"HAY Cortana" is not coming to 830 :(

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If AT&T sold an uncastrated 1520, I might get one too. I'd really prefer the 930 because 5" is the optimal size, but you can't get that in the US either. So really we have no proper flagships available in the US. Heck, we don't even have the 830 in the US. I guess the HTC is probably the best Windows Phone now but I want a Pureview camera.

Let's see how quickly Microsoft addresses this situation.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to get an uncastrated 1520. Unfortunately the place I found is sold out of Yellow and everytime they get more in stock, they get sold out instantly. Just search 1520 RM-938 (its the 1520.3)

If AT&T sold an uncastrated 1520, I might get one too. I'd really prefer the 930 because 5" is the optimal size, but you can't get that in the US either. So really we have no proper flagships available in the US. Heck, we don't even have the 830 in the US. I guess the HTC is probably the best Windows Phone now but I want a Pureview camera.

Let's see how quickly Microsoft addresses this situation.

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Not a deal breaker for me. For now i find the "hey cortana" feature merely a just-so-we-have-this-feature-too. You may have missed two words when reading your source AND it was also stated in the source link. The Lumia 830 is being marketed as an AFFORDABLE FLAGSHIP. Being affordable, they need to cut a few flagship features that may only be found in the real flagship devices.

Quoting from the review, which by the way, i find it quite nice and does justice to the phone, here is the final thoughts : "Of course, it's not a flagship device, but neither does it cost that much. Essentially, the 830 is a well-rounded affordable smartphone without much compromise on features and experience."

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 830 is being marketed as an AFFORDABLE FLAGSHIP. Being affordable, they need to cut a few flagship features that may only be found in the real flagship devices.

I would rather they have released a smaller, lower specced (CPU, RAM & internal storage) device with all the features priced a little cheaper than the true flagships, kind of like the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. As it stands the 830 doesn't even seem that much more affordable than the flagship devices for what you get. That's just my opinion, and may not be technical feasible right now (can you get a lower specced CPU with voice activation?) but if they had done it I would have purchased it.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd love msft to produce something with the specs of the z3 compact. It's not cut down at all. Only thing is a 720p screen and it's small. It out classes anything on WP. And is decently priced to boot. The fact the 830 is similarly priced is a joke. It's not in the same league.

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd love msft to produce something with the specs of the z3 compact. It's not cut down at all. Only thing is a 720p screen and it's small. It out classes anything on WP. And is decently priced to boot. The fact the 830 is similarly priced is a joke. It's not in the same league.

I'd be interested in knowing where you think the Z3c is similarly priced to the 830. In Canada the Z3c is going to be $600, the 830 is $400. In the UK it's 429p while the 830 is ~300p. I couldn't find the US price, but I'm sure it's going to be in similar territory.

Also, it's umm... It's an Android phone, this is a website about Windows Phones. I'm sure there are plenty of Android fan sites where you can go and tell everyone about how superior your consumer electronics preferences are. :D

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd be interested in knowing where you think the Z3c is similarly priced to the 830. In Canada the Z3c is going to be $600, the 830 is $400. In the UK it's 429p while the 830 is ~300p. I couldn't find the US price, but I'm sure it's going to be in similar territory.

Also, it's umm... It's an Android phone, this is a website about Windows Phones. I'm sure there are plenty of Android fan sites where you can go and tell everyone about how superior your consumer electronics preferences are. :D

I'm British so won't talk about other markets as that would be redundant.
A quick look on amazon and simply electronics ranging between ?320 - ?400 (all off line prices) and the 830 on amazon and others ranging from ?294 to around ?500 (the z3c just tops below ?500, as does the Lumia 830 - though other sites go higher). On average the prices, from multiple vendors, look to be around ?20 is variance. "similar territory". That took all of about three seconds. Amazon.co.uk. Hope that answers your question.

And regarding the second comment, you have a grin emoji so not sure if you're being sarcastic or passive aggressive or just trolling.

This is mobile nations. I own multiple flagships from ALL ecosystems. I'm writing this on the wp central app, on a Lumia 1520. Someone else brought the z3 compact up first and it is relevant because the prices - as I said - are, as you said, in "similar territory". Hope that helps :D

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Here in sweden the z3 compact is 38% more expensive then the Lumia 830, z3c has IP classification and good performance along with front firing stereo speakers, the 830 has glance, 3 mic audio recording, OIS, removable battery and so on.

If you only look at raw computing power then the z3c is the winner, if you want other things from your phone then just raw performance then z3c might not be the winner, especially seeing the price difference here.

But to get back to Hey Cortana, the feature might sound great but it does have it's flaws, one being power draw and it's not a small power draw, second being false positives which can and have happened in noisy enviroments. I much prefer starting voice assistants/recognition manually.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Here in sweden the z3 compact is 38% more expensive then the Lumia 830, z3c has IP classification and good performance along with front firing stereo speakers, the 830 has glance, 3 mic audio recording, OIS, removable battery and so on.

If you only look at raw computing power then the z3c is the winner, if you want other things from your phone then just raw performance then z3c might not be the winner, especially seeing the price difference here.

But to get back to Hey Cortana, the feature might sound great but it does have it's flaws, one being power draw and it's not a small power draw, second being false positives which can and have happened in noisy enviroments. I much prefer starting voice assistants/recognition manually.

I'm really very surprised by the price difference, in different regions. Normally everything is expensive in the UK but this time we're on to a winner lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb