How can I access the Windows 10 troubleshooting if Windows won't boot?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3542, which came with 8.1. I upgraded to 10, and before I even had a chance to make a recovery USB for 10, the laptop froze. It would take 15-30 minutes for any action to happen after any mouse click.

I have my recovery USB for 8.1, but, after I changed the boot sequence (to what I believe is correct), when it power on the pc, I get the white Dell logo for a few seconds, then get a line across the bottom of the screen, saying, "Loading files". Once that is complete, I get a blue Windows logo, and the rolling dots for about 5 seconds. Then, it goes to a blank screen, and remains that way.

I had to use the USB to restore my pc in 8.1 once, several months ago, and it worked fine. I am at a loss as to what to do next. There are pictures, documents, and videos that I truly don't want to lose, so refreshing would be fine, if I can't access the Windows 10 recovery option.

I would truly appreciate any help you can offer, as I'm a disabled senior on a fixed income, and I'd really like to be able to do this on my own, if possible. I'm not a novice on computers, but I'm no expert, by any means.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Respectfully,
DC

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
In Windows 10, after you have 5 failed boots it shows the recovery menu.

So simply power on, let it fail to boot. Power off. Wait 10 seconds. Back on. Do this a few times and then you'll get some help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans