Gmail Server Search

gandhirushi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

It has been a very well known and annoying problem with Gmail on windows phone 8. While setting up Gmail, there is an option within the sync settings 'download email from' and then when I select 'any time', my phone seems to take forever to sync. I waited for days but phone kept syncing and gets very hot and battery dies in 3-4 hours. Agreed I have my Gmail account since several years and have many many emails, but my older iPhone had no problems syncing all email quickly and would allow server search in case I only synced for previous two weeks. Why does windows phone not support this? This is ridiculous. Why can I not perform server search for Gmail on WP8?? Is there anything I am missing? Will this be fixed in WP8.1 update? Please help.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah what are the correct settings for Gmail within the WP email app? I used to have Gmail setup through the Exchange settings back in the day and it worked great - no battery drain issues. I got a new phone and then tried setting it up by selecting Google in the account settings option but that ate through my battery. No I'm using metromail but really don't like it and want gmail integrated back into the stock mail app without the crazy battery drain.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Strange! I have never ever faced sync issues with Gmail in my WP8. I tried "Anytime" option and guess what it started retrieving emails in few seconds.

anon(4608)

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
  1. Go to Settings > email+accounts > add an account > Exchange
  2. Type your email address and password, and press ‘sign-in’.
  3. You will be prompted to re-check your login info. Remove your username from the ‘User name’ field. Press ‘sign-in’ again and you will be prompted to ‘try again’ or go to ‘advanced’ settings. Select ‘advanced’, scroll to bottom press ‘show all settings’.
  4. In the ‘Server’ field, enter m.google.com
  5. Also ensure to select 'Server requires encrypted (SSL) connection'.
  6. Choose your ‘Account name’
  7. Select setting for how to ‘Download new content’. ‘based on my usage’ setting is the best.
  8. Select setting for how many days of email to download to your phone.
  9. Select the type of ‘content to sync’.
  10. You should be able to login and have your content sync immediately.

Let me know if it works out.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
  1. Go to Settings > email+accounts > add an account > Exchange
  2. Type your email address and password, and press ‘sign-in’.
  3. You will be prompted to re-check your login info. Remove your username from the ‘User name’ field. Press ‘sign-in’ again and you will be prompted to ‘try again’ or go to ‘advanced’ settings. Select ‘advanced’, scroll to bottom press ‘show all settings’.
  4. In the ‘Server’ field, enter m.google.com
  5. Also ensure to select 'Server requires encrypted (SSL) connection'.
  6. Choose your ‘Account name’
  7. Select setting for how to ‘Download new content’. ‘based on my usage’ setting is the best.
  8. Select setting for how many days of email to download to your phone.
  9. Select the type of ‘content to sync’.
  10. You should be able to login and have your content sync immediately.

Let me know if it works out.

what to enter for domain? I have everything entered like you suggest but the "sign in" button is greyed out

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Exchange sync has long been disabled by Google (12/31/2013). Server search is now in Windows Phone 8.1. Just wait for it or get developer preview.

gandhirushi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Exchange sync has long been disabled by Google (12/31/2013). Server search is now in Windows Phone 8.1. Just wait for it or get developer preview.

So.. Just to clarify, after I get the official wp8.1, I will be able to search for old Gmail emails via server search on my windows phone?!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander