How can I protect my phone from viruses?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

how will i protect my phone from viruses

how will i protect my phone from viruses

misterff1

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: how will i protect my phone from viruses

If you were on an Android phone, I would've made a list of apps that 'protect' you from that sort of stuff. Luckily Windows Phone is a platform where you don't have to worry about virusses at all, so no need for protection here.

Keith Brooks

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

I don't exactly trust Microsoft anymore on the security end. MSE & Windows Defender have both drastically gone down hill in the last few years. I really wish Microsoft would increase it's market share as far as smartphones go. Then maybe the various security software companies will start making products to protect Microsoft's phone o.s. I won't bother calling it Windows Phone, as the Phone portion of the name is being dropped in the upcoming year.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

I don't exactly trust Microsoft anymore on the security end. MSE & Windows Defender have both drastically gone down hill in the last few years. I really wish Microsoft would increase it's market share as far as smartphones go. Then maybe the various security software companies will start making products to protect Microsoft's phone o.s. I won't bother calling it Windows Phone, as the Phone portion of the name is being dropped in the upcoming year.

WWhat needs protecting against exactly? There are no known viruses for WP. Plus most of the time a virus on windows desktop os is due to net or peripheral naivety more than anything.

PirateSunil

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

This post will be helpful Mobile Community - Should I worry about viruses or malware? - Microsoft Mobile Community

Is my Lumia device at risk from viruses?
The Windows Phone operating system of your Lumia can only be changed by over-the-air updates from Mircrosoft which come from secure servers direct to your phone or during a repair process. There is no way that code from any other source can get into the phone's core operating system. Furthermore, any app that you install has it's own secure area of memory where it and its data are stored. This "sandboxed" memory cannot be accessed by any other apps, and apps also cannot make changes to the OS, so your Lumia device is well protected against the threat of viruses.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

WP is already very secure, so there is no need to install any system protection type software. Nevertheless, to protect your phone against any risks, no matter how minute the risk is... use it as a phone. Just make / receive calls. Nothing else.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't blame you in particular, but Windows Phone is a very different beast than its much more permissive predecessor and rival, Windows Mobile and Android respectively.

Windows Phone, by nature, handles things much more securely. Apps are for the most part sandboxed and can't go touching other things.

Windows Phone 8 has yet to be jailbroken or rooted. (except the Samsung ATIVs, where an exploit came from one of Samsung's system apps IIRC, but it has since been fixed)
You have the people who targeted Phone 7, and others, but not much has really happened yet.

Since Windows Phone is much more locked down, it is much more secure. It's goes both ways. With my Galaxy, I can do all these system things and tweaks that my Lumia can only dream about. But on the flip side, there's more to go wrong and potential attack vectors. Such is freedom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte