Galaxy Nexus 4

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy Nexus 4 to play with. It's the nicest phone LG has ever made. It's the $299 model with 8GB (Really 5.8GB) storage. What's nice is it's an unlocked pentaband, like all phones should be. It would be heaven for some one who loves Google. :grin:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow! That's a great deal.

I'm just wary of LG, since I haven't heard much good about their build quality (they mainly did dumbphones).

Then again, I'm not crazy about HTC either.

I doubt if I'd get any Android that wasn't from Samsung.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Good deal but I can't bring myself to support LG. It seems like they always make great innovative products that always have one major flaw. Usually that flaw is that their products are ugly, lol.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've heard mixed reviews about the Nexus 4. My issues with it are no LTE and being made by LG. For the price it is a bargain though, at least for a new phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Good deal but I can't bring myself to support LG. It seems like they always make great innovative products that always have one major flaw. Usually that flaw is that their products are ugly, lol.
My mother had an LG feature phone that lasted 4 years. I just haven't heard good things about their smartphones.

What company made the previous Nexus smartphones?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My mother had an LG feature phone that lasted 4 years. I just haven't heard good things about their smartphones.

What company made the previous Nexus smartphones?

Samsung made the the last one.

I actually have a LG Quantum that's been OK. It's gathering dust because I don't use it. I need to put it up for sale again - cheap.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Nexus One: HTC
Nexus S: Samsung
Galaxy Nexus: Samsung
Nexus 4: LG

I remember when it was rumored Verizon might get the Nexus One. I was in a lather over that one. Turns out they got the incredible instead, which was basically the same phone running HTC Sense instead of vanilla android. After the way Verizon treated the Galaxy Nexus it might be a while before they get a shot at another Nexus device.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I remember when it was rumored Verizon might get the Nexus One. I was in a lather over that one. Turns out they got the incredible instead, which was basically the same phone running HTC Sense instead of vanilla android. After the way Verizon treated the Galaxy Nexus it might be a while before they get a shot at another Nexus device.

Was the Galaxy Nexus available as a CDMA phone?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
So far so good with the Nexus 4.

A couple of things I don't like. The SIM tray is real flimsy and a micro SIM is a real tight fit. The Google Contacts server is terrible. It's up about 50% of the time. I got real tired of getting a "try again later message" doing contacts from my PC.

It had a good assortment of applications. One it was missing was a simple note/memo application.

I've installed, Amazon application store, Amazon MP3 cloud service, Air France, Flickr, MLB at bat, notepad and TuneIn radio pro. Which is all I really need. I didn't get charged for MLB at bat or Tunein radio pro from the Amazon application store, because I purchased them for my Galaxy S2, so I am sitting at 5.2 GB of available space, which is fine.

The camera isn't bad at all. It's no better or worse than my Galaxy S2. Bright day light shots are fine. Don't even bother with low light or night time shots. It doesn't come close to what my Nokia N8 or my wife's Nokia 808 can produce.

You have to give Google credit for updates. I've had numerous updates for Google applications and it's running Android 4.2.1 now.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad you are liking it. Google has really come a long way with android. They are systematically eliminating the weaknesses in the platform and staying on the cutting edge in their software.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see if this device is a big seller. It seems like "Android = Samsung" for the most part. Almost everyone I know who uses an Android device and is happy with it has a Samsung. They all pretty much hated the other Android OEMs especially due to the OEM skins (Moto Blur, HTC Sense) or else they had issues with hardware build quality (the HTC and LG devices particularly).

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how popular it will be in the US since it's not available for cdma carriers and it doesn't support LTE. I personally thing the galaxy S3 and Note 2 are better phones. Plain android is nice, but the phones from Samsung and HTC with skinned android usually have extra features that are nice.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how popular it will be in the US since it's not available for cdma carriers and it doesn't support LTE. I personally thing the galaxy S3 and Note 2 are better phones. Plain android is nice, but the phones from Samsung and HTC with skinned android usually have extra features that are nice.
Samsung seems to be the only Android OEM that does skinned Android right. Sense is really laggy.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see if this device is a big seller. It seems like "Android = Samsung" for the most part. Almost everyone I know who uses an Android device and is happy with it has a Samsung. They all pretty much hated the other Android OEMs especially due to the OEM skins (Moto Blur, HTC Sense) or else they had issues with hardware build quality (the HTC and LG devices particularly).

It must be selling pretty well. Two times before when I read it was in stock, by the time I went to the web site, it was sold out. Right now it says, Ships in 2 to 3 weeks.

Also: LG set to unveil new phones on Feb. 25 at Mobile World Congress LG set to unveil new phones on Feb. 25 at Mobile World Congress | Android Central It will be interesting see what they unveil.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung seems to be the only Android OEM that does skinned Android right. Sense is really laggy.

I personally like Sense better than Touchwhiz. I think Sense isn't as smooth, but it's not a huge difference. I've got a Rezound with ICS that my wife is using right now and it's not bad. It's no WP though.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It must be selling pretty well. Two times before when I read it was in stock, by the time I went to the web site, it was sold out. Right now it says, Ships in 2 to 3 weeks.

Also: LG set to unveil new phones on Feb. 25 at Mobile World Congress LG set to unveil new phones on Feb. 25 at Mobile World Congress | Android Central It will be interesting see what they unveil.

I've read on twitter about people having trouble getting them, some think it's supply issues and some think it's high demand. I guess if Google ever releases some sales figures we would know.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I was expecting the quad core processor to get hot watching videos or during navigation, but barely gets warm, so that's a good thing.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I dislike Android, but for that price point, I may give it a shot. No 4G LTE on AT&T is another reason I may hold off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeroyNoodle