[free] tickerfeed - Get the latest news as push notifications, the evolution of the feed reader

Marko BL

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce the app, that I developed over the last months: It's called tickerfeed.

What is tickerfeed?
tickerfeed is a news and realtime-notification app and it also contains trending messages, so you know what the other people are currently reading. Receive push notifications for the latest news from your favorite website or blog. You don't need a bunch of different apps anymore to read news or receive push notifications for your favorite website, you only need tickerfeed. Or receive push notifications for smaller websites and blogs, that don't have an app or push notifications at all.

How does it work?
You don't have to worry about using tickerfeed. It's really easy to use, just try it out. Let me explain some details: tickerfeed is the combination of the words Ticker and Feed, for a reason. A Ticker is the representation of an entity (e.g. ESPN, Time Magazin, ...). And every Ticker has different Feeds (think of it as categories, e.g. Sport News, Tech News, Politics, ...). E.g., if you are intersted in NHL and NBA news from ESPN, you open the ESPN Ticker, subscribe the NHL and NBA Feeds, configure push notifications and you're done.

What's the advance of using it?

• First of all, it's really easy to use. The goal was to build a simple and minimalistic app, that everyone can use, even none-nerds, social-media-refuseniks and people, that never heard of RSS feeds. Everything important is accessible with one or two taps and not hidden in some obscure sub-menus.
  • You don't need to create or register an account. Just download the app, subscribe the Tickers, that you like and wait for new news.
  • Trending messages
  • All your news are bundled in one app. The people really like the fact, that they can throw away other news and notifications apps, that are usually coupled to only one website
  • You have full control over the push notifications and subscribed news. You get exactly the messages, that you care about. Unlike other big news apps, where you can only subscribe to topics.
  • Compared to RSS readers, your mobile data usage is dramatically reduced and there's no data download in the background. RSS feeds are processed on the tickerfeed servers and only the new items are downloaded, when you open the app. RSS readers have to download every RSS feed again and check for new items, which can be a few megabytes.

Can I add my own Website/whatever?
Yes, you can add your own website or other websites, that are not already added to tickerfeed. I made a tutorial that shows you step-by-step how to create your own Ticker and add RSS-Feeds https://tickerfeed.rocks/tickertutorial.html. Compared to a RSS reader, it might look a little bit akward or complicated, but there are reasons for this. The idea was simple: If everyone adds the Tickers they like, the app get's better. It some sort of crowd-centric way of adding content to tickerfeed. If everyone takes a few minutes to create a Ticker with the text and logo, everyone benefits from this and you can share that easily with other people, and they can simply subscribe it.

Some Tickers
Here's a list of some Tickers, that you might interested in. You can also search for them in the "Explore"-Overview in the app. After navigating to the Tickers website, you can open the app (if it's installed) and directly subscribe the Ticker. If there's a website missing, that you would like to see in tickerfeed, please let me know and I'll add it for you. Or check out the mentioned tutorial and help to make tickerfeed better.

Windows Central
Android Central
iMore

the ONION
Rolling Stone
E! Online
IGN
Rock Paper Shotgun
ESPN

tickerfeed is available for free for all big platforms: Windows 10, Android and iOS. You can also find screenshots on the store websites.
* Download the Windows version
* Download the iOS version
* Download the Android version

Attachments

• timeline Kopie.jpg
    timeline Kopie.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 3
  • trending Kopie.jpg
    trending Kopie.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
  • wp_ss_20160510_0001.png
    wp_ss_20160510_0001.png