Going to AT&T today about Hotspot and LTE how do I make them understand

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
i have a 950XL dual sim, unlocked, bought from US online microsoft store.
I had my previous sim card from a Lumia 520 (my previous daily while i waited for these) and i chatted with ATT online and had them provision it for the an ATT 640 that i had that was unlocked.
I checked that the 640 had LTE.
Then chatted with ATT to try and get the imei of the 950XL provisioned... they tried but couldnt get it working... told me the "two weeks" story like others have heard...
Only had Edge sometimes, not even 4g.
SO i gave them the imei of the 640 again and popped the sim card back into the 950XL.
Then i did a hard reset - from the update menu...
but when the phone restarted i did NOT allow wifi to be setup - told it to continue with apps etc. first.
Then went to APN settings, created new APN settings for ATT but did NOT apply them.
Turned off cell data.
Applied the new APN settings.
Turned on cell data.
Had Edge data when i needed it now, instead of not even getting anything.
Then about 30 minutes later, LTE popped up.... and about 6 days now of LTE without it losing it... in various locations... speed tests show about 7Mbs up / 9 down at work and about 27Mbs down and 9 Mbs up at home.
Not sure what exactly did the trick, but i think it may be the hard reset and not allowing wifi to be setup during that initial setup screen.
Also, during the last chat with ATT rep - who seemed more knowledgeable and had a 640 himself - he told me to go outside and get clear of buildings to get the tower to see my phone... not sure if that helped, but that is worth trying also... as you know some Bands have trouble penetrating buildings...

Good luck...

I took my sim card and stuck it in my iPhone 6S from which it came. Only 4G there as well, with no LTE even though my wife's has LTE. I've emailed my AT&T guy (on a business account and can't just login or call to make changes to my account) to see if he can help.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would step up and talk to their "premier partner" AT&T about developing and promulgating a known and repeatable process for successfully activating these devices. As soon as an associate sees you have an XL they should be able to access a service bulletin or something that walks them through a detailed activation process, including whatever known workaround's and/or watch-out's have been identified.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed! At this point, having a customer calling up to provision a new Lumia 950(XL) is far from an unknown\unexpected request. I suspect there have been thousands by now.

Having said that, even without the desired DOCUMENTATION for the customer service person to follow, we have all mostly learned the trick(s) to get everything working perfectly, other than VVM. I still can't understand why fellas like "jayk82" can't get LTE and Hotspot working. Just doesn't make sense.

I'm just glad he has the patience. I hope he gets his just reward.

I don't feel like VVM is going to get sorted though. Hope I'm wrong.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Agreed! At this point, having a customer calling up to provision a new Lumia 950(XL) is far from an unknown\unexpected request. I suspect there have been thousands by now.

Having said that, even without the desired DOCUMENTATION for the customer service person to follow, we have all mostly learned the trick(s) to get everything working perfectly, other than VVM. I still can't understand why fellas like "jayk82" can't get LTE and Hotspot working. Just doesn't make sense.

I'm just glad he has the patience. I hope he gets his just reward.

I don't feel like VVM is going to get sorted though. Hope I'm wrong.

Thanks snakebitten. I've had at&t provision my iPhone 6S Plus with my sim card in it, verifying I have LTE & hotspot working, then place my sim in my L950XL. Still no dice. Just trying to hold out for a fix on either AT&T or Mkcrosoft's side.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Finally! For some reason, when I gave AT&T my IMEI from my iPhone 6S Plus then put the sim into my 950XL, I still would only get 4G while the iPhone got LTE.

Decided to give AT&T the IMEI from my 640, and what do you know, LTE! I'm on a business account with AT&T and I'm not authorized to make changes on the account, so I was having to go through the person in my office who is authorized. I don't know if it was the guy on AT&T's end, or some sort of glitch as to why it wouldn't work with my iPhone's IMEI, but I don't care. Finally working!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria