How can I make sure my next Windows Phone is the Right One?

Ray Robertson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
So I recently bought an HTC M8 from eBay and I LOVE IT! I miss the camera button and Glance, but that's pretty much it and I've gotten over it. I was able to get it used for a little over $100, so not a real hit to the wallet. Now unfortunately the M8 will not be getting WM10 support at least as of now according to this pcworld report. No Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for Windows phones with 512MB RAM, HTC One M8 | PCWorld I'm on T-mobile and the Alcatel looks very promising, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone that possibly has no future. We have no idea what or if the Surface phone will be, so how do I or can I even make sure that my next Windows Phone will be something I can hold on to for sometime?

I've owned an 810, 925 and now the HTC M8. I've been good at getting my phones for a reasonable price thus far and I don't mind spending $$$ provided I really like the phone (Loved my 925 and loving the HTC) and it's something that will give me my moneys worth. I know everyone is not in my boat, but spending hundreds on a phone and having to be obsolete within a year is not something I'd want to deal with. It's just not how "I" want to spend my money personally. Also as far as the 950's I think they are ugly phones and getting the Mozo helps, but that by itself is $50 alone and then you still have to buy the phone and lastly once again I'm not a big fan from a looks perspective. The new Alcatel OneTouch looks a lot like the Galaxy to me anyway and it has the specs, but will it be supported in the future? Always and if! :-(

So what are you folks thoughts on what to do to get a phone that I can hold on to for some time?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
So I recently bought an HTC M8 from eBay and I LOVE IT! I miss the camera button and Glance, but that's pretty much it and I've gotten over it. I was able to get it used for a little over $100, so not a real hit to the wallet. Now unfortunately the M8 will not be getting WM10 support at least as of now according to this pcworld report. No Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for Windows phones with 512MB RAM, HTC One M8 | PCWorld I'm on T-mobile and the Alcatel looks very promising, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone that possibly has no future. We have no idea what or if the Surface phone will be, so how do I or can I even make sure that my next Windows Phone will be something I can hold on to for sometime?

I've owned an 810, 925 and now the HTC M8. I've been good at getting my phones for a reasonable price thus far and I don't mind spending $$$ provided I really like the phone (Loved my 925 and loving the HTC) and it's something that will give me my moneys worth. I know everyone is not in my boat, but spending hundreds on a phone and having to be obsolete within a year is not something I'd want to deal with. It's just not how "I" want to spend my money personally. Also as far as the 950's I think they are ugly phones and getting the Mozo helps, but that by itself is $50 alone and then you still have to buy the phone and lastly once again I'm not a big fan from a looks perspective. The new Alcatel OneTouch looks a lot like the Galaxy to me anyway and it has the specs, but will it be supported in the future? Always and if! :-(

So what are you folks thoughts on what to do to get a phone that I can hold on to for some time?

first of all don't buy a OEM device most of those devices are left alone earlier than the lumia product line. buy a midrange or high end device always to be covered for future and also if you are planning to buy a phone and a major software update / build / WMC is nearby hold your horses and wait for it because they usually bring out new devices.
thats the trick. XD
:)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
iPhone is the only sure bet. Nexus too.

I'd only go a high-end Lumia or Galaxy if I had to, but you know, fool me once...

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
iPhone is the only sure bet. Nexus too.

I'd only go a high-end Lumia or Galaxy if I had to, but you know, fool me once...

Kind of why I've gone the opposite route, Blu Win HD LTE & a Vivo 5 on its way...if I don't have a ton of money invested, I have less to get worked up about...

Mike Nelson5

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I have been with windows phone since it was 2 weeks old. The only advise I would give you its to be on top of what Microsoft is doing in the phone business. I know you probably have alot of other things you would rather be doing but seriously you need to really keep up with WP news. I could have told you even though the M8 is a great phone its high risk just because its HTC and there history ain't great with Microsoft. Honestly your best bet it to buy a flagship Lumia or Microsoft phone that will have specs to go the distance they will always have the best feature built in. Case and point no hey Cortana in the M8 and no glance. The 950s are a tough one. I think with the surface phone right around the corner alot of mis informed WP customers are going to regret there decision. With that said you really wont go wrong with a 950 I feel really good about the support they will get from Microsoft there powerful devices and should be supported for a very long time. I have thought long and hard about the surface phone but I think I'm going to jump on the 950xl I am not a fan for metal phones and if the surface phone wears like the surface pro aesthetics wise I'm not going to be a fan I like the plastic phones and my phones all get cases anyways so looks makes no difference to me. So to sum it all up keep up on everything w10m and you wont get burned. I have managed well with all my phones. Samsung focus, Lumia 800, 920 got new phone warranty replaced with a 1020, then I hung on to that phone for along time bought a cheap 1520 about 2 years ago and have had that ever since I always timed it right. I will tell you this the up and coming snapdragon 820 is going to be a much much better chip than the 810. So keep that in the back of your head if you have a 950xl in mind. I have decided to jump on a 950xl and it might be the closest I come to screwing myself with the Surface phone around the corner. I can tell you my wife has a 950 and it just keeps getting better and the camera is phenomenal. I wouldn't put out alot of stock on the Alcatel OneTouch.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Simple, by making the decision on your own. Decide what's best for you and not what the others are saying. Take any advice, but in the end decide for yourself.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
the "safest" bet would be to be the most recent and high end Lumia. but I would not recommend that. As for software updates you can hack your registry to get the latest insider builds if your phone isn't supported

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sit tight with what you have, you can get W10 on it via info in the forums here, and see what comes out over the course of this year. Definitely don't waste money on the current "flagships" which will be ignored once the latest "savior" surface phone is released.

Ray Robertson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Been a while since I posted this thread. You still think the Surface phone is around the corner? Waiting on my Samsung Galaxy S7 now. Not a fan of Google, but not a fan of HIGH priced iPhones with no SD card slot either or phone types. (Only one design) Like my HTC M8 (Only $100 used), but Windows 8.1 seems to be starting to get abandoned and the whole OS being able to run on even low end devices seems to have gown out of the window with WM10. I've given MS time to get things right, but overall I feel like the whole ecosystem has taken a HUGE step back.

I do believe they are trying to get people to LOVE their software again and lure people into the ecosystem and then use this to their advantage to promote WM, but how long will this take and will it work? Who knows.

Microsoft Windows 10 vs. Apple Mac - Business Insider

Are you still rocking out your 950? Have things changed for you since this post?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
well if you want it to last you get the one with the fastest cpu, thats how things are at windows mobile now, forget about "this super efficient & smooth os with low end hardware" if you want that the only route now is brute force, i bet you will see the SD400 phones getting support for longer than "new" SD212 ones and same will happen with SD808 vs SD810 at some point, the ambitions with W10M are an order of magnitude higher than that of wp before it

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Been a while since I posted this thread. You still think the Surface phone is around the corner? Waiting on my Samsung Galaxy S7 now. Not a fan of Google, but not a fan of HIGH priced iPhones with no SD card slot either or phone types. (Only one design) Like my HTC M8 (Only $100 used), but Windows 8.1 seems to be starting to get abandoned and the whole OS being able to run on even low end devices seems to have gown out of the window with WM10. I've given MS time to get things right, but overall I feel like the whole ecosystem has taken a HUGE step back.

I do believe they are trying to get people to LOVE their software again and lure people into the ecosystem and then use this to their advantage to promote WM, but how long will this take and will it work? Who knows.

Are you still rocking out your 950? Have things changed for you since this post?

I talked to HTC today, they are 100% not planning on an official release of Win10, for the M8, no way, no how.
They did say I could flash to Android, at my risk, awesome stuff.
Don't reset an M8, going forward, as it'll revert to 8.1, permanently, and if you never went to Threshold, well, it's not likely now...

I'll be looking for a 650 for our third phone, unfortunately, depending on how you look at it (I liked the M8, I think it's unfortunate that HTC chooses not to deal with it).

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
why dont you regedit it and be done with it, this situation is just virtual drama making users suffer, just check XDA forums i see every x20 lumia user enjoying RS1 better than TH2

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

You can install Redstone on your M8 by hacking your registry. The surface phone is rumored for a April release but I would not count on that

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria