How can I save to a microsd as a default (On Tablet - Surface 3)?

greyserf

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Save To Microsd As Default (On Tablet - Surface 3) Question

I just ordered a Surface 3, which should be arriving in a few days. My plan is to insert a 128 GB SD Card and have that be the default save location for media, files, etc.

I've read a few instructions on how to do so and then I came across this which states it's an easier and "better" method. Was wondering what some of your thoughts are:

"I am using a faster method to use the SD card for storing the user personal files (libraries).
Open Registry Editor and go to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionProfileList
Replace the value of entry ProfilesDirectory (%SystemDrive%Users) with D:Users (instead of D: use the drive letter for your SD card).
Now create a new user and login to the tablet with the new credentials. The new user profile, including all its libraries will be created under D:Users on the SD card. This method has the advantage it stores on the SD card all the user profile files, including Internet Browser caches, Microsoft profile related files, etc?
Make sure you format your SD card as NTFS, so you can store files larger than 4 GB on it."

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I do not see the big advantage, the additional files, which are saved on the SD card, are not that big, if the sd card fails you also loss them, changing a registry is not that difficult but you need to know what you are doing. (what if you want to change it back after a few month's do you still know how to do it?) And you do not need to format it to NTFS to store files larger then 4GB exFAT also can store files larger then 4GB.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
This used to be an acceptable and recommended thing. Put your O/S on one drive/partition, and tweak the O/S to put your data on another drive/partition. That way, when the O/S became bloated or corrupted you could quickly blow it up, reinstall and do the registry tweak to point back to your data and voil?!! You were back in business.

One nice thing is that if you need to move to another machine, you just undo the registry change, and take your SD card or physical drive out and put it in the new system. Bada Bing, Bada Boom, your done.

But we used spinning disks back then. SD cards aren't as fool proof as spinners, yet. Also, as the Windows operating systems progressed, more and more programs didn't rely on the registry settings or system variables and hard coded the location (dumb, and poor programming practice), so this method has fallen out of favor.

It's just easier to keep the files in their respected locations in the operating system, or even better put them on OneDrive now. Personally, I'm slowly cleaning up my files and moving them to OneDrive. Remote, backed up, and available. Only really, REALLY personal files will stay locally (and backed up on another physical drive).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro