Getting my DVP tomorrow

kenji117

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I will be receiving my DVP tomorrow and just wondering what I should do first.
What do some of the other people with DVP's consider to be the a must have and what do WP7 users in general think is a must have for a WP7 device?

Are there any update I should or shouldn't get?

Also I have seen a post on the micro SDHC card to upgrade the DVP to 32gb but is there any exact way to know which will or wont work? or do I just have to hope I get lucky with one that is recognized. I would much rather buy the card at a actual store that way if I have any issues with it I can just return it without having to wait for shipping or anything.

Any info is appreciated and my next reply will be from my DVP...maybe. =P Cant stop clicking on refresh every so often on the fedex site hoping maybe if I do it enough It will arrive sooner. Feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Thank you
Kenji

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
1st thing I would test is downloading data over, choose a large game like Need for Speed to identify if they device is stable. Also try loading it with as much data as possible and test wifi again. For sd cards the recommended one is a Sandisk Class 2, though it can be hard to come by when ordered online. Only B&M stores that might sell it are VZW stores and Microcenter.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
1st thing I would test is downloading data over, choose a large game like Need for Speed to identify if they device is stable. Also try loading it with as much data as possible and test wifi again. For sd cards the recommended one is a Sandisk Class 2, though it can be hard to come by when ordered online. Only B&M stores that might sell it are VZW stores and Microcenter.

I agree,
they way to test that you have a good device is the download large games over wifi and if it becomes unstable while downlaoding call dell right away and exchange it ..
this will tell if you have a good sd card or not

kenji117

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I got it and I have just been fiddling with it once in a while cuz I want to let it charge but also want to use it. I have to wait on the WiFi. I won't be able to get access until my dad gets home.

Anybody know a good case for the phone?

MrKhaki

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone created a video of changing out the memory card? I'd like to have a better idea of what I'm opening up... before I open it up.

MrKhaki

May 3, 2011
Visit site
OK, replacing the micro SDHC card voids the warranty, but at this point is there really any downside to invalidating the warranty? What does the warranty cover and for how long?

I'm trying to justify buying the 32GB card and hopefully having a fully working phone.

gyrferret

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Dell Warranties are a joke unless the phone is defective to begin with. But ****, if every phone they send you is "defective", what's the point?

Post NoDo, it seems a large swatch of SD cards work, so I think you're pretty much set. I did it with a 16GB card I had laying around and it works like a charm now. Nothing I hate about the phone.

Venelar

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I bit the bullet... 32GB micro card on the way.

Good luck with it. I ordered my DVP and 32gb card on the same day as i had planned to go that route from the start. Phone came in 2 days before the card and it did suffer from the lockups. Swapped the card and haven't had 1 lockup since. Great phone.

My only lasting fear with the DVP is how they have seemingly dropped the ball on the firmware update thats been "coming" for months. Doesn't exactly give me "warm and fuzzies" for the mango update.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with it. I ordered my DVP and 32gb card on the same day as i had planned to go that route from the start. Phone came in 2 days before the card and it did suffer from the lockups. Swapped the card and haven't had 1 lockup since. Great phone.

yep, switching out the cards made all the difference in the world for me as well.

My only lasting fear with the DVP is how they have seemingly dropped the ball on the firmware update thats been "coming" for months. Doesn't exactly give me "warm and fuzzies" for the mango update.

In fairness, you're mixing apples and oranges here. Dell owns the firmware, Microsoft owns Mango. Dell might be slipping, and possibly badly, on the firmware handling, but Microsoft will definitely be releaseing Mango because it closes oh so many gaps in WP7 functionality.

Venelar

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
In fairness, you're mixing apples and oranges here. Dell owns the firmware, Microsoft owns Mango. Dell might be slipping, and possibly badly, on the firmware handling, but Microsoft will definitely be releaseing Mango because it closes oh so many gaps in WP7 functionality.

I really hope you are right. I'd just assume there is some level of OEM involvement with updates, and I'm skeptical. I'm hoping for the best though.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I really hope you are right. I'd just assume there is some level of OEM involvement with updates, and I'm skeptical. I'm hoping for the best though.

I wanted the new firmware because my bluetooth never disconnects when I get out of the car, so dell sent me a new phone with the latest firmware on it ...

gyrferret

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Problem now for me is that my speakers on the phone keep cutting out here and there. I wonder if a cable inside is loose. At any rate, I can't fix it only cause the warranty is gone when I swapped out the cards.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
yep, switching out the cards made all the difference in the world for me as well.

Raremage,
I did not know you had a Dell Venue Pro ?

I hope t hey come out with a lighter version with a front facing camera and 1.5 ghz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion