Gave up on my One, back to 928

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
After battling constant overheating issues, I finally gave up. I'm deeply disappointed with this flagship experience. The problem has rendered my phone unusable and unreliable. My 928 is stable and never had issues. Btw I'm on Verizon. HTC have to get their act together if they want to sell flagship phones.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Did you try more than one M8? Because if it overheats it's defective, and receiving one defective device then giving up on the manufacturer is pretty solid logic.

Midniteryu

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Me and my wife both have M8s and though they can run hot depending on the app(s) your running at the time we've had no problems. Do you think it might just be a defect in the phone you had?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Post like this drive me completely insane... I'm glad you are staying with Windows Phone, but your rationale is just plain silly that it's HTC or Verizon's fault that your phone was overheating. Let's take a look at the first 2 things to try - that you made no mention of... but first... Is this only when gaming, because when you heat a quad-core processor up in an aluminum body, it will get really stinking warm. That's not a problem, but a reality of high powered smartphones. The little dual-core in the 928 stays quite a bit cooler, but under intense gaming it will still warm up quite a bit as well. Now, if it was a constant thing, you should have...

1) Full reset - only install needed Apps. Then see if overheating continues - if it does, uninstall all Apps and see if overheating continues. If it does, you have a defective device. Head to VZW store and swap it out.

2) Full reset - install all your See if overheating continues - if it does, check your battery save for what is using the battery. You'll probably see something like MSN Weather eating up 45% of the battery and causing the problem. Also, check the number of background tasks running on a regular basis.

If those happened and you swapped the device and still had issues, I'd check the charger you are using to see if it is the original OEM HTC charger or if you damaged the battery using a $2 charger from Amazon or Ebay. Then I would make sure that you are in a good coverage area - the radios may not be the same between the two devices and it could be swapping CDMA to LTE constantly. You can switch off one or the other to test that theory in the SIM settings.

All in all, there's about 200 different reasons any phone can overheat, but more often than not it is an App constantly running. How as the battery life when it ran hot? Was it really short? If so, you had something running in the background that was using a ton of processor.

Again, sorry to lose you from the M8, but happy you're staying on with WP!

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I am as frustrated and disappointed too. I have done most of your solutions above. I understand how the phone can heat up during regular use or by resource demanding app. This overheating is abnormal, since there are no pattern to the cause, and it will drain my entire phone's battery in one hour or so.

So I contacted HTC support. They asked me to reset the battery contacts by doing the following:

"We're going to reset the battery charging logic on the device. This essentially resets the way the phone and battery communicate, and can help resolve issues like this. To get started, make sure the phone has been charging for the last at least 10 minutes with no interruption and with the phone off. If so, make sure the phone is plugged in and turned completely off. Then you will press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power buttons for a full two minutes. Makes sure all 3 are held in the entire time. Once finished, let go and see if it powers up on it's own. If not, go ahead and attempt to manually start it back up with the power button.

After doing so, please charge the phone fully and run the phone a couple of hours to see if it improves, if the issue persist, please do not hesitate in get in touch with us."

The only thing you can't do, is powering the phone off while plugged in. So I had to do it without plug in.

So I am giving it a try and another shot at this great phone. Its been a few days and so far, no overheating yet - knock on wood! Will let you guys know.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It happened again, contacted HTC, they are replacing my phone.

Good that they are replacing the phone for you. I have not had any overheating issues, at all, with the One M8. One of my reasons for moving to the M8 was due to an overheating Icon - I know, I could have waited for the alleged firmware update which may have solved the problem, but I didn't want to.

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
After battling constant overheating issues, I finally gave up. I'm deeply disappointed with this flagship experience. The problem has rendered my phone unusable and unreliable. My 928 is stable and never had issues. Btw I'm on Verizon. HTC have to get their act together if they want to sell flagship phones.

When you say it over heats do you mean it stops functionality or is it warm to the touch because with heavy use it will get hot part of the aluminum body. If its the latter is a defective unit and needs to be sent back

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
3 days in with my replacement One M8, so far no overheating. I also noticed the battery last way longer now than before. Definitely a defective unit...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss