Help me decide: Galaxy S10 or Nokia 9 PureView?

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
i'm finally going to replace my Lumia 950 because I can't run Microsoft Teams anymore, and I cant search in Spotify. And I just need a new phone. I'm going with either the Galaxy S10 or the Nokia 9 PureView. I like the idea of the "ultimate phone" which is why I like the S10, but I also like the idea of "minimalist" and "less bloat" which is why I like a phone like the Nokia 9 (it's an AndroidOne phone) and I also have a soft spot for Nokia from back in the Windows Phone days. Help me decide. What do I lose if I choose the other?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 9 over S10:

- cleaner looking UI (if you like "stock Android")
- theoretically faster security patch updates (see above)
- more traditional screen and phone design
- theoretically cheaper price

S10 over Nokia 9:

- better display
- headphone jack (likely better audio)
- micro SD
- newer processor
- more RAM
- newer looking design with the more screen real estate via punch hole/slimmer bezels
- faster charging (theoretically for wired and wireless)

Common features:

- Quality cameras (as for which is better, based on your tastes)
- Wireless charging
- Typical battery life (reviews pending, based on your usage)
- (Relatively) pocket friendly

Look at how you use your 950 first as a sign post to decide what to get.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting for some camera reviews, particularly comparison shots with the nokia 9.

If I'm going to buy a nokia 9, i'll be compromising as it's missing a few features I want, i.e. headphone jack, so I do want to make sure that the camera is 'the best' before I buy it.

Now with that said, if you're in a real dilemma, I'd strongly suggest to consider a third option, which is go cheap and get a pocofone. Yep, it's not top end flagship material by any stretch, but honestly, if the top end phones aren't giving you the features you want, then buy one that moves its pricepoint in the other direction and is cheaper.

I just don't see the value in the price of the Galaxy S10. I have no doubt it's a nice phone, but it's just too expensive, at a time when these flagship phones don't really offer all that much more anymore.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think people need to be careful about the camera on the Nokia 9, expectation wise. I think the S10 will still give better mindless point and shoot results overall (OIS, more versatility for types of shots). But, if you aren't mindless, meaning you'll take the extra time to pay attention to the camera and scene, the 9 will do some awesome work.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I've seen some photos on twitter.. The photos from N9 definitely look promising..but its still early days both for the phone and for better camera reviews once the phone lands into actual users. Some have been impressed that it shoots 4K video on the front camera.

I do want to know a) how it handle extreme low light
b) continuous shooting & background processing time.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
It would depend on your Ecosystem, but here are a few things that the above comments doesn't mention about Nokia (Google's because it's Android One) implementation:

1. The Samsung Calendar app syncs with Outlook tasks. This means your Microsoft To-Do tasks will show up on Calendar widgets and the Always on Display, and the Agenda Widget on the lockscreen. No other calendar app in the store or on other manufacturer does all of that, certainly not the Google Calendar app on the Nokia.
2. Google decided things that you can't change. Samsung offers tools to change behavior on the phone. Google's multiwindow features leaves a lot to be desired. Samsung with their Multistar plugin adds a lot of features to this. Popup windows, ability to have both apps running at the same time (Google's implementation pauses one app when the other is selected), and there are several GoodLock plugins that allow you to change things that many people don't like. For example the Task Switcher plugin can change the multitask view from the new "I want to look like an iPhone" carousel view to back to the previous list view, with a selection for grid view as well. Want to add more buttons to the navbar? The Navstar plugin has your back.
3. Android by Google has no secure folder feature. This is a further encrypted section where you can have stuff put in to hide from the rest of your phone, accessible only by a separate password screen. You can even hide it from the app drawer and can be opened by using a dedicated fingerprint.
4. Android One also doesn't let you alter audio routing, ignoring of Audio Focus, altering the number of steps on volume rocker press, letting to audio apps play at the same time, Allow to control app volume independent of each other, etc. Samsung Sound Assistant does this.
5. Don't know what app is giving you an ad that pops up and covers the lockscreen or homescreen? With other phones you'll have to go through a trial and error finding that out. On Samsung, simply open the Nice Catch plugin, and see commercial history, basically a log of apps which served you ads. It also has a vibration history and toast history, so you can review those pesky sudden vibrations or toast messages that disappear so quickly.

These are just features that AFAIK no third party app can accomplish on a non-Samsung phone. And these to me are big deals. There are more as well, but that would make for an even longer post. Sure some may call these bloat, but to me these vastly improve my Android experience in a way no other manufacturer can. Maybe later when Google inevitably copies some of these features for native Android.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
@chanchan05 You mention many good points. I see users here a lot talking about "Samsung bloat" and other bloat. I have used Samsung phones off and on over the years. The most recent was an S8+. Samsung actually adds a lot of helpful features that are missing from stock Android. In fact, Android is designed this way, to let the manufacturers customize it. This talk about "stock Android" is a joke, and shows ignorance. A phone with stock Android wouldn't even be usable as a phone. Nexus and Pixel devices are NOT stock Android!

A few months ago I switched from an S8+ to a OnePlus 6T. While I love the 6T, and overall might even prefer it to the S8+, I do miss some of Samsung's features you mention above, and others.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The main issue with the S10 is the same as with all Samsung phones. You spend so much money and then Samsung decides if the phone gets OS updates or not, not you. For me, that alone makes the Nokia the only choice.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
The main issue with the S10 is the same as with all Samsung phones. You spend so much money and then Samsung decides if the phone gets OS updates or not, not you. For me, that alone makes the Nokia the only choice.
Same goes for Nokia as well really.
Android One only guarantees near stock Google experience with OS updates for minimum of 2 years and security updates for 3.
Samsung guarantees OS updates for 2 years and security updates for 3 for flagship phones (S and Note series). It's actually required by Google mandate otherwise you stand to possibly lose licensing that OEMs give 2 OS updates at least on their flagships.
The only difference is that Android One MIGHT get a 3rd OS update (Pixel 2 and 3 are guaranteed 3 OS updates as well). I stress might because they have no obligation to do so.
The draw of Android One like Nokia is that you get the updates quicker.
Security updates reach you in the 1st week of the month. Samsung gives it to you 3rd week, or depending on carrier you might skip some months. Personaly experience on my carrier locked Samsung for the past 3 years is I get it on the 3rd or 4th week monthly for 10mos, 2mos get skipped before an OS update, then monthly for another 10mos before a 2mo skip prior to the second OS update.
OS updates like Oreo will reach Nokias around a month after Pixels do. Which would he around Sept or Oct. Samsungs get it January the next year.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Same goes for Nokia as well really.
Android One only guarantees near stock Google experience with OS updates for minimum of 2 years and security updates for 3.
Samsung guarantees OS updates for 2 years and security updates for 3 for flagship phones (S and Note series). It's actually required by Google mandate otherwise you stand to possibly lose licensing that OEMs give 2 OS updates at least on their flagships.
The only difference is that Android One MIGHT get a 3rd OS update (Pixel 2 and 3 are guaranteed 3 OS updates as well). I stress might because they have no obligation to do so.
The draw of Android One like Nokia is that you get the updates quicker.
Security updates reach you in the 1st week of the month. Samsung gives it to you 3rd week, or depending on carrier you might skip some months. Personaly experience on my carrier locked Samsung for the past 3 years is I get it on the 3rd or 4th week monthly for 10mos, 2mos get skipped before an OS update, then monthly for another 10mos before a 2mo skip prior to the second OS update.
OS updates like Oreo will reach Nokias around a month after Pixels do. Which would he around Sept or Oct. Samsungs get it January the next year.

It is exactly this and the ability to get updates quicker which is why I won't go for Samsung devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes