bluetooth issues were purely Windows/Cortana faults. To my knowledge, all apps and phone are up to date.

Currently, I'm just getting some skipping issues during playback. About 2-3 in my 40min commute, both this morning and tonight. Will see if it persists the rest of the week.

It also didn't accept my calls over Bluetooth. It paused my music, I saw the phone ringing (but didn't hear it) and resumed music when I didn't answer.

I'll unpair and repair tomorrow, thanks!

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
P.S.

pay.mo isn't working for me either. When trying to log in, I get to the Venmo sign-in and it says uniqueness error and tries to find an app in the store... Worked fine and still works in my 1520.

P.P.S

I got a weird error code in the store when downloading some apps/updating. Happened to the Egnyte app and Outlook Mail. I don't remember the code but both apps later downloaded sooo not sure what's going on there.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
So update with the x3 and lapdock:

I connected it wirelessly andddd no touchpad... had to use the x3 as the touch pad. Needless to say that experience didn't last long. I hard wired it in and downloaded the firmware update. Then I used my Bluetooth mouse connected to phone and it worked pretty well! I only used Readit but it scrolled fine. For a few minutes... The scrolling became a little wonky and I had to use the scroll bar. Everything worked fine on Edge though. I really dislike the touchpad, hard for me to find the "left click" so the mouse will be used primarily.

Some more issues to report, really hoping I didn't get a lemon of a phone:

1) had to do a hard reset last night against all my wishes but I didn't receive text messages for over 2 hours and attributed some of the other little bugs to not doing the reset immediately after getting the AU.

2) so did my backup, got all my apps back and start screen lookin fresh, but now my email notifications aren't separated. I have 3 separate emails and only want notifications from 2 of them, plus I want different sounds for each account. This was no problem with my 1520, don't know what's going on here.

3) I re-paired my Bluetooth to the car and so far it says connected to voice and audio so we'll see if Cortana reads me my texts/phones. Still had some skipping this morning though during audio playback. But it does autoplay once connected so that's nice!

4) Something went wrong during my backup as my messages have still not full backed up. Usually they did overnight but still nothing.

Other than that no issues. The vibrating is different than the 1520 but a nice change.Definitely hear it more than I feel it.

Last edited:

ndouni

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I can find the lap dock in device hub to do the update. Even when wired, I don't see the lap dock in the device hub. Please help.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by zmancb7
So update with the x3 and lapdock:

I connected it wirelessly andddd no touchpad... had to use the x3 as the touch pad. Needless to say that experience didn't last long. I hard wired it in and downloaded the firmware update. Then I used my Bluetooth mouse connected to phone and it worked pretty well! I only used Readit but it scrolled fine. For a few minutes... The scrolling became a little wonky and I had to use the scroll bar. Everything worked fine on Edge though. I really dislike the touchpad, hard for me to find the "left click" so the mouse will be used primarily.

Some more issues to report, really hoping I didn't get a lemon of a phone:

1) had to do a hard reset last night against all my wishes but I didn't receive text messages for over 2 hours and attributed some of the other little bugs to not doing the reset immediately after getting the AU.

2) so did my backup, got all my apps back and start screen lookin fresh, but now my email notifications aren't separated. I have 3 separate emails and only want notifications from 2 of them, plus I want different sounds for each account. This was no problem with my 1520, don't know what's going on here.

3) I re-paired my Bluetooth to the car and so far it says connected to voice and audio so we'll see if Cortana reads me my texts/phones. Still had some skipping this morning though during audio playback. But it does autoplay once connected so that's nice!

4) Something went wrong during my backup as my messages have still not full backed up. Usually they did overnight but still nothing.

Other than that no issues. The vibrating is different than the 1520 but a nice change.Definitely hear it more than I feel it.

For messages, I assume text messages. Under settings, you can set to sync between devices and download messages from Anytime. Depending on your service provider, you may need to update your sms Apn to send and receive photos etc.

Email notifications are win10m thing. It's tricky but there are bunch of settings to go through. If the link accounts are set up, the notification needs to be reapplied, or set with Apply to all button selected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss