From a 930 to a 640 here why.

Ste Wilkins1

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Just the other day I bought myself a Lumia 640 to try out, because i wanted to see what ?129 get you these days.

I wasn't expecting much considering it such a cheap smartphone, but after setting it up surprised me greatly how good this phone actually is.

To me it doesn't feel any slower than the 930 running Windows 8.1 if anything it's actually smoother, why this should be i don't know maybe it to do with the lower rez ie 720p vs 1080p & LCD vs Amoled with regards to refresh rates ect.
Having Glance set to peek is brilliant
SD card slot that can also move most of the apps over to is a godsend, currently have 64GB card in my 640
Changing the back easily is great i currently got the orange one, as the black wasn't available at the time of buying, I've ordered a replacement Black back for it as i really don't like this Orange.

The Camera is very good for this price point granted the 930 camera is better, but I rate the camera on the 640 better than the Nexus 5 camera which wasn't to bad in good light & blitzes from similar price phones such as the Moto G ect.

Music quality now this did surprise me, the 930 had a tendency to hiss with my headphones which i could hear before the headphone jack failed that is :/, on the 640 the sound quality is actually better... alot better using same headphone hiss is alot less apparent & can go louder to I'm no audiophile but i can easily tell quality from the 640 is better than the 930 which i have just replace the jack myself.

Screen quality on the 640 is good decent sharpness & bright & no back-light bleed to look at it you wouldn't guess you was using a 720p screen & i do perfer LCD over Amoled because you don't suffer from screen burn than can happen on Amoled screens sometimes.

Battery life is superb I've got nearly 2 full days out of it from the first charge, plus adding a removable battery is a godsend should this battery have problems in the future, the 930 battery isn't all that great if you got a day out of it then you did good & it would get quite warm with only the basic of tasks, no such problem on the 640 it runs cool and only get slightly warm when gaming on it, which is perfectly fine at even with the Snapdragon 400.

Overall I'm more happier with the 640 than i currently am with the 930, I've decided to sell it to my brother, and hold out now for the Lumia 940 in the autumn & hopefully all of the flaws & problems with the 930 are addressed in the 940, and Microsoft gives us one killer of a handset to challenge the likes of Apple, Samsung ect.

If you been thinking of getting a cheap smartphone, then the 640 currently is the best you can get for under ?150 or $200 dollars.

decimus plancus

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The lack of headphone hiss: I am so glad someone mentioned that because I thought it was a notable improvement from my 920 and 635. I am not an audiophile but appreciate headphone silence when there is nothing playing and clarity in the sound when something is. Very impressed with this 640.

PretzelLogix

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Agree with you on all your points.

I've been thoroughly impressed with this phone from the day I got it. I only have a few very minor complaints and they're all with the WP 8.1 OS, not the Lumia 640 itself. Well, except for the lack of camera shutter button. That bothers me. Though, the double-tap on the screen to wake the phone is a very cool feature.

Jason Hendry

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I have ever used a phone smoother or that could be smoother than the 930 with 8.1 denim installed lol but for me a led screen is a no no, I would love glance but I wont give up a amoled for a led screen cause they just are not as good. To me I watch content on my 930 all the time and black is simply blacks, colour pops out, I don't get that on any led phone to date and I'm comparing that to the likes of the iPhone 6 plus. I guess its what you can accept or feel is good for your uses.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I have ever used a phone smoother or that could be smoother than the 930 with 8.1 denim installed lol but for me a led screen is a no no, I would love glance but I wont give up a amoled for a led screen cause they just are not as good. To me I watch content on my 930 all the time and black is simply blacks, colour pops out, I don't get that on any led phone to date and I'm comparing that to the likes of the iPhone 6 plus. I guess its what you can accept or feel is good for your uses.

Do you mean LCD or LED? AMOLED is LED technology. As fast as color, LED had outstanding black. But the trade off is potential burn in. No matter what each tech has its own advantages and disadvantages.

ribaunder1

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I also have both 640 and 930, but I rather use 640. Somehow it's just feels better and I don't need camera that much that it bothers me at all. And the camera isn't even bad in 640.

miguel11691

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Just the other day I bought myself a Lumia 640 to try out, because i wanted to see what ?129 get you these days.

I wasn't expecting much considering it such a cheap smartphone, but after setting it up surprised me greatly how good this phone actually is.

To me it doesn't feel any slower than the 930 running Windows 8.1 if anything it's actually smoother, why this should be i don't know maybe it to do with the lower rez ie 720p vs 1080p & LCD vs Amoled with regards to refresh rates ect.
Having Glance set to peek is brilliant
SD card slot that can also move most of the apps over to is a godsend, currently have 64GB card in my 640
Changing the back easily is great i currently got the orange one, as the black wasn't available at the time of buying, I've ordered a replacement Black back for it as i really don't like this Orange.

The Camera is very good for this price point granted the 930 camera is better, but I rate the camera on the 640 better than the Nexus 5 camera which wasn't to bad in good light & blitzes from similar price phones such as the Moto G ect.

Music quality now this did surprise me, the 930 had a tendency to hiss with my headphones which i could hear before the headphone jack failed that is :/, on the 640 the sound quality is actually better... alot better using same headphone hiss is alot less apparent & can go louder to I'm no audiophile but i can easily tell quality from the 640 is better than the 930 which i have just replace the jack myself.

Screen quality on the 640 is good decent sharpness & bright & no back-light bleed to look at it you wouldn't guess you was using a 720p screen & i do perfer LCD over Amoled because you don't suffer from screen burn than can happen on Amoled screens sometimes.

Battery life is superb I've got nearly 2 full days out of it from the first charge, plus adding a removable battery is a godsend should this battery have problems in the future, the 930 battery isn't all that great if you got a day out of it then you did good & it would get quite warm with only the basic of tasks, no such problem on the 640 it runs cool and only get slightly warm when gaming on it, which is perfectly fine at even with the Snapdragon 400.

Overall I'm more happier with the 640 than i currently am with the 930, I've decided to sell it to my brother, and hold out now for the Lumia 940 in the autumn & hopefully all of the flaws & problems with the 930 are addressed in the 940, and Microsoft gives us one killer of a handset to challenge the likes of Apple, Samsung ect.

If you been thinking of getting a cheap smartphone, then the 640 currently is the best you can get for under ?150 or $200 dollars.

GJSmyth

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Recently got a Lumia 930 second hand as upgrade from Lumia 830 which I gave to my in-laws.
The battery life issue is almost a deal breaker for me - the Lumia 830 has similar screen and processor to Lumia 640 so assume you have seen the battery life in reverse from my experience.
I don't like being worried about getting through the day without recharge! What a pain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss