How do I locate .mp3 files received in Windows 8 Mobile?

venom0706

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I just transferred some .mp3 songs on my Lumia 630 (running on Win 8).

However, when I tried to open them immediately after receiving them, the phone says "the file can't be opened".

I went to search for them in both the Phone and SD Card folders (so I can delete them), but they are nowhere to be found. I installed the Files app - still nothing. I checked in the Music app - nothing.

I lastly plugged the phone to my laptop to manually find them - they don't appear anywhere!

I am really desperate - can you possibly help?

Thanks and much appreciated!

venom0706

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
First of all, did the music files open file on your PC? What apps did you try to open them with on your phone?

They open on my pc - they are normal .mp3 files.

I tried to open them initially on the phone, from the top of the screen when they are received immediately (the bluetooth line that says "tap to open file"). And it says they can't be opened.

Searching them manually on the phone doesn't find them in any folder. I tried Files, Storage Sense, Music, Video and Office. I also rebooted the phone - nothing helps in finding where these received files are.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They open on my pc - they are normal .mp3 files.

I tried to open them initially on the phone, from the top of the screen when they are received immediately (the bluetooth line that says "tap to open file"). And it says they can't be opened.

Searching them manually on the phone doesn't find them in any folder. I tried Files, Storage Sense, Music, Video and Office. I also rebooted the phone - nothing helps in finding where these received files are.

What version of WP 8 are you on and to ask a blunt question, why are you on 8? It has massive limitations.

venom0706

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
What version of WP 8 are you on and to ask a blunt question, why are you on 8? It has massive limitations.

Because I bought the Lumia 630 back in 2015, to use it as my secondary phone. I didn't know of Win 8's limitations. The phone is also on Win 8, because it can't update past 8.1 - it's simply an old model and that's the last version it can update to.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Because I bought the Lumia 630 back in 2015, to use it as my secondary phone. I didn't know of Win 8's limitations. The phone is also on Win 8, because it can't update past 8.1 - it's simply an old model and that's the last version it can update to.

It's been while since I had anything to do with WP so had to look up some stuff.

According to what I've seen Lumia 630 came installed with 8.1, which is significantly better than 8.

So I am a bit confused on what version you are running here. Can you check your settings and let us know so we can help correctly. Settings -> System -> About

Software version should be displayed.

Also you should be updated to the latest version of WP8.1 as well.

So once you clarify that we can work from there.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's been while since I had anything to do with WP so had to look up some stuff.

According to what I've seen Lumia 630 came installed with 8.1, which is significantly better than 8.

So I am a bit confused on what version you are running here. Can you check your settings and let us know so we can help correctly. Settings -> System -> About

Good advice, and hopefully the OP will reply back.

Also, these MP3 files, were they legitimately purchased or not?

venom0706

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

Hi again.

Just checked and the phone is on Win 8.1.

Any idea how to locate these files?

Thank you.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi again.

Just checked and the phone is on Win 8.1.

Any idea how to locate these files?

Thank you.

OK lets go through a couple of things here.

Can I ask why you used Bluetooth to transfer files and not the USB cable?

Typically when you receive files over Bluetooth they are found in the app, in WP8.1 this means XBOX Music (or Groove or Music and Videos) If they are not in the default music location that means they've been moved to Other.

You should have Storage Sense app on your phone.

Tap Storage Sense -> Tap Phone and check your storage Other is typically at the bottom of the list

If you have Music etc set to SD card follow the same as above for that.

Other will show approximately the size of your music files if they are there. Also be sure to check the Music folder.

If they are stuck in Other there's no way to get them out. You'll need to clear them and try again. Preferably with a USB cable and putting them in the Music Folder. If they are good MP3s you should have no issues.

To clear Other.

Tap Storage Sense -> Phone -> Temporary Files -> Delete

Same for SD card.

If for some reason Other doesn't clear then you have the issue of resetting your phone. If that's the case then I would make sure you update to the latest version for your phone.

Also be sure to format you SD card in the phone prior to use.

This is a very old issue with the phone and unfortunately one that lingered for some time there were updates that fixed this but I'm not sure what version you're on.

Windows Phones were always a bit of a pain with mp3 files. Especially when you received them over Bluetooth.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
OK lets go through a couple of things here.

Can I ask why you used Bluetooth to transfer files and not the USB cable?

Typically when you receive files over Bluetooth they are found in the app, in WP8.1 this means XBOX Music (or Groove or Music and Videos) If they are not in the default music location that means they've been moved to Other.

You should have Storage Sense app on your phone.

Tap Storage Sense -> Tap Phone and check your storage Other is typically at the bottom of the list

If you have Music etc set to SD card follow the same as above for that.

Other will show approximately the size of your music files if they are there. Also be sure to check the Music folder.

If they are stuck in Other there's no way to get them out. You'll need to clear them and try again. Preferably with a USB cable and putting them in the Music Folder. If they are good MP3s you should have no issues.

To clear Other.

Tap Storage Sense -> Phone -> Temporary Files -> Delete

Same for SD card.

If for some reason Other doesn't clear then you have the issue of resetting your phone. If that's the case then I would make sure you update to the latest version for your phone.

Also be sure to format you SD card in the phone prior to use.

This is a very old issue with the phone and unfortunately one that lingered for some time there were updates that fixed this but I'm not sure what version you're on.

Windows Phones were always a bit of a pain with mp3 files. Especially when you received them over Bluetooth.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Here's hoping the OP responds back. I also don't understand why you would use Bluetooth for this. I always took out my SD card from my W10M phone and copied music to it that way, before uploading it all to OneDrive and streaming it through Groove, back in the day.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to write that. Here's hoping the OP responds back. I also don't understand why you would use Bluetooth for this. I always took out my SD card from my W10M phone and copied music to it that way, before uploading it all to OneDrive and streaming it through Groove, back in the day.

Not everyone can stream music due to low download limits in some parts of the world.

I remember the dreaded Other folder back in the day. Was a horrible thing. It seemed like a bottomless pit where things went to die.

People had to reset their phones and sometimes it didn't fix the issue.

Was a right pain. People forget just how bad the early days on WP8 and 8.1 was.

venom0706

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi again.

The only reason I used Bluetooth over cable in this scenario, is because I literally was lazy to get up and get the cable in that very specific moment.

Anyway, I couldn't delete anything in Other as the phone didn't allow me to. To make sure everything is ok, I both factory reset the phone and formatted the SD card. All my phone numbers are now gone, as for some reason I could not find an option to store them on the sim card. (luckily, I have them all backed on my Android phone).

The verdict - I will never get a Windows phone again (no wonder the OS died). Limited to no good apps on the Store (no Facebook/Messenger apps), wooden OS with limited control options on the storage (a factory reset is the only option when transferred over Bluetooth files simply get "lost" ?!), CONSTANT app hick-ups (I don't remember a time where my browser didn't crash on browsing, although that might be due to the low RAM on the Lumia 630 - 512 MB).

Thanks to everyone here, however, for trying to solve my issue with the .mp3 files. Appreciated.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well technically the OS is dead so all the apps etc are pretty much finished. So getting a WP in 2019 is rather pointless. They are still updating WP10 though.

You're also using 8.1 which is no longer being updated and a Lumia 630 which is 5 years old. Phones were quite different then.

It appears you had an older version of WP8.1 as well. The low RAM and processor is the reason why it wasn't able to update to WP10. Though I think you could join the preview.

Your contacts should have been saved in your MS account and they automatically transfer to the phone once logged in.

Yes WP had issues with Other and was quite painful for a lot of people. They did update WP8.1 to fix this and those who had issues had to reset the phone for it to work.

Saying that, WP was a good OS when all the issues left eventually. It was just too late by then.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi again.

The only reason I used Bluetooth over cable in this scenario, is because I literally was lazy to get up and get the cable in that very specific moment.

Anyway, I couldn't delete anything in Other as the phone didn't allow me to. To make sure everything is ok, I both factory reset the phone and formatted the SD card. All my phone numbers are now gone, as for some reason I could not find an option to store them on the sim card. (luckily, I have them all backed on my Android phone).

The verdict - I will never get a Windows phone again (no wonder the OS died). Limited to no good apps on the Store (no Facebook/Messenger apps), wooden OS with limited control options on the storage (a factory reset is the only option when transferred over Bluetooth files simply get "lost" ?!), CONSTANT app hick-ups (I don't remember a time where my browser didn't crash on browsing, although that might be due to the low RAM on the Lumia 630 - 512 MB).

Thanks to everyone here, however, for trying to solve my issue with the .mp3 files. Appreciated.

Sadly the OS is dead, you are right. But once, back in the day, it was actually pretty good. I preferred it to Android and iOS in any case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786