FM Radio

tjecco

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if we will be getting FM Radio on Windows Phone 8,

I read somewhere that the phones Hardware is capable but the OS isn't at the moment (or something like that)

tjecco

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
it's costing me so much just to listen to local radio stations... it's insane...

i hope they announce Radio Support MWC

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I know that some wp7 phones uses the radio function though. And with the information that even an iphone has the hardware to use fm radio i think it could be something al wp8 phones support, just not the os.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Tunein radio doesn't work worth a damn for me, it takes it a nearly a minute to start streaming and then it will cut off every few minutes; at first i thought it was the phone but nokia music 3g playback is flawless. So to those who said before that FM wasn't needed...IT IS...cos even when you have unlimitted data online radio is garbage.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I dont know of a single smartphone that supports built in over the air radio. I wonder why? Guessing might be because the whole point of a smart phone is to use it with a data plan, and with a data plan there's no competing against digital radio, or local radio stations delivered digitally (via iHeartRadio.. though they pulled it from WP8 for some reason!).

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Korjax: I suspect it's more to do with advertising, as far as online radio is concerned you've sent all your details when you established a connection...so they can hit you with adverts; with FM radio you'd just be receiving the signal as a normal radio, saving you money and battery power but not allowing MS to whore out your information.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know that some wp7 phones uses the radio function though. And with the information that even an iphone has the hardware to use fm radio i think it could be something al wp8 phones support, just not the os.

All of Windows Phone 7/7.5 devices had FM radio. It was part of the WP7 standard, it had to be there. Now With Windows Phone 8, on almost every model (cant confirm every but, most I have seen) have the hardware for a FM radio but, no software to run it. I know for sure the chipset is in the HTC 8X and the L920.

The rumor is, from a few sites a few months ago, was that Microsoft was going to add it but, didn't have time to get it done before release.

Is it possable it could come down on a software update ? Yes, maybe 8.1 will come with FM radip support but, depending on carrier, I would not 100% count on it,

Baseball season starts soon, and I used my WP7 device to listen to games all the time, Now my only option is payibg MLB something like $50 for the season to get the games. That is BS, Microsoft should pay for that because of their lack of support.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Ironically enough using the FM radio (HD radio rather) in the ZuneHD drained battery life for some reason. Though its probably not as bad as a battery drain as wifi/data is, and the ZuneHD had a pretty small battery because it didn't need a big one (would last days for me).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
All of Windows Phone 7/7.5 devices had FM radio. It was part of the WP7 standard, it had to be there. Now With Windows Phone 8, on almost every model (cant confirm every but, most I have seen) have the hardware for a FM radio but, no software to run it. I know for sure the chipset is in the HTC 8X and the L920.

The rumor is, from a few sites a few months ago, was that Microsoft was going to add it but, didn't have time to get it done before release.

Is it possable it could come down on a software update ? Yes, maybe 8.1 will come with FM radip support but, depending on carrier, I would not 100% count on it,

Baseball season starts soon, and I used my WP7 device to listen to games all the time, Now my only option is payibg MLB something like $50 for the season to get the games. That is BS, Microsoft should pay for that because of their lack of support.
It all depends on where one lives. The only local sport that is broadcast here on FM is NFL (Browns on 100.7 WMMS). NBA (Cavaliers) and MLB (Indians) are only on AM (1100 WTAM). FM radio is useless for local NBA/MLB fans. I'm sure there are other cities that don't carry all the sports on FM. Of course, major markets like NYC, LA, Boston, Chicago will have sports on multiple stations, both AM and FM.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Using headphones as an antenna for FM radio is nearly useless and the reception will never be as strong as using a Walkman or dedicated radio.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Never had a problem with using fm on my phone, i drive buses all day and used my N8 for listening to the local radio, also meant i was pre wired for hands free calls,

i miss my fm on my nokia 820 please please give it back :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on where one lives. The only local sport that is broadcast here on FM is NFL (Browns on 100.7 WMMS). NBA (Cavaliers) and MLB (Indians) are only on AM (1100 WTAM). FM radio is useless for local NBA/MLB fans. I'm sure there are other cities that don't carry all the sports on FM. Of course, major markets like NYC, LA, Boston, Chicago will have sports on multiple stations, both AM and FM.

True, I listen to 103.7 here in CT, that gives me Red Sox games and Pats games durning NFL season, I get the station fine where I work and live. I used to listen to games on my Trophy while I was doing things in the yard like cutting the grass or something. It stinks that I can no longer do that. I want my FM radio back, even if it's for news or listening to music with out having to pay for a service.

Using headphones as an antenna for FM radio is nearly useless and the reception will never be as strong as using a Walkman or dedicated radio.

True to a point, if you get a station in pretty strong, using the headphones on my old Trophy never had a problem. Weaker stations did have an issue sometimes. Nothing would be better than dedicated hardware, I agree but, in a pinch, a phone works great for it.

tjecco

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
i just spent $17 (around about, ZA R150) for 500mb of Data

This is suppose to last all month!!! yes all month (i have wifi at home so it helps a bit)

But then on the road and i wanna listen to tunes on the radio streaming is not an option, I really hope they bring the FM Radio support to WP8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb