Future of Office Mobile

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Nothing because it's going to change with the W10 update. :)

That's not what I'm asking. For those whose phones are not capable of running Windows 10 will they be left behind or will Microsoft update Office? I know that 10 will be an update and that the core apps that run on 10 will differ from those on 8.1. But will anyone on 8.1 get new functionality, sort of like what Google did with Hangouts with the Hangouts dialer for older versions of Android.

I suspect this won't be the case because Office for Android tablets has stricter requirements than Office for Android smartphones does. I'm also looking at the fact that, even if a user is eligible for the upgrade, that carriers could block it, but that would not happen with an update for an individual app.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You should be clearer with your question next time and not be so vague if you wanted some specific answer that nobody probably has the answer to.

As for now, the word is those who got WP8.1 should get W10, just not all the functions as some hardware won't be able to handle it. Which means unless you have some odd phone you should get W10.

That also depends if your carrier allows a release but I suspect that a developers preview like thing will happen which will allow phones to update regardless.

I don't see MS treating WP like Android gets treated. However I think this is probably the last update for WP8 first gen phones IMO.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
You should be clearer with your question next time and not be so vague if you wanted some specific answer that nobody probably has the answer to.

As for now, the word is those who got WP8.1 should get W10, just not all the functions as some hardware won't be able to handle it. Which means unless you have some odd phone you should get W10.

That also depends if your carrier allows a release but I suspect that a developers preview like thing will happen which will allow phones to update regardless.

I don't see MS treating WP like Android gets treated. However I think this is probably the last update for WP8 first gen phones IMO.

Your initial answer spoke to the state of the Windows Phone ecosystem once Windows 10 for Phones is released, which is it's own thing that has already been covered in the media I was wondering if anyone knew what may happen with the old software, as I only check Windows Central, but it appears to be anyone's guess at this point.
I would like to see something happen to Office on 8.1. But, if Microsoft is done with 8.1, as you've suggested, then we'll just have to deal with it or upgrade. The newer phones are $100, so it isn't that much out of pocket.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see something happen to Office on 8.1. But, if Microsoft is done with 8.1, as you've suggested, then we'll just have to deal with it or upgrade. The newer phones are $100, so it isn't that much out of pocket.

What phone do you have? Why would MS bother upgrading WP8.1 anyway when they said all WP8 phones were available to upgrade to W10.

The Android tablet version of Office is rather nice btw.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
What phone do you have? Why would MS bother upgrading WP8.1 anyway when they said all WP8 phones were available to upgrade to W10.

The Android tablet version of Office is rather nice btw.

The 635 which is a 512 MB RAM.

My tablet runs ICS so (Office) doesn't even show up on Google Play. My next one will be Windows 10. I'm not going back to Android, for anything, I had to learn the hard way.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The 635 which is a 512 MB RAM.

My tablet runs ICS so (Office) doesn't even show up on Google Play. My next one will be Windows 10. I'm not going back to Android, for anything, I had to learn the hard way.

The 635 is a newer phone so it will most definitely get W10. So I wouldn't worry about that. Unless you're carrier locked you should get the update.

I'm on Android now and have no issues, both phone and tablet. To each their own. You could probably put a custom ROM on your tablet to get to 4.4 but up to you.

I have a L920 awaiting the W10 TP, if it's available for update. It's my phone to play around with now.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
The 635 is a newer phone so it will most definitely get W10. So I wouldn't worry about that. Unless you're carrier locked you should get the update.

I'm on Android now and have no issues, both phone and tablet. To each their own. You could probably put a custom ROM on your tablet to get to 4.4 but up to you.

I have a L920 awaiting the W10 TP, if it's available for update. It's my phone to play around with now.

$40 well spent. I don't know I'm still on 8.10.12397.895 I suspect AT&T is holding me back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05