Help choosing budget Lumia over Android

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... interesting how no one has mentioned the Lumia 630 that's about to be released shortly. Specs are scarce right now but it will be the first Windows Phone powered dual-sim device. Nokia is expected to announce some new WP devices on April 2nd after the unveiling of WP 8.1. I would wait till next week to see what's going to be exactly unveiled. It probably won't be released in the USA but you might be able to find them on eBay or something shortly thereafter.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Cheap, simple and straitforward and beyond reasonable doubt dummyproof with a good batterylife?
Go for the L52x
Every Droidphone within the same pricerange and or hardware wil give you exact 2 minutes of joy.
Those are the two minutes that it takes to throw it in the garbigecan.

You can also look for a cheap used Nokia like a 62x or higher and dont forget Huawei Ascend W1/W2
But so far non of them has a dualsim.
More is better, more ram and more storagespace.
512 is oke, but not for heavy games 1gb is better.
4Gb storage is to low ( like the Huawei Ascend W1 ) , 8Gb is oke

An other possibility is Ios, also dummyproof.............but no budgetrange, and in my opinion not worth the money.

My advice, because its his first steps in the wonderfull and adictive world of smartphones would be;
Let him buy a cheap L52x, let him play with it for a couple of months and when he is hooked, buy him for fathersday or Xmas a 1020/1520 or a Icon.
Believe me, its very good for the father son relation.

nc1886

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
If you want a dual-SIM Nokia phone, why not recommend a Nokia Asha from the 500 series? Or from Nokia X series?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

He was hoping for more app options that aren't available on the Nokia Asha series. Nokia X would have been good, but it isn't available in the US

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
He was hoping for more app options that aren't available on the Nokia Asha series. Nokia X would have been good, but it isn't available in the US

There's a will, there's a way.
When HP semi-released the Pre3, many people have tried/succeeded in importing the device from Europe.
Just saying its possible.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Cheap, simple and straightforward and beyond reasonable doubt dummy proof with a good battery life?
Go for the L52x
Every Droid phone within the same price range and or hardware will give you exact 2 minutes of joy.

Believe me, its very good for the father son relation.

Lol
I like the "dummy proof" anachronism.
@SSgt Bruskowiz I wish so bad you could ride the reins on a few of the 520\521 reviewers on Amazon.
Some of those one star people would make a great stage comedy act.
Maybe you could shame them back on to the right track :winktongue:

Cheers my friend!

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm older with reduced eyesight and I took to the 521 like a hungry dawg to a full food bowl at dinner time.

I play Microsoft Mahjong for hours on the 521.
The only RAM problem I've seen is in music service apps such as Rhapsody.
When I stream the phone will glitch if I try to task anything else.
Also the phone can be a real pain to use in full sun.

512MB of RAM can be limiting depending on device use.
Initially I didn't think it a problem, yet now I see it more and more.

Hard to beat the lower priced Lumia line in a real sense tho.
Best of luck there.

Man you called it about these type of topics popping up recently.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Being a longtime android user, let me explain the differences between budget WP and budget Android:
Budget Androids have a big issue, I mean a really big issue if it's skimping on internal storage. Generally they come with 2 or 4GB, but you can expand with a micro-sd or so they say. Some apps won't move to an SD card and some systems won't let you move apps to the SD card. I purchased a PCD Chaser by Virgin Mobile, it had 512MB RAM, and 2GB ROM; well with all the apps and updates I had to do after a month of having the phone (with nothing else installed) I was left with about 10%, and my phone would warn me of not having enough disk space and I may not receive text messages. I didn't receive some of them, it hindered my ability to receive texts. When installing other apps, even if some of them would move, it still wasn't enough because the basic apps that came on the phone were locked on the phone. I had to root the phone just to get space. Also with Budget Androids, you won't always get an OS update, like KitKat or that, even though it takes less memory.

Windows Phone Budget ones work pretty well. I think I'm more pleased with my Lumia 521 than I was with my droid razr m. Granted waiting for OS updates is a pain, and not every app I'm accustomed to is on WP8 (but I can make one if I really need it). Some of the WPs can feel cheap - the Lumia 521 feels very plastic like and more like a toy than a phone, but it is durable (thank you Nokia! =D). Umm.... sorry trying to think of cons for WP8 - no official G+ app... limited games/apps in the store... umm... yeah... I vote for a Windows phone.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
No official g+, well you can use the browser :p seriously, if you weigh the pros and cons, the lack of a g+ isn't a big issue (i dont use it btw :p), but i have often seen some third party apps. Besides, you can always manage with the apps on wp, just that you'd miss indie games.
Oh and i have a 520, and it does seem like plastic because it is made of plastic. I like its feel, and many people appreciate it too ! Besides, it feels solid, unlike many other phones.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
No official g+, well you can use the browser :p seriously, if you weigh the pros and cons, the lack of a g+ isn't a big issue (i dont use it btw :p), but i have often seen some third party apps. Besides, you can always manage with the apps on wp, just that you'd miss indie games.
Oh and i have a 520, and it does seem like plastic because it is made of plastic. I like its feel, and many people appreciate it too ! Besides, it feels solid, unlike many other phones.

But Google is starting to give its apps' API's to Microsoft, which could lead to a lot of Google services being ported to WP with better functions.

Btw, I had the Nokia Lumia 625 and even with the slightly low screen resolution (199 ppi), I am very impressed with this budget phone in terms of function and app usage. I rarely had a problem with my apps and it can manage up to two days of moderate usage and alternate normal and battery saving mode. And those were still during the Amber days.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria