Here we go? (Update content)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, but if they hold up one update, they can't stop the next one which will be cumulative. So unlike Andriod, your phone will get the skipped update. However, I don't think we will see it that often.

Seeing as carriers are willing to block such a trivial update as this one I cant say I agree with your optimism. They will probably do the same thing for the Mango update and while it will eventually be made available it will be a long, painful wait till it is.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
then why are some phones updating and some not? why are Samsungs crashing and bricking, HTCs causing backup errors, and LGs apparently going smoothly?

i agree it's not nearly as bad as Android, but it's far form the utopian Apple-like uniformity that yer describing.

What is so great about Apple's "uniformity"? I had an iPhone 3G which was half-bricked by the iOS4 update. Sure, it was usable to a degree, but waiting 30 seconds after launching a native app like Maps before I can even input a character on the screen is flat-out ridiculous. Not to mention 3rd party apps crashed about 25% of the time on launch, or took forever to load. iOS4 was a disaster for iPhone 3G users and the reason why I will never buy another Apple product. I had my phone for less than 2 years before it was basically an exercise in frustration to use at any level. It should have never been rolled out, or they should have made the experience the same as iOS3. Even in the "non-fragmented" world of Apple, you can't even run half the new games unless you have an iPhone4 due to the advanced graphics features it has.

Last edited:

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
What is so great about Apple's "uniformity"? I had an iPhone 3G which was half-bricked by the iOS4 update. Sure, it was usable to a degree, but waiting 30 seconds after launching a native app like Maps before I can even input a character on the screen is flat-out ridiculous. Not to mention 3rd party apps crashed about 25% of the time on launch, or took forever to load. iOS4 was a disaster for iPhone 3G users and the reason why I will never buy another Apple product. I had my phone for less than 2 years before it was basically an exercise in frustration to use at any level. It should have never been rolled out, or they should have made the experience the same as iOS3. Even in the "non-fragmented" world of Apple, you can't even run half the new games unless you have an iPhone4 due to the advanced graphics features it has.

What is your point? Hardware got better, an OS has nothing to do with that. I think you are being overly critical of Apple and I haven't used an Apple product regularly since elementry school. I heard of all those issues and Apple should have just not released the next level for older hardware.

I don't expect my Focus to be able to run Windows phone 8, that would be upgrade time if the hardware and software warrent it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
To me, that's like trying to load windows 7 on a 2005 PC, and complaining that it's slow. The 3G is old hardware. So you saying they should hold up progress because the new programs/apps wont run on old hardware.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
To me, that's like trying to load windows 7 on a 2005 PC, and complaining that it's slow. The 3G is old hardware. So you saying they should hold up progress because the new programs/apps wont run on old hardware.

Really though...Windows 7 would probably run just fine. Vista probably wouldn't.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
When you upgrade your PC it is your choice and the minimum specs are clearly stated. Also, it's funny you mention Win 7 because that runs on my 5 year old work laptop easily...no issues there.

The 3G was barely 2 years old when iOS4 came out, and iPhone 3G users didn't even get any of the new performance taxing features like multi-tasking. I fail to see what was added that would made the performance suffer. Apple pushed the OS out and annoyed you to install it every time you synced your phone. They should not have made it available much less push it on millions of users.

machina

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
What is your point? Hardware got better, an OS has nothing to do with that. I think you are being overly critical of Apple and I haven't used an Apple product regularly since elementry school. I heard of all those issues and Apple should have just not released the next level for older hardware.

I don't expect my Focus to be able to run Windows phone 8, that would be upgrade time if the hardware and software warrent it.

You guys don't get it!? His point (and mine) is that Apple throw the update to all users, even though they know that it makes the 3G phones basically unusable!
-they obviously tried it before it was released!-

and here's the BIG problem, Apple doesn't let you rollback to the old OS, because they obviously want you to buy a new phone. That's cynical!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital