Fix bricked Lumia 520 (or 5xx)

AnubhavSingh

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello mates, my Lumia 520 was bricked while rolling back to 8.1 with WPRT and soon i realized it was not just me. Recovery mode was not opening, and it was not responding to any button press. Even my PC or any software including WPRT, was not recognizing my phone. After spending several days on it, i finally fixed it! Here's how I did it:
1) Download Nokia software updater for retail v4.3.2
2) After installing it, open it and click on "My phone does not start up or respond"
3) DO CONNECT YOUR PHONE YET, and click on Continue
4) Now get a good USB Cable and connect your phone. This is the only software which will detect it
5) Your phone will get into recovery mode automatically
6) Voila! you have it, it will download about 1.5 GB ( WP 8.1, Cyan) and flash your phone

Zemes

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
In order for this method to work, your phone must at least respond to simultaneously pressing the power button and volume down button, with a vibration.

The problem is that if your phone was bricked by Microsoft File Recovery Tool, the chances are that the phone is completely dead, and unresponding to anything. In that case, the method recommended here using Nokia Software Updater does not work either (even after following the exact procedure outlined above).

This is an absolute disaster made by Microsoft. One would be expecting buggy software with a technical preview, but no one would be expecting the phone to be killed completely.

I don't believe the problem is limited to Lumia 520. Whatever Windows phone you have, if you did the following, your phone would be completely dead: (1) you installed technical preview of Windows 10 for phone; and (2) and then you decided to use Microsoft Phone Recovery Tool to restore the phone to Windows Phone 8.1. If you did that, you would have ended up with a completely dead phone. not recoverable by any means that's available now.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
In order for this method to work, your phone must at least respond to simultaneously pressing the power button and volume down button, with a vibration.

The problem is that if your phone was bricked by Microsoft File Recovery Tool, the chances are that the phone is completely dead, and unresponding to anything. In that case, the method recommended here using Nokia Software Updater does not work either (even after following the exact procedure outlined above).

This is an absolute disaster made by Microsoft. One would be expecting buggy software with a technical preview, but no one would be expecting the phone to be killed completely.

I don't believe the problem is limited to Lumia 520. Whatever Windows phone you have, if you did the following, your phone would be completely dead: (1) you installed technical preview of Windows 10 for phone; and (2) and then you decided to use Microsoft Phone Recovery Tool to restore the phone to Windows Phone 8.1. If you did that, you would have ended up with a completely dead phone. not recoverable by any means that's available now.

You need to use lumia recovery tool. Its gotten updated last week in response to a,large amount of users bricking their phones. If you have the Lumia recovery tool unbricking is possible.

Zemes

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I tried both. Nokia Phone Recovery Tool 4.2.1 and then Lumia Software Recovery Tool 5.0.7. Neither worked. Both behaved the same way. You first select "my phone does not start up or respond", disconnect the phone, click "Continue", and then connect the phone, all as instructed. But the software fails to recognize the phone. After a long time waiting, it requires you to "press the power button and the volume down button simultaneously" to restart the phone. But the problem is that after the Microsoft Recovery Tool disaster, my phone is completely dead not responding to any buttons.

I have Lumia 810 by the way. This is the worst software update disaster I've ever had. Absolutely no more technical previews from Microsoft in the future! I feel fooled totally stupid.

Zemes

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
You could try a few times. I've read that it takes users a few goes to get it to work.

A few times? I tried at least two dozen times, wasting hours, making all kinds of variations you could imagine. All I could do at this moment is to hide the phone from my eyes before I trash it. At this point, forgetting about it is the best policy.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
A few times? I tried at least two dozen times, wasting hours, making all kinds of variations you could imagine. All I could do at this moment is to hide the phone from my eyes before I trash it. At this point, forgetting about it is the best policy.

You could wait for another recovery tool update or go to Nokia care.

sujitintel

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site

same here bother !! Tried everything that is beyond others imagination.....no luck :( :(

I am thinking to buy a broken or damaged Lumia 520 from OLX or Quicker then replacing its main board :) this is the only way for a cheaper fix :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99