GPS not recording distance accurately on Band 2, is anyone else having this problem?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

GPS not recording distance accurately on band 2

The last two runs my normal 3.5 mile run with my band 2 has become a 3 mile run. I make sure that GPS is locked before starting to run. Band isn't on power saver. The first mile buzz is well off from what it normally is. The average pace is well off too or I've gotten a lot slower. Total time for the run is the same. Anyone else having this problem?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My Bands (both versions) have always been consistent as opposed to various phones I've used over the past year. The only inconsistency I've noticed is one time I tried the GPS saver mode. A normal 2.46 mile wind through my neighborhood was measured at 2.18 miles with a lot of corners cut. I was hoping that the GPS saver mode would use the step counter to estimate the distance between the GPS locks, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

Can you look at the maps to see where the discrepancies in your distance are occurring? My phones always add between 3 to 10 percent more distance because the paths record as a squiggly line. The Band always measures a smooth path indicating better precision.

John Hitt

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Recent updates lead me to believe the GPS tracking problem you are experiencing is occurring on my band. My recordation of bike riding is fouled up. Specifically the elevation recording is way off. I know this because the trails I ride are regulary recorded for elevation by me and my fellow mountian bikers on Strava. My band records 3000 ft elevation gains when the real number is closer to 1000 feet. You may be on to something with the save GPS mode, as this issue arrived at the same time this new functionality was effectuated via the updates earlier this month.

I guess it is time to turn off the GPS saver mode and see if the elevation recordings become true again.

Best Regards.... John

sebastien de rosa

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: GPS not recording distance accurately on band 2

The last two runs my normal 3.5 mile run with my band 2 has become a 3 mile run. I make sure that GPS is locked before starting to run. Band isn't on power saver. The first mile buzz is well off from what it normally is. The average pace is well off too or I've gotten a lot slower. Total time for the run is the same. Anyone else having this problem?

Hi,
I experienced quite the same kind of troubleshooting with my band 2. Worst is I have booked a checkup session at the medical center to verify if everything is fine with me as my average sped along those last 10-15 years has always been the same around 10 to 11 km / hour and now it dropped to 8 to 9 km / hour. As I moved recently I did not question the distance the band's gps gave me, until last week end when I did it by car using waze. It looks like the Microsoft band added around 1km to an initial trip of 5km, meaning that when I actually ran 6km my band showed only 5 and calculated all along according to that measure of the distance!!! Happy to finally have found someone with same issue, I will still do the checkup to be sure that I can handle slightly higher pace!

sebastien de rosa

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Need to add that my running trip is quite straightforward, along a bank, so no curves that could trigger a different estimation of the distance. However I did not try to shut the battery saver down. Will try and keep you guys posted! All the best, Sebastien

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs