Help Save Kinect Gesture Navigation on the New Xbox UI

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
tl;dr = vote for this.

I recently 'upgraded' to the new Xbox One UI via the Preview Program and was confused to find out that gesture navigation didn't work. I posted about this here. However, I just assumed it was in the works and that it would come in a later update. Weeks went by and it never did. I reported it in the official Preview Member forums, and I notified Mike Ybarra too, asking when gestures would be put back in (since some people in my family rely on them entirely to navigate the console). Mr. Ybarra never responded. Neither did anyone on the Preview Forums.

And then the press reported the reason why: Microsoft is killing that feature. I'm livid. I don't think companies should be allowed to sell you a product and then take away part of that product later on. There is already a UserVoice thread to reverse the madness. Regardless if you use gestures or not, please vote for this UserVoice. and let @XboxP3 (Phil Spencer) and @XboxQwik (Mike Ybarra) know that it's not okay to change the rules of the game after we've bought the tickets.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Another option is suggested here, which asks Microsoft not to force these types of system updates / UI changes on users, instead, giving gamers a choice (just like users on Windows 8 could stay on Windows 8 instead of updating to Windows 8.1 if they didn't want to).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No way on that second one. To hell with fragmenting the user base across UI experiences. The two run fundamentally different sets of code, with the older UI not allowing for things like universal apps. You're doubling the work of the Xbox OS team for no good reason.

They should probably offer a Kinect buy-back program or something, but I don't see that happening. I'd like to see useful/respectable games, but I couldn't care less about gesture support. I certainly am not going to say hurt the future of the console because a big minority wants special treatment to have their own OS.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's not "doubling the work for Xbox OS team for no good reason". First of all, additional support from the Xbox OS team for the original UI would be minimal--those games and apps already work there, and the games forever from here on out must be compatible with the old UI because not everyone has an online console. It's no different than any other Windows OS update. No one is forced to move from Windows Phone 8 to Windows Phone 8.1 if they don't want to, nor should they be forced to abandon features that they paid for and want just because Microsoft executives are liars. All Microsoft has to do is to let users choose which OS version they want, and then, if users choose to stay on the older UI, leave them be. Don't force them to upgrade or nerf their experience. Allow them to stay connected online and still use their apps that already work now. Or, they could implement gesture navigation into the new UI. They're a multi-billion-dollar corporation. They can handle the resource workload, and they should handle it, because that's what they promised Day One buyers.

Some people care about Kinect gesture support and don't give a crap about universal apps. They should have the option to keep what they paid for instead of having what they paid for taken away and then given something they don't want in return. That's anti-consumeristic bull****, and I can't believe anyone would defend a company doing that. It is not okay to sell someone something, take their money, and then come back and take away that something.

"I certainly am not going to say hurt the future of the console because a big minority wants special treatment to have their own OS."
Asking to not have what you paid for stolen away from you after you paid for it is not "special treatment". That's a basic consumer right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb