Here are my 2 cents

Manikanta Reddy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I had to return to my Lumia 720, running denim, about a week ago, and decided to upgrade it to 10 if I was going to use it. I did and performed a reset and everything was working fine, with some regular jolts here and there. The phone randomly heated up and apps crashed at will. But you know everything was working fine. Couple of days back an update( version 1511 10.0.10586.29 ) appears, someone said it was just a regular update for the same build and I liked updates on my Desktop so I update my device.
It worked fine for a few hours and I was happy with whatever improvements the upgrade brought, but I never imagined the wrath the phone was about to bestow on me. Behold, the phone freezes in the middle of call, apps don't bother to open, the battery drains in exactly 2h 38min(and yes I sat by a watch to see how long it lasts), something else happened which you can never imagine, I was working on 6 split screens( All of them mirrored each other, I would be very happy if someone else is able to reproduce it as I couldn't take a screenshot in this mode, sometimes the start screen loses its tiles and there was no ******* settings app to reset it.
I head on to the forums and someone suggests the volume up + down + power + down key reset, and then I realize the volume down key doesn't respond sometimes in the Lumia 720 ( A legacy problem).
After some head banging sessions and a hint of luck the down key worked and the phone performed a hard reset. And voila after some 20min I restore the backup and the phone is buttery smooth. Everything and I mean Everything is so good, I really can't put how happy I'm in words. The animations are pretty, no crashes, no excessive thermal heat ups, there is no resuming! and oh, somehow the volume button is now responding good.

The Lesson:
PERFORM A HARD RESET AFTER EVERY ******** UPGRADE AND RESTORE FROM BACKUP
or just don't be on the preview program and complain about every tiny problem you have.

Here's the mantra,

Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone after every upgrade

Chant this mantra for 108 times an hour and I promise your life will be happy.

PS: Also reboot the mobile after any update from store
(I know I'm beginning to sound ridiculous but somehow the updated app crashes if it updates, just reboot the phone and everything works good) :winktongue:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Lesson:
PERFORM A HARD RESET AFTER EVERY ******** UPGRADE AND RESTORE FROM BACKUP
or just don't be on the preview program and complain about every tiny problem you have.

Here's the mantra,

Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone
Reset the phone after every upgrade

Chant this mantra for 108 times an hour and I promise your life will be happy.

This has been common knowledge around here for quite some time, but not everybody does it. IMHO MS should make it impossible to use the insider preview without doing a hard reset between updates (without the ability to restore from backup), as that would help clarify that it's not intended for daily use, not to mention that it would half the issues people report in these forums.

On a side note, restoring from backup has the potential to undo what you're trying to achieve with a hard reset (restores apps to the state they had when things weren't running well). It's usually best to not restore from backup, but some people risk it because starting from scratch is quite a lot of work. Just be aware that sometimes you can get unlucky with that approach.

Anyway, good that you're sorted!

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
You are updating to something that's vastly changed from the one you are updating from. And then, factor in that it is a 2 year old model, that it's one with 512MB ram (nevertheless a gorgeous looking one), and you have some nice explanations to any jitters you face (also, that should've been your lesson). Good that it worked out for you finally, though.

Oh, and since the past builds, I have not really had to reset my phone after an update. But again, mine is a much newer model.
Oh, and nice click-bait title. You got me. ;)

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I actually don't agree with the reset after the upgrade. What I suggest is always use the Microsoft Device Recovery tool, go to your version of WP 8.1 then upgrade. That's the best scenario.
While you suggest you reset after upgrade, here's what happens:
Your current firmware with all the junk apps gets reinstalled with W10. You will have a ton of incompatible apps that will try to update themselves from the W10 store.

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I never restore from back-up. I tried it several times and I find it useless. It basically gets the app list and downloads it again and sets up my screen.
I can do that manually.
What I was expecting from restore from back-up is literally a back-up. For example a back-up on steam game, it makes a physical copy and you just copy/extract it in the installation folder, then it just checks for updates.
This is what MS should do when they mention a back-up. Uploading to the cloud the whole app list, the physical state of the apps, then restore it, like a copy paste and sync/check for updates.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I don't see the point to that approach. If you're updating anyway, you might as well install the latest version directly from the store, rather than taking the insanely expensive and slower route of backing up and restoring millions of people's devices and then updating from the store. Seems like an useless detour.

The only problem with backup is that MS doesn't make support for it mandatory. Any app submission to the store that doesn't fully support backup should be rejected.

Anyway, doing a hard reset doesn't reinstall old firmware or outdated junk apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4