HAAC Microphones for Rich Recording on Lumia 920?

liamjanin

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So a while back news sites were reporting that the 920 will have the same HAAC Rich recording mics as the 808. After hearing how impressive they are, can anyone confirm if they are in the Lumia 920?

IF anyone has one, maybe post up a video recording something loud? vs another phone would be great too. It worries me that Nokia didn't market this feature as loudly as they did on the 808. Will it be another 2nd class version?

Here's a nice video from Nokia explaining rich recording:
Nokia Rich Recording in Nokia 808 PureView Explained - YouTube

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, it is a "2nd class" version as it's only mono. But it should provide the same quality of recording. Just in mono instead of stereo... Anyone has tested yet?

Yakkaimono

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
xsever has tested it I think. There is a video he recorded with loud music in the background in his thread in the wp general section. Sounded pretty nice to me.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's no concert video, but should at least assure that it can take some pounding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=loxDegj3fFE

As 808 owner the rich recording on that phone is just as big of a leap as the camera, if not even a bit more. If Lumia 920 can perform even close to that i will be really happy.
Nokia 808 PureView recording live concerts for the next generation in Youtube | nokiagadgets.com
Nokia 808 PureView vs Galaxy S III concert video recording and sound | nokiagadgets.com

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I heard that the 920 actually has 3 of these microphones placed in a triangle formation near the rear of the device. xsever's loud test the other day really made it sound like its working well!

If these microphones are mono, that means that they're only recording one channel of sound but at a much less distorted rate than any other phone out there, correct? Or do I have this all backwards?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The sound recording on he 808 impresses me more than anything else on the phone...

I recorded this couple of weeks ago at a club in SF.. over 120 decibels for sure, no problem.. i love it. You can turn it up as loud as you want and there is no distortion.

Vessel SF - Rich Recording - YouTube

So if the 920 has the same mic, this should be possible.. it will be in mono, but still.

They need to port this over to Win NT .. I don't know what is preventing them, but hopefully the next flagship will have it all.

camajise

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
920 has the same 3 rich recording mics that the 808 does. I believe it has 3 so it can record stereo while held vertically or horizontally. 920 though can only record in mono until there's an update to the WP8 software. I believe MS was late to finalize the software and get it out to its partners.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
920 has the same 3 rich recording mics that the 808 does. I believe it has 3 so it can record stereo while held vertically or horizontally. 920 though can only record in mono until there's an update to the WP8 software. I believe MS was late to finalize the software and get it out to its partners.

If that's true that would indeed explain some of the points.

Nokia did confirm on their Q&A that L920 recorded sound in mono, but had the rich recording mic. Yet there has been talk about it having 3 mics.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ yes.. same deal as the 808, just mono.. so it doesn't sound as "alive" but stil Very nice :) I hope they can get the stereo to work soon.. but even without that, its way ahead of the competition.

Just for reference

here is one from my ip5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bz2lw6WxEk

and here are the HAAC mics at work in the exact same conditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOERF488sYc

ps. He/She stopped right before the drop .. sad..

Last edited:

liamjanin

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait to see something from an outdoor concert, with comparisons too. 3 mics and it only records in mono though? seems like a waste. Nokia produced the comparison video of the 808 vs the rest.

If HAAC is in there in some way, I definitely think they should do the same thing to help sell this phone. They are leaning on the camera which so far has had mixed reviews. At the moment I'm trying to sell the phone to myself

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ Nokia is really bad at advertising their phones.. the 920 is way ahead in terms of audio recording.. yes, it is mono, but there is no distortion which is more important. The iphone 5 is pathetic when it comes to audio recording... here is how it looks like next to the HAACs of the 808

This is extracted from a video recorded at exactly the same time at a night club.
YdCdh.jpg

Most other smartphones are no different.

I really hope they can enable stereo recording.. why would they put 2/3 mics on there if they weren't planning on doing something with them.. yes, they work of noise cancelation but I don't see a reason for all 3 to be HAAC just for that reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers