How do I save files to files manager? (windows phone 8.10)

popsikalas

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have been struggling with this for months or even years! Please advise.

Regarding saving files from email to files manager.

It is only possible to save picture files such as JPG and NOT possible to save doc, pdf, mp3 etc.

When you go to the email you have the option to "download" + "save" the file. Both options are available to click when the file is JPG. When the file is doc, pdf, mp3 - only "download" is available and "save" is not clickable option.

How come? I have consulted with few people online and it seems that only me have this problem.
Lumia 520 (not sure if relevant since it is all about OS).
Os version 8.10.xxxxxxx (not sure if relevant because the same issue was from the beginning, +- 2 years ago when I bought this phone).

Help! :)

Thank You.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is an area that is massively improved in Windows 10 but that isn't the best experience on a 520. Under 8.1 I'm not sure if there are great ways to improve the experience as the mail client is limited in this respect.

If you were trying to save from a web page and Internet Explorer was giving trouble, then using Opera might workaround the issue and offer more save options.

For the times you do want to save an attachment from email, you may find going to your email provider's webmail page and saving from there would work.

popsikalas

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
But other people with the same OS I consulted with did not have this problem. Why was I unique?

Also: what would be the reason for "save" option being clickable on one type of files (jpg) and not clickable on other? I mean if there was a flaw with email client or something, would not all files not work? :)

Can someone with OS 8.10 confirm this?
Try sending one jpg and one doc/pdf/xls/mp3 file to your email and see if it gives "save" option on both or just on jpg?
I would greatly appreciate your 1-2 minuts of doing so. I have been struggling with this x-files (as I call it since it seems to be only my issue) for more than a year... :(

I would gladly accept this error, IF it was the same for everybody and not only for me....

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Usually I just click download, then open. It will open the appropriate program for that file type then I saved it. If there is no program capable of opening that file, then you are screwed.

popsikalas

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Usually I just click download, then open. It will open the appropriate program for that file type then I saved it. If there is no program capable of opening that file, then you are screwed.

That is what I do as well, but that is just a workaround. What about JPG files? Do you get to "save" them as well? As opposed to pdf/doc/mp3?

Just want to see if I am not alone in this strange case (of "save" working for jpg and not working for most of other files).

Thanks

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I got a choice to open/save in OneDrive or phone/SDCard. Not a straight save, rename file choice. As long as I can open and save I am not complaing how convoluted or bizzare the steps are. MS are trying to keep things secure by boxing every program to its own sandbox. Sometimes security means inconvenience. Unless they break backward compatibility totally, it's going to be patches of insanity. Currently MS don't have market position as they were on the time of Windows 3.1 or Vista.

popsikalas

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I got a choice to open/save in OneDrive or phone/SDCard. Not a straight save, rename file choice. As long as I can open and save I am not complaing how convoluted or bizzare the steps are. MS are trying to keep things secure by boxing every program to its own sandbox. Sometimes security means inconvenience. Unless they break backward compatibility totally, it's going to be patches of insanity. Currently MS don't have market position as they were on the time of Windows 3.1 or Vista.

Are you opening your email through the default windows phone 8.10 email app?

See this is what I am talking about: it seems that EVERYBODY ELSE can save files and it is somehow only me who only gets the option to save JPG files and not doc, pdf, mp3 etc....

How come it is only me? :)

popsikalas

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi, can anyone spare 1 minute and do this test for me?

If you use 8.1 and default email app:
send yourself 1 JPG file and one Doc/xls/fdf/mp3 to your email and try save + download each of them.

Tell me if you could save both or only JPG (as me).
( When you download both and press on them holding you should get a dropdown with "save" option but it should be clickable only on JPG file.)

Thanks

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
When I receive an email with more than 1 attachment, there is a link of download all below. I just click that. It download all of three of the files I tried (jpg, doc and pdf files). After that there below the jpg file there is a link to save pictures.
On doc and pdf files, long press show options of saving and download as not available. But for both of them I can open the files as i tap them. Doc files can be opened with Word, tap on ellipsis (...) shows option of save as. Pdf files opened in Acrobat, but cannot be saved or at least not showing options to save. Perhaps another pdf reader app.

popsikalas

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
When I receive an email with more than 1 attachment, there is a link of download all below. I just click that. It download all of three of the files I tried (jpg, doc and pdf files). After that there below the jpg file there is a link to save pictures.
On doc and pdf files, long press show options of saving and download as not available. But for both of them I can open the files as i tap them. Doc files can be opened with Word, tap on ellipsis (...) shows option of save as. Pdf files opened in Acrobat, but cannot be saved or at least not showing options to save. Perhaps another pdf reader app.

Thanks for testing!

That is exactly how it works for me. You can open those files, but they are not saved within Files manager.
So you can open PDF file with acrobat app, but if you uninstall that app, the file will be gone (since it is not actually saved in files manager as JPG files are).

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
What about signing into adobe? I mean creating an account and connecting PC + phone. So if you save sth and remove the app, then it should still be available on the server.

Or at least I'm guessing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99