How can I turn off notifications at night?

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, my Arrive is updated to Mango. I use my phone as an alarm clock and I also work in the medical field so have to be able to be contacted at any hour of the day or night. My problem is, how can I turn off notifications of things like Emails and other applications during certain times of the day/night. I was awakened 2 time last night 2 notifications of new emails.

I can't turn my ringer off since I was on call last night. Other than uninstalling my email, is there an options somewhere that I haven't found that allows me to turn off the email notification or at least make it a vibrate only item?

L

lumic

If you go to settings->system->ringtones+sounds, there is a "New email" field where you can disable the sound. This is on Mango, mind you - I don't have much experience with pre-Mango (bought the phone in August and updated to RTM).

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
If you go into settings>cellular you should be able to turn off data. Doing so will stop any emails from coming through. Furthermore, since apps require data to update they won't. You can still receive calls and texts but everything else should come to a halt. When your ready just flip the data back on and everything will push down to your device at once.

You could also go into settings>sounds and ringtones and select none for all the options you wish to hear (like email.)

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If you go to settings->system->ringtones+sounds, there is a "New email" field where you can disable the sound. This is on Mango, mind you - I don't have much experience with pre-Mango (bought the phone in August and updated to RTM).

You can do this pre-mango too.

Also, you can set email to only sync manually. That's what I do. It saves battery life AND it wont sync until you press the sync button. The way I see it, it takes seconds to sync my 5 emails so there is no reason to auto-sync because I am not going to read the emails until I get time to read them.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, thanks, got it. But, there's not an option to set this to only do it during certain hours? It would be nice to say; set it to not alert between 10pm and 7am or something like that.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Too would like to see an option for this. The other night my phone started freaking out at 2am in the morning because some friends out West were holding a conversation on my FB wall. 18 notifications later they stopped.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Odd, I was just asking a similar question about this today as well. I'd like to find an app or possibly recommend an option fro MS to implement that would allow you to set a time or time span that the only thing that would function would be the Ringer for phone calls and the alarm. Perhaps make it where you can set that option and then choose what items you want to alarm. Maybe you don't want the phone to ring while you're asleep but need to know your Email or Text Message or Facebook friends post. you could set any of those as an option to alarm but nothing else would between the time frames you set.

For me, I work in the medical field and am on call many times at night. I cannot turn off my ringer but don't want to go through to turn off all the other notifications on the phone. I also use it as my alarm clock since I keep it on the bedside table anyway. I would like to be able to set a time frame at night that the only thing that would work would be the phone and alarm clock. Everything else would be silent. Call it Do Not Disturb, Bedside mode, whatever.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I just enable Battery Saver mode. It stops all the emails, facebook, apps notifications. SMS still make sounds but hey if you are getting a text messages at 3:00 AM it's probably something important.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I use network dashboard and placed a live tile on my start screen for wifi and a tile for cellular data. This makes it easy to turn both off for the night and I'll still get calls and the occasional text.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Turning off cellular data still just stops email. I need it to stop ALL messages and only allow phone calls. However, other people may want it differently, which is why the BlackBerry Bedside Mode works. You can set up a sound profile that works for you. Then you can link settings like dimming the screen, and having it kick in when it is on AC power AND between certain hours, thus making sure that it doesn't start when you are out later than usual. I don't know if the APIs are available to write an app for it but if so, I'd love it. Better still, bake it into the OS, so it works more fluidly.

HalM

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Windows Mobile had "profiles" that allowed this. Android has a couple of apps (Night Ringer, for example) that do this. The lack of this is a deal killer for me with WP7.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
This may not help the OP and others, but I set my volume to 00 overnight to not hear email or text alerts. The stock Alarm app tones still work as usual at increasingly-loud volumes, and the phone will vibrate for calls. (NB- this may require a settings change; I have ringer and vibrate set to On under ringtones and sounds.) Yesterday was my birthday, and my phone started vibrating (too) early -even if I appreciated all calls, of course. ;) I heard the vibration from across a large room where the Focus is charged nightly, but you'll all want to test whether the vibration is enough for you. I recall having a 23:00 to 7:00 silencer app on android, but I haven't missed it with the above functionalities, and I don't recall if that app also allowed the alarm and vibrating to work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
susan789wolfe