Group Messaging with iPhone users

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone successfully got a Group SMS Messaging running with some iPhone users?

I know that in the Messaging app you can enable "Group Messaging", and I've read that on the iPhone you can enable some kind of MMS Group Messaging, but wondered if anyone has worked out the steps to make this work?

Thanks!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone successfully got a Group SMS Messaging running with some iPhone users?

I know that in the Messaging app you can enable "Group Messaging", and I've read that on the iPhone you can enable some kind of MMS Group Messaging, but wondered if anyone has worked out the steps to make this work?

Thanks!

Maybe not particularly helpful, but doesn't Groups in people hub work the same way for you?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a howto on this that works? I've seen suggested options to enable on the iPhone but don't have several here to test. Need to tell my wife so she can tell her friends what to do now she's left the iPhone fold.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I am currently in a group message on my Lumia 920 with an iphone 4 users and 2 galaxy S3 users... I didn't have to do anything special to make it work so I don't know.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I always thought there are two ways to do group messaging:

1) select multiple users in the same text as recipients.
2) make a group of friends in People hub - send that group a text.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Everyone has to have group messaging enabled on their own phone for it to work properly. MMS is how all the phones keep it grouped together. If someone does not have the group messaging enabled, their SMS will only go to the original sender, not "reply all"
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Guys... so I have the answer to my problem.

Apple is the problem:

If you've ever had an iPhone and users have been messaging with you via iMessage, then when you change your iPhone to a Windows Phone, it causes problems.

This is because Apple has your phone number registered as an iMessage device and all your iPhone friends phones try and respond using iMessage only. Apparently forever, since I've had this a couple of weeks now.

Thankfully I still have the iPhone here - so I switched it on tonight and went into the options (connected via Wifi to Apple). I then turned off the option to use iMessage in the Settings/Messages.

My friend had to reboot his phone at this point for it to work out my phone was still not an iMessage device... I guess it is possible that with a little time it may have caught up too.

Note: I also had to go into the WP Messaging Settings and switch on Group Messaging.

So... we can now group chat, and what should have been simple was a pigs ear because of Apple. And thankfully I still had my phone!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I also had the issue of imessage with my number being associated with imessage. I finally got it fixed after a couple of hours of trying to get it to work about 4months ago.

As for group messaging, couple of notes. You need to turn on the option on settings/ messaging. #2 Verizon wp8 do not support group text. Android doesn't support group text. Only IOS and windows phone (WP8 on at&t and mobile) support it. On IOS it is supported on all carriers. Wp7 group messaging works on all carriers, just make sure to turn it on.

What I mean support, anyone can send a message to 10 friends. What happens next is what makes it different, on android and Verizon wp8, the message looks like a singular text from one person. Then when somebody else replies, it looks like another text... on IOS, or wp8 on other carriers, you see everyone who the message was sent to in one thread..

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am currently in a group message on my Lumia 920 with an iphone 4 users and 2 galaxy S3 users... I didn't have to do anything special to make it work so I don't know.
+1. Group messaging has been working from Day 1 for me with no intervention by me. I know on iOS, you have to enable the function as it isn't enabled by default.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
What I mean support, anyone can send a message to 10 friends. What happens next is what makes it different, on android and Verizon wp8, the message looks like a singular text from one person. Then when somebody else replies, it looks like another text... on IOS, or wp8 on other carriers, you see everyone who the message was sent to in one thread..
So, I guess, it is like Whatsapp group messaging function.(atleast what I use on iOS)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle