Has ANYONE had their SP3 overheating fixed by replacing the unit?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
From what I see, overheating on the Surface Pro 3 is an all-inclusive epidemic.

They try to play it down to only affect a "small number of i7 models," when the reality is that I - amongst MANY others - are having overheating like crazy all the time. It's been happening since I bought my i5/8GB/256GB on day one of it's release. Initially, I chalked it up to the scenario of a new device getting obligatory updates... but it still overheats like crazy when I'm doing any damn thing. I can just do a light web browsing session... 15-20 minutes later, it will have undoubtedly elevated to the level in which I fear it might catch fire.

Well aware that some sites increase load because they aren't coded efficiently, but they're the same sites I visit on my ASUS VivoTab Note 8 (another Windows 8 tablet) without it even showing the slightest bit of warmth. I'd expect the fans to kick on when I game, but it kicks on for everything. Watching a locally stored video, listening to music, downloading a video through RealPlayer... and honestly, I was able to play L4D at 1080p on my old SP2 without the fans getting too out-of-control... but the one that dumbfounds me the most is that it'll be in a completely idle state, yet overheating just minutes after I put it in the SP3 docking station. Oh, and I can't even get through a fire strike test. I'll get the temp icon and she's gotta cool down before she'll even power on again.

Considering that I actually paid more for a higher-specced machine, got the keyboard and paid for the docking station, I didn't go cheap at all... so it's kind of upsetting (even moreso because Surface Pro 2 kept cool under stress).

Forums (which often make me wonder if they're filled with Microsoft shills) often want to pretend no such issue is real and that my issue must be a defective unit... but with so many reports that people have replaced their unit 3-4 times with the same overheating, I can help but feel like I'd be swapping it out for another unit that gives me the same problems. So I ask; has anyone who's been experiencing overheating issues had it resolved simply by taking advantage of the warranty and swapping it out... or should I just sell it now and go back to my combination of Lenovo laptop and ASUS tablet?

When I got my Surface RT, I had to swap it out because of a blown speaker and it took freaking forever... I'd like not to wait so long and run into the same crap.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried recovering you SP3 back to factory yet? Actually I recommend downloading a fresh recovery image (Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface), Backup all your stuff first, then do a recovery. Follow the instructions from this post (http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...are-10-28-keeps-reinstalling.html#post2860570)

After, go straight to the Control Panel Windows updates, and make sure you do the latest firmware first, and only the firmware (deselect all the other updates). Only after the firmware has cleanly installed, do the rest of the updates. Then restore your data, and reinstall your apps and programs.

I hate to say this, once I did this, my SP3 has been running EXTREMELY well. The fan rarely kicks in (i7) and when it does it's at low speed. I'm not sure what MS did in the downloadable recovery image, but they fixed a bunch of issues.

kpfogey

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
it could possibly be some background process eating up all your sp3's resources... did you try looking at task manager and/or Sysinternals' Process Explorer to see what's running? It could be nefarious malware

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
From what I see, overheating on the Surface Pro 3 is an all-inclusive epidemic.

They try to play it down to only affect a "small number of i7 models," when the reality is that I - amongst MANY others - are having overheating like crazy all the time. It's been happening since I bought my i5/8GB/256GB on day one of it's release. Initially, I chalked it up to the scenario of a new device getting obligatory updates... but it still overheats like crazy when I'm doing any damn thing. I can just do a light web browsing session... 15-20 minutes later, it will have undoubtedly elevated to the level in which I fear it might catch fire.

Well aware that some sites increase load because they aren't coded efficiently, but they're the same sites I visit on my ASUS VivoTab Note 8 (another Windows 8 tablet) without it even showing the slightest bit of warmth. I'd expect the fans to kick on when I game, but it kicks on for everything. Watching a locally stored video, listening to music, downloading a video through RealPlayer... and honestly, I was able to play L4D at 1080p on my old SP2 without the fans getting too out-of-control... but the one that dumbfounds me the most is that it'll be in a completely idle state, yet overheating just minutes after I put it in the SP3 docking station. Oh, and I can't even get through a fire strike test. I'll get the temp icon and she's gotta cool down before she'll even power on again.

Considering that I actually paid more for a higher-specced machine, got the keyboard and paid for the docking station, I didn't go cheap at all... so it's kind of upsetting (even moreso because Surface Pro 2 kept cool under stress).

Forums (which often make me wonder if they're filled with Microsoft shills) often want to pretend no such issue is real and that my issue must be a defective unit... but with so many reports that people have replaced their unit 3-4 times with the same overheating, I can help but feel like I'd be swapping it out for another unit that gives me the same problems. So I ask; has anyone who's been experiencing overheating issues had it resolved simply by taking advantage of the warranty and swapping it out... or should I just sell it now and go back to my combination of Lenovo laptop and ASUS tablet?

When I got my Surface RT, I had to swap it out because of a blown speaker and it took freaking forever... I'd like not to wait so long and run into the same crap.

What you see is obviously only your perception of things and is absolutely not accurate. There is no epidemic of overheating SP3s. What there are some noted problems with some i7 models, isolated examples of hardware defects in other models (they happen even to Apple), and miscellaneous comments on forums (the last place to get an accurate count) that also seldom provide substantiating details. They are not being returned or even serviced in huge numbers and you can generally get a call back from Surface support in under a minute.

If you have a problem then get it serviced. If, on the other hand, you have a problem and choose to not get it serviced because it might take some time, you have only one person to blame. As to how to expedite service, I gave advice in an addendum to this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...i3-i5-i7-reliability-surface-support-rep.html. The other post here mentioning downloading a new factory image is also a good idea and will expedite service if still necessary. On that front, with a reasonable internet connection speed, you can download the recovery image, create the flash drive, and do the reset in under 90 minutes with most of that being the download and flash drive setup. I just did it this weekend.

With respect to how long it takes to get a replacement machine via Surface support, the advance option will take three days in most of the US and you ship back the defective unit after receipt of the replacement. If the replacement order gets into the system too late in a day or on a weekend shipment may take an extra day. This does require placing a hold on a credit card until the defective unit is returned but the charge is at their cost, not full retail price. The slower approach takes seven to ten days and requires you to ship first. BTW, Surface support will freely tell you they do not service defective units, any more than Apple services defective iPads. Regardless of which option you choose, the result is an exchange, not some lengthy wait on repairs....

wookiee2cu

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site
I have an i7 256gb and the only time the fan comes on is during updates and when I'm on a football site that is flash and constantly updating. It will get relatively warm but I've never had my machine shut down on me and as soon as the updates are done or I leave the football site the fan stops a few minutes later.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried recovering you SP3 back to factory yet? Actually I recommend downloading a fresh recovery image (Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface), Backup all your stuff first, then do a recovery. Follow the instructions from this post (http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...are-10-28-keeps-reinstalling.html#post2860570)

After, go straight to the Control Panel Windows updates, and make sure you do the latest firmware first, and only the firmware (deselect all the other updates). Only after the firmware has cleanly installed, do the rest of the updates. Then restore your data, and reinstall your apps and programs.

I hate to say this, once I did this, my SP3 has been running EXTREMELY well. The fan rarely kicks in (i7) and when it does it's at low speed. I'm not sure what MS did in the downloadable recovery image, but they fixed a bunch of issues.
Shouldn't hate to say that at all! In the whole time I've been battling Surface Pro 3 overheating, this is about the only suggestion that isn't: A) Suggestions for obvious actions that anyone tech savvy enough to operate bios has checked months prior to making a thread... and B) doesn't sound like a randomly generated corporate save-face response.

I has no idea downloadable recovery images were an option for the SP3. I'll definitely give that a try.

Jonathan Brown5

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
All good advice, except it's not just his perception. Having had overheating problems myself on an i5 S3, I've found entire threads of i5 owners having overheating issues not related to any particular usage on their part (like playing games for hours,etc.). It's a little demeaning to say it's an isolated problem, when it so obviously isn't.

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
These kind of problems are hard to describe, and people have different perceptions of what overheating is, therefore there is a chance that this problem is not as widespread or serious.
As you describe it, you are not experiencing overheating, but problems with simple tasks taxing your CPU "too much" and causing more heat. There is a difference imo, since overheating would be your device failing and shutting down.

That being said, I have the same model as you, and have had it replace once because of a bad digitizer in the screen, and it only took 5 days before I had a replacement. On my first unit I experienced the same scenarios with "heating problems" as you describe. What helped me was a reset of the device, either full whipe or a refresh should do it.

Have you done this? Refreshed/reset your device?? I can't make that out from your posts.

If it doesn't work the first time, try a full reset (Again) and make sure to install all updates before doing anything else. Give it a few days before you make you judgement, as it takes time for the system to "settle in".
Other than that I would suggest changing the setting of Windows Update to NOT install updates automatically, set it to "Download, but let me choose when to install". I've experienced that if windows installs updates automatically the "Windows installer module" goes crazy sometimes, and will tax the CPU for no apparent reason, sucking you battery life and making the device hot.

If this doesn't fix the problem I would suggest exchanging it, as there could be a hardware defect of some sort. Don't worry won't take long, especially if you choose the advanced exchange as suggested by others!

Cheers

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
All good advice, except it's not just his perception. Having had overheating problems myself on an i5 S3, I've found entire threads of i5 owners having overheating issues not related to any particular usage on their part (like playing games for hours,etc.). It's a little demeaning to say it's an isolated problem, when it so obviously isn't.

I don't think anyone is doubting that you have seen a thread with owners expressing their issue with the problem, however the "isolated" part is based off of % of sales. Let's say 150 people in a single forum complain, heck we can raise it to 1k it if you like. That's still a small % of total sales which eludes to the "isolated" statements. It's obviously an issue that has been proven online and even by MS themselves. But to say that it is a major problem is not basing it off of the # of individual cases/# of sales of that unit. Now it's most definitely a major issue to the individual who paid good $ for it, as I too would be upset.

Being in IT for 30+ yrs and constantly making bulk orders of just about every major named IT gear, I can honestly say that I've never seen a single company put out a product without many issues. You can confirm this by the many complaints in the multitude of forums out there. However I'm not so blinded to know that not every issue is a major issue in the grand scheme of things. Also I don't spend good $$ on anything without doing my due diligence prior to purchase. I must say that MS has been addressing issues and as for me and my i7, we are chugging along fine. I stress that for everyone who has a legitimate issue, to get it addressed/replaced, so you too can enjoy the SP3.

Sorry for the spill and it wasn't to Jonathan, but just from the many comments across many forums, that led to me getting it off my chest. I give MS, Apple, Dell, HP, etc all their props where due in both good and bad times...especially since I own/use them all.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the cheapest model...i3?. It runs great. Hope I don't have those problems.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've re-done everything from the downloadable recovery image.... made sure the Firmware updates were run before anything else, then knocked out all the updates. Took a while for other misc services to finish doing their setups but now it's back in action.

Went ahead and re-tried the same test I usually do... simply docking it without opening any apps. It still idle-overheats as if outputting to a monitor and taking input from a mouse and keyboard is just to much to ask of it... but as mentioned, it may take a couple days. Not sure whether it's my hardware support (ending Mid 2015) or technical support (ending on the 9th of this month) that dictates whether I'll be able to swap it out for another unit... but I'll wait it out 'til the 8th and see if a couple days of time improves things before I seek replacement.

UPDATE 12/5: So far I've been able to do my morning hour of browsing around without it catching fire as it usually does :) very good sign!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05