How Common is OIS Noise Issue?

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I am planning on getting a 1020 but I am having doubts after reading a lot of people talking about the OIS making a screeching nosie. For those who have had the phone for a while, have you had this issue?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am planning on getting a 1020 but I am having doubts after reading a lot of people talking about the OIS making a screeching nosie. For those who have had the phone for a while, have you had this issue?

10 months, still works well. Some sources indicate that extensive use of the LED light (e.g. as a flashlight) causes mechanical failures in the OIS, possibly due to overheating in the wrong places* within the camera enclosure. I haven't used my L1020 as a flashlight (I carry a separate flashlight for that purpose), and my OIS is performing smoothly and silently just as it did in day 1.

I'll advise you not to use your L1020 LED light as a flashlight as well.

*- As for overheating in the wrong places, heat from the camera itself is different from the heat from the LED... since they're physically located at different locations. I've taken a 45-minute long high-res video with the L1020 without issues. That's because the camera (not the LED) might have it's own cooling fan (the smallest cooling fans in existence) - that explains the faint whirring sound whenever the camera is active. This whirring sound is not the OIS. Now this whirring sound is different from the loud and irritating screech some users report.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I have had 2 of them so far and Both have a certain kind of bouncy feel/ sound which I am pretty certain is the OIS. The video recording is not that Impressive if you have zooming in and out.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 has it (after over 14 months of usage) and I did use my 1020 as a flashlight so I'm going to blame that as the culprit. Fortunately mine is still under warranty (24 month warranty for all phones where I am) so I just sent mine off to get repaired. Hopefully it comes back fixed :sweaty:

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I do have this noise, I'm looking to get it fixed soon, just waiting until I get near to a Care Point so they can have a look and give me an estimate cost, and if that fails because it is too advanced for them to do, I'll send it off to the main repair centre. Until this occured, the camera was perfect (it still is, bar the noise) since May 2014 when I got it, and still serves me very well.

The important thing to remember is that generally, faults like these are quite rare - but understandably those who have got these issues will be much more vocal about it online than the many who haven't experienced it, hence why you might be seeing these reports. I wouldn't be concerned about it, and if you are unfortunate enough to be one of those who do get this issue along the line, Microsoft offer a 24month Manufacturer's Warranty for any faults that occur that essentially are not down to misuse of the phone. (Physical/liquid damage, or tampering with the phone, will void it.)

Hope I've helped!

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Just an update - I got my phone back and they replaced the entire camera module for me, so it's been fixed! We'll have to see if it comes back though...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786