Glance not turning off

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Recently moved to 14388 on the slow ring from the release preview ring. Overall impressions are pretty good, battery life seems much improved over the release preview ring. Had an issue where no notifications from 3rd party apps were showing up, but that was solved with a soft reset (not sure why a reboot didn't simply fix things).

One nagging issue that I can't seem to figure out is with glance - when charging, the glance screen never seems to dismiss itself anymore. When on battery, it behaves according to the settings for timeout on battery, but I can't find any appropriate setting for when plugged in. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? It's incredibly annoying when I put the phone on the charger next to the bed, i've also got to put something on top of it so I can't see the screen at night (I do have night mode enabled so all I see is the clock, but that's still too much).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Recently moved to 14388 on the slow ring from the release preview ring. Overall impressions are pretty good, battery life seems much improved over the release preview ring. Had an issue where no notifications from 3rd party apps were showing up, but that was solved with a soft reset (not sure why a reboot didn't simply fix things).

One nagging issue that I can't seem to figure out is with glance - when charging, the glance screen never seems to dismiss itself anymore. When on battery, it behaves according to the settings for timeout on battery, but I can't find any appropriate setting for when plugged in. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? It's incredibly annoying when I put the phone on the charger next to the bed, i've also got to put something on top of it so I can't see the screen at night (I do have night mode enabled so all I see is the clock, but that's still too much).

I think that is a limited issue -probably will be solved by the next update if not by anniversary release

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

That's the new Redstone Glance: it keeps always on when plugged, like a night watch. We left feedbacks for removing that.

now you can put Glance night color in red, which is the color adviced by medics for helping sleeping (check it out: all night clocks are in red dots)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
That's the new Redstone Glance: it keeps always on when plugged, like a night watch. We left feedbacks for removing that.

now you can put Glance night color in red, which is the color adviced by medics for helping sleeping (check it out: all night clocks are in red dots)

I thought it was blue? The recommended colour

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Would confirm also the glance screen is "always on" when connected to power. It can only have time limits set when using battery.

Sent from mTalk

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Wow. 10 steps backwards if you ask me. You know whats better than a red light for sleeping No light at all. I'll have to go voice my displeasure with this.

Last edited:

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Wow. 10 steps backwards if you ask me. You know whats better than a fed light for sleeping ? No light at all. I'll have to go voice my displeasure with this.
Do it up.

My solution in the meanwhile?
Flip the phone on it's face while charging. The proximity sensor will shut the screen off.

ULinSL

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Same, can't stand that Glance stays on while charging! I've been turning Glance off while my 640 is plugged in. I up voted all feedback topics related to this.

Lumia 640 on 14295

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Same, can't stand that Glance stays on while charging! I've been turning Glance off while my 640 is plugged in. I up voted all feedback topics related to this.

Lumia 640 on 14295

YET, some of us prefer it that way. I work in full screen (time not visible) on my laptop, Glance screen is my clock.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
YET, some of us prefer it that way. I work in full screen (time not visible) on my laptop, Glance screen is my clock.
That's why options are awesome, especially given that this behavior was an option a few builds ago. Boggles the mind that they removed it.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Maurizio Troso
Originally Posted by TrickyDee42
What about us guys with OLED screens, we going to get burn in, or have they started drifting around the screen again?

Put Glance in red color in night mode, blue dots are the dramatically most sensible (and glowing red light helps sleeping)

In fact green would be better, green oleds last for more than 300 000 hours when red last 160 000 and blue something like 20 000, that's an average I found last time I searched for it on the net, 8 months ago.
That's why I avoid blue item on single spot of the screen for to long and blue wallpaper.
About the glance, it's a shame this option was removed. I usually set glance in green night mode for all the day long, but now I will also have to put the phone screen down when charging.

Nota: I checked and only green oled or red one are lit when using night mode, that are "pure" color.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz