Groove Pass - how to seperate Groove Pass subscriber downloads from the music i own?

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I made the mistake of combining all my music into one folder. This includes music files I have ripped from CD's I purchased and own, music files I have purchased from Microsoft, Apple and other locations, and music files I have downloaded using my Zune/XBOX Music/Groove pass over the years. They all sit in E:\Music\Subscription (with each subfolder being the artist name, and then the next tier being the album name). I did this because I wanted to manage all the music for an artist in one folder. Now I realize that I don't want this because I want to be able to backup only those files that I own, and not any I downloaded via my Microsoft music subscription over the years. I don't need to back those songs up because if I lose my computer/hard drive, I can just re-download them later. But the music that I own (especially those I have ripped from CD) would be harder to get back (I would have to rip all my CD's again).

Long story short, does anyone know an easy way to separate all this combined music using any kind of method?

At the moment it looks like Groove Pass is using WMA as their file type so I could look for all WMA files. But I realized for a while that I was ripping to WMA as well (I now rip to MP3). Thoughts? Any tools I need to do this? Or am I going to have to manually go through these folders one at a time and figure out which file type is which. At last check, I had
29,922 MP3 files and 24,020 WMA files. (NOTE: I used to download Zune pass music extensively because you could lay it in WMA alongside your own music. Can't do THAT anymore with Groove Pass. )

Thanks in advance!

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Perfect! That's exactly what i needed. I was able to move all my DRM-protected music to one folder and my DRM-free music to another. Now i am slowly building up my Spotify collection by going through that list of DRM-protected music, one-by-one, and saving it in Spotify (if they have it). I just didn't want to forget that i liked these songs i subscribed to for so many years (but didn't purchase).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12