Flashing problem on my 635... WPID

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Please only post if you understand what to do about the issue. If you are experienced with Windows Phone Image Designer, or know of a different way to flash the phone to get this to work, please give me some input. If you just want to comment that maybe I shouldn't be trying this, then I respectfully ask you to please move to another thread. Thank you.

I'm trying to use Windows Phone Image Designer to flash 059W4X2 to my ATT 635 GoPhone that has been previously flashed to 059W380. I'm getting an error message:
Sorry! Your device could not be flashed with the image you selected.

Please correct the following error and try again:
Failed to flash with device error { 0x16, 0x0, 0x0, 0x2, 0xa, 0x4 } : Image targeting check failed. Device: Nokia.MSM8926.P6112_ATT.1.1, Image: Nokia.MSM8926.P6112.

Current firmware is the 059W380 as far as I can tell. I want to flash it to 059W4X2. Drivers are installed and working. Any ideas?

Please tell me what other information is needed for you to assist.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Easy way: Flash to the CA ROM (or any other RM-975 which is not on Denim yet. Then do the registry trick and get back to AT&T Update 2. WPID has the same limitations as Nokia Product Support Tool (and possibly WPRT/LRT), i.e. it can not bypass checks for the AT&T variant.

Edit: More details...

Step 1: Product code to flash: 059W1Z3 (Rogers, CA). This is still on the release firmware on Navifirm
Step 2: Edit the registry to RM-975_1035, carrier ATT-US, the new postpaid Denim + Update 2 firmware should start downloading

Last edited:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean the RM-975_1024 059W1Z3 variant firmware? Don't want to do the 1.67GB download on my data plan unless I'm sure that's the right one.

I'm already trying to flash from Update 2 to Update 1, but both are Denim. Is both being on Denim my problem?

Also, if I am successful flashing to the 059W1Z3, will it be a problem flashing to the 059W4X2 to make it unbranded US? I can do the trick to get back to Update 2 from there, just got to get it away from this AT&T firmware which is rather buggy. Had no issues with that unbranded US when I did the trick to get update 2, but the AT&T update has it all messed up.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The Rogers ROM flash would be using either Product Support Tool or any other tools (I haven't used any others yet) you know of and you would need a PC for that. For the second step, yes you will need your phone connected to the internet, (Wi-Fi preferred) but the download shouldn't be the entire 1.67 GB size. The first time I unbranded my 635, the firmware took 5 mins to download on my 30 mbps connection which definitely would not be the entire ROM. (Edit: it just downloaded the firmware and not the OS since I was already on Update 2 w/ Cyan before debranding)

Also, if I am successful flashing to the 059W1Z3, will it be a problem flashing to the 059W4X2 to make it unbranded US?

I don't think so. As long as you are on a lower firmware version you can switch firmwares. That's the whole reason I was suggesting flashing the lower version Rogers ROM

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try that and see how it goes. Getting the 1.67GB initially for the Rogers ROM will take a bit of time tonight, but it's nearing time to go to sleep anyway. It can download while I sleep.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Tried the flashing this morning using the Windows Phone Image Designer, same error. It won't do the Rogers ROM either.

So I tried the Product Support Tool and can't get it to recognize my device at all. Can't see it.

I tried the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, and it recognizes that there is firmware available that is older than the firmware on my phone and offers to install it. I can't try that, because the only access to the internet I have at the moment is through my phone's hotspot, and I can't flash it and have internet to download the ROM at the same time, if you understand what I mean.

I need a tool that will work with the ROM I have already downloaded with NaviFirm+ so that I can get this flashed. Any ideas how to get the Product Support Tool to work? Something else to try?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Try performing the dead flash method using product support tool. It should recognize your device since it did for me, try a different USB port may be? Also I was able to flash to the unbranded LTA ROM and since Rogers and that ROM are similar my assumption was Rogers would work. The ROM downloaded using Navifirm+ can be used directly with PST and WPRT after a hack.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The ROM downloaded using Navifirm+ can be used directly with PST and WPRT after a hack.

Now, if only I can find that hack for WPRT. I have the hack for PST, but still am unable to get the phone recognized... I may not have an up-to-date enough hack for the 635.

EDIT: Okay, I still can't get PST to work, even on different ports. Don't have access to another computer to try. Don't know what's wrong at this point. Irritating.

As far as the hack for WPRT goes, I've tried searching the net and am coming up empty.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Attempted to flash using WPRT to an earlier firmware, and after downloading the entire ROM it ended in failure due to not being allowed to flash an older ROM to a device that has GDR2 due to the Reset Protection status. Since the phone has a Reset Protection feature, even though it isn't enabled, I can't roll back.

I'm wondering if I go to Windows 10 TP for mobile if I would be able to roll back to an earlier ROM that way? I'm about to try, because the AT&T version of this ROM is so blasted buggy I might as well be on TP. Trying that next.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, went to Windows 10 TP for mobile. Then I tried to roll back again, because the TP was TOO unstable for my taste. Well, the phone is now bricked. Since the phone is my ONLY source of internet at home, here I sit in a coffee shop, about to order another cup, while my new L635 GoPhone gets the restore done from my old backup.

I'll be sitting here for a while waiting on apps to be reinstalled, maps to be downloaded, music to download again from my OneDrive, etc.

Luckily, I went to the local Walmart, and they had the GoPhones all locked up in a case, and they had a $19.86 tag on a single Lumia 635 that some poor employee had mismarked. The rest were all marked at $49.86. I called the employee over and said, "I want THAT one, and I want it at THAT price." He said, "Uh... I'll have to call somebody." The Customer Service Manager came over and couldn't handle it, so the Assistant Manager and Store Manager showed up, and I now have a new phone that was reasonably priced. ;) My wife is still mad at me for bricking the phone, though. Can't blame her. She's now got to get the fussy children ready and in bed by herself while I sit and sip on coffee. I've really got to do something to make it up to her... something big. I'll put on my thinking cap while I drink the coffee.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Here it is a couple of days later, and I found a copy of the Lumia Software Recovery Tool 5.0.8. Where Windows Phone Recovery Tool, which replaced the Lumia Software Recovery Tool, could not handle it, the Lumia Software Recovery Tool handled the job like a champ, and my original 635 is back up and running. Yay!

Yes, I've already bought and set up a replacement 635, but hey, now I have a backup, just in case. I'm happy.

A big shout out and thank you to pankaj981 for all his help in PM to get me going again. pankaj981 is truly awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)