GDR2 is now on the way!

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, if i may ask a question to clear up some confusions. Does the update come from Microsoft as shown above(OTA), from the manufacturer i.e AMBER(OTA), or does the carrier have the final say?

The update is packaged at Microsoft and handed to the manufacturer. The manufacturer custom fits the update for each specific handset according to the hardware. The update is then handed off to the carrier to be tailored for their own network and services.

Microsoft is changing this up so that this process ends with the manufacturers in the future.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Tells me I'm up to date on my 8S on Bell but I'll keep checking throughout the day.

Anyone got the update?

If this is anything like Portico then no. Unlocked/unbranded phones will not get it first.

Edit: Also just checked on my BUILD L920 and it says its up to date.

Mine says it's up to date :,(

No need to check for updates everyone. This is just being passed to the manufacturers. It could be weeks before the manufacturers finish their own code and carriers sign off on the update.

There is still a decent amount of time to wait....

seelani

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Oooh thanks for the insight. :) Although when you say the carriers do extensive tests and tweaking. Hoping my carrier comes through, with minimal delays.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking that this means that the update is either RTM or is about to be, otherwise they wouldn't know specific build numbers. :grin:

seelani

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The update is packaged at Microsoft and handed to the manufacturer. The manufacturer custom fits the update for each specific handset according to the hardware. The update is then handed off to the carrier to be tailored for their own network and services.

Microsoft is changing this up so that this process ends with the manufacturers in the future.
That's good news making it easier for consumers to receive timely upgrades. :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I would not go to toilet 5 days if it comes this week, plz amber i need u come on

What the.. dude Amber is most likely to be released to us consumers in August as this most likely a sign as someone has said the update has been RTMed, so doubt you'd be able to hold out that long haha...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah - RTM means it was released to manufacturers, not consumers, or even necessarily carriers. There will still be efforts put into manufacturers and carriers both putting their own touches on it, as well as their own testing. I doubt we'll get it this month, though I would be VERY happy to be proven wrong.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Currently in Testing on Vodafone Australia, so people there and in NZ should be seeing it in the next 2/3 weeks hopefully.

tbrahe

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
My phone is updating now on Verizon, US. Please tell me it will fix the Bluetooth issues. Also happy to hear about the improved Xbox music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb