Help required -> Can someone sideload my app on a surface RT?

hsalps

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am about to release a new version of my app called PRadio which is a Pandora Radio Client. It works well on a regular PC but i want to test it on a surface RT because i am hearing a lot of complains from users. Can anyone with a Microsoft surface sideload this app? It will be a great help and it will benefit a lot of users. It does not contain any viruses and you will get to preview a lot of cool new features.

Please follow the instructions given below:
1. Download Pandora_0.0.3.3_AnyCPU_Test from https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror or http://uploading.com/files/get/dfc8c1f1/Pandora_0.0.3.3_AnyCPU_Test.zip and unzip to any folder e.g. xyz.
2. Open powershell as an administrator
3. Execute the following commands in powershell
a) set-executionpolicy unrestricted
b) cd xyz\Pandora_0.0.3.3_AnyCPU_Test
c) .\Add-AppDevPackage.ps1
[Note: It might ask you to login to your Microsoft Account that is necessary to get the necessary certificates to sign the package, any microsoft account will do]

screenshot_11162012_171233.png

Pandora.jpg

Last edited:

Jips

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I would help, but I can't download that file, without the ilivid downloader, which I
guess is not compatible with RT
I sail send a link to my skydrive. If you put the zip in there I shall try it for you

dark.davy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Installed and Launched but I dont have Pandora. And can't register (in Canada) so will have to wait for later when I can VPN around to get registered.

Idles around 0-2% CPU
Mem usage (While at the login page) ~14mb

-Davy

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help required -> Can someone sideload my app on a surface RT?

really? really? that's what emulators are for. Do this if you want you account hijacked.

hsalps

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

really? really? that's what emulators are for. Do this if you want you account hijacked.

First and foremost I have already tested it in an emulator everything works fine. I have tested on atleast 4 intel based machines. Surface RT is an ARM based machine and has a new power state called connected standby that interferes with my app. Some API such as HttpWebResponse do not work as intended on ARM tablets. I learnt it the hard way so I want someone with a surface RT to test my new release.

Also if you really afraid of your account being hijacked please create a dummy Microsoft account and Pandora account.

Last edited by a moderator:

reepS

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

sure smells sketchy. An IP trace from the guy who uploaded and the guy who said they are using it sure would be interesting.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I went ahead and did so, primarily because I have never sideloaded an app on Windows RT before, and I thought it would be an interesting experiment/tutorial opportunity. So I did it, and it worked perfectly fine. I did use dummy accounts btw.

How to side load a standalone Pandora app to Surface RT | Microsoft Surface Blog, Windows RT, Windows 8, Surface Pro, Xbox Surface, Microsoft

very nice video. Thank you.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
A couple things:

1) I agree with those questioning the legitimacy of this request. If you want to see if it works on a real Surface tablet perhaps you should consider purchasing one. Nothing about this seems consistent with the Microsoft protocols for app development.
2) Did I miss something recently? Did Pandora rescind its position on third party Pandora apps being in express violation of its Terms of Use?

No offense but even if this is legitimate, it seems more like a proof of concept of how to hack Surface RT than anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital