How do I enable/disable mobile data to 2G/3G/LTE in my Nokia Lumia 830 unlocked AT&T device?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How to enable/disable mobile data to 2G/3G/LTE in my Nokia Lumia 830 unlocked AT&T device

I am using unlocked AT&T Nokia Lumia 830 in india with regional data carrier BSNL sim card. I got this mobile as gift from my family frnd.
But there is no option to select the mobile data type to 2G or 3G or LTE. Why ????

My friend bought Nokia Lumia 730 in India & he can select the mobile data type to 2G or 3G or LTE whichever he wants.

But this option is not at all showing, please advice the alternative way to select only one mobile data type to 2G or 3G or LTE in Nokia Lumia 830.

Can i get the Windows 10 update to my unlocked mobile right using my regional carrier ?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to enable/disable mobile data to 2G/3G/LTE in my Nokia Lumia 830 unlocked AT&T device

Option to "Force" a data level (example 3G only to overcome the tendency of the phone to keep grabbing stronger 2G when weaker 3G hold is available); this is something in the Field Test Menu. Many models and variants are now having this locked out of the firmware. I do not have an ATT 830 in hand to see if Field menu is available. If it is ##7820# on the dialer will open it... Otherwise you get an error. If you do get into Field Test follow one of the many guides on this forum. Do a site search for "force 3G" and follow directions. If Field Test is locked out on your ATT 830 then it becomes very difficult to change and may be impossible.

Can i get the Windows 10 update to my unlocked mobile right using my regional carrier ?

Updates are going to require WiFi due to download size. Your phone will update on the ATT 830 schedule no matter that it is in India being used on BSNL.

Windows 10 Insider is available, but not recommended on a daily driver. Official Windows 10 Phone will not be out for months.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I enable/disable mobile data to 2G/3G/LTE in my Nokia Lumia 830 unlocked AT&T device?

To force 2 G only, go to settings, then cellular + SIM, then change Highest connection speed.

Settings > cellular + SIM > Highest connection speed.

I feel strongly that the OP does not benefit from this advice.

Highest connection speed is different from "Force 3G." In India, and many places actually, it is a common problem with users that their carrier's 2G signal might come in at 4 or 5 bars whilst the 3G signal from the same carrier is much weaker... Say 1 to 2 bars... maybe even 3. In this situation highest connection speed is more of a "suggestion" and the phone spends a lot of time wobbling between the two data classes and often gets "stuck" on 2G as a better "lock."

That's why users are looking to "Force 3G" to make the phone ignore the more powerful 2G signal and hold on 3G. IMHO, that is what the user is asking for and why he needs access to Field Test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeroyNoodle