Getting a 900 this week...

robshoy

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I've currently got an iPhone 4 (not 4s), and my family is upgrading their phones (including mine) later this week?possibly even tomorrow.

Despite all the WP8/7.8 drama, I'm still going to go with a Lumia 900. I've gone into an AT&T store and played with the phone for a long time, and I can live just fine with the camera quality and lower-res screen (the way the colors pop really makes up for it :lol:). The only concerns I have are apps.

Really, there were only three that worried me: Instagram, Words with Friends, and Draw Something. Since we now know that the latter two are at least in development, that's calmed my nerves a bit. Is there any Instagram news that I'm missing?

Aside from Instagram, I was wondering if you could give me some tips on which apps to download. I'm really unfamiliar with the WP marketplace, so I could really use some tips.

Like, what's the best Twitter app? The best Foursquare app? The best Tumblr app? The best way to interact with Gmail? The best YouTube app? The best Wikipedia app? The best games for WP?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm about as much of a noobie as I could be :p. Thanks for taking the time to read all this. :)

Eject_Porkins

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Unless you absolutely need a new phone, I recommend holding out until the fall. You'd also do well with a good used phone from Craig's list. The 4 month wait for a Windows Phone 8 device will be worth it in the long run. Also, even though Words With Friends and Draw Something were announced, there's no guarantee they will work on current hardware.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad people are still going with the lumia 900 I really like mine and yea i'm not getting the win8 update I will still be ok with the phone .

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

Eject_Porkins

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow, just trying to give my best advice. Sorry OP, apparently waiting an extra few months is a crazy suggestion. Anyways, welcome, and you'll definitely enjoy your new phone. My girlfriend has had an iPhone for a few years and she's looking forward to this fall to make the switch.

Give the OP a break. Since robshoy sounds informed and obviosly been following the drama. I think the decision has been made. Here are my recommendations for apps:

For Twitter and FB I use the built in People Hub most times, then use the browser for times I need full functionality.

Just add Gmail account to phone.

Foursquare: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/c7d13b8d-9951-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

YouTube: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/1e92b202-f13b-4af4-94ff-a35caaa258c0

HishamElfar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I use Carbon WP for Twitter, the built in functionality of the phone for Facebook.

4th & Mayor for Foursquare, I don't think there is a Tumblr app, but I could be wrong.

Everything else I use the browser.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Wow, just trying to give my best advice. Sorry OP, apparently waiting an extra few months is a crazy suggestion. Anyways, welcome, and you'll definitely enjoy your new phone. My girlfriend has had an iPhone for a few years and she's looking forward to this fall to make the switch.

You're right, Mochi. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Sorry if I came out like a smartass. Friends? :)

emirozmen

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Had my L900 for 5 days now and I absolutely love it!
I use rowi for twitter.
Some must have apps are: Whatsapp, ESPN, Weather View, Skype, Marketplace, Tango Video Calls, Nokia Maps, Camera Extras, Pulse, Lists & Things, Connectivity Shortcuts, Cocktail Flow, IMDb, Spotify..... and the list goes on, for me at least :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Definitely consider Mehdoh for Twitter. For the rest, try this. Go to Marketplace and type in your search criteria; Instagram for example. Take a look at all the apps, 3 stars and above. Be very leery of any 5 star apps with only one or two wordless reviews. Ultimately, app choice is yours alone. Only you know what features are important to you.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Until those two Zynga games come out, keep in mind that there are cross platform equivalents: Wordfeud for WWF and Duudle for Draw Something (available on Android but not sure about iOS yet).

Wordament is a highly recommended game. Very addictive.

I'd second ninjaap's PrimeTube recommendation. Some people really like Super Tube, but PrimeTube's sharing features are better, which is important to me.

Have fun with your new Lumia, and don't forgot the WPCentral app!

robshoy

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I should also point out that since I am upgrading the phone through Amazon, the phone is only going to cost me one cent. A one cent Lumia is hard to pass up!

Thanks for all the app suggestions guys!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
When you get the phone, make sure to plug it into Zune and check for phone updates. If it's been sitting on the shelf for a while, you've got a couple updates you need to install.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
why would you not wait? Brand new devices come out in like 5 months. You will be stuck in 2 year contract and your pho...ahhh w.e. Do what you want.

AlexanderMatthews

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Because the Lumia is a fantastic device. 7.8 won't just have the start screen as the only upgrade. I'm sure whatever software wise gets upgraded then 7.8 should receive. If you'd rather wait for a hd screen, NFC, and a couple other features then by all means wait, but if that isn't a big deal then get the lumia.

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 900 coming this week too. I've read all the debates but honestly, I believe the current 900 will do everything I need especially add LTE and faster HSPA. I'm not a big gamer but I watch a lot of media and need email and web browsing.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The 900 on 7.5 is a great device. Not everybody needs to have the latest and greatest. Those that do should wait. Those that don't should have no trouble enjoying their 900 for a couple years.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Glad you came to the conclusion that the Lumia 900 will work for you because it is a pretty solid phone, not because of updates. To answer your question about Instagram, it depends.
If you're looking for something very close to Instagram's social thing (I've never used it be see that it pretty much uploads a photo to their servers so everyone can see), I'd say Fhotoroom works pretty well. I think Fhotoroom has the best filters out there, you can even use it without having to use Fhotoroom's service. I mainly just use it to apply filters to photos I've taken, then save it to the phone to upload from there; of course you can directly shoot from it and edit it in the app then upload it to their service which I believe also integrates into other Social outlets like Twitter and Facebook.
If you're looking for a more streamlined UI, Sophiecam works really well, I think this is closest to what Instagram's UI is from what I've seen when friends use it. There isn't a service for this, but rather you can upload directly to Facebook, Twitter or other social networks if I remember correctly. I'd recommend this one if you aren't looking for some backend service, but rather get it straight to your own private social network. One downside is this is only free for a limited time according to the developer, so grab it while you can.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
for that instagram bit, if facebook does manage to buy it im pretty sure u won't need to worry about it anymore :p

u'll love the phone, as i have with my 800, download all the Nokia apps, they are so far the most used on my phone lol, aside from those these are pretty useful as well
ConnectivityShortcuts
Dictionary.com (ya.. welll... my vocabulary aint that great ok...?)
Flashlight 7 (or any equivalent, u'll need it occasionally)
GasBuddy
PrimeTube
WPCentral ( :) )
GoDutch.... ok I'm kidding with this last one, im sry...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
there are plenty of apps that apply filters and post to facebook. Thats all you really want to do with Instagram isn't it? Instagram as a concept has no value, can't believe FB bought them....what a scam.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss