how is this for an idea?

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
since RT supports (2 app side by side) multitasking.. and since windows phone has more apps than there are for RT.. and microsofts plans for unification... WOULDNT IT BE A GOOD IDEA TO LET WINDOWS PHONE 8 APPS run on surface RT on a split screen view (like portrait view in phone) as a temporary measure until the grand unification day..
1) so many apps will suddenly be available for RT users and that will lure new users to buy RT tabs
2) since portrait view is not supported in side by side mode.. and MS said RT and WP will have 77% API common in WP 8.1....It should be easy.
3) WP is secure too like RT so its not going to cause virus problems..
would you want WP apps on your Surface or NOKIA tab... with on-screen back,home and search buttons of course?

Last edited:

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The idea is good, but I don't think that the screen size is a problem for running apps on RT. It is more of compiling the windows phone code on RT.
RT has the same problem as windows phone did some time back. Since not many people were buying windows phone, developers were not ready to invest time on the windows phone platform. Similarly till the developers see an increase in the sale of RT, they might not develop for it.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
or an emulator will do for me. :winktongue:
what i mean is.. i have a lumia 920.. now i have trouble signing inrto the various accounts on all the apps i use after reset.. if i have a windows RT device that can run windows phone apps then i ll have one permanently running.. and i can do work on one and continue on the other device.

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
This is something that I contemplated time and again. But I finally came to the conclusion that Microsoft will not invest in the time to do that. Because there will be broken API's which is one of the major problems in unifying the OS's. Fixing that will enable them in unifying the OS's.

An emulator is a good idea, but the performance will surely get hit. They will have to disable phone specific first party apps (inbuilt apps). Then they will have to filter out apps specifically designed for phones (apps whose function not useful elsewhere) and apps already on both platforms from the store. They most likely will feel this is not worth the time that will consume.

So I don't think it will happen... :(

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
ms doesnt have to do all that.. just make an emulator.. let people decide what to install.. for example.. vine, instagram,or whatever apps are currently not available on RT and that which will really benefit from the large screen available (on a 10.6" full HD display cut into 2).
@HAGJOHN we dont know if they ll make apps compatible before unification.. so until then an emulator might do.. i wonder.. can third party app makers make this emulator?

Saurabh3321

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope thrid party emulators aren't possible. At the moment Microsoft doesn't allow sideloading XAP files on WP. They even have encrypted their marketplace. So you can't expect a third party Metro app to function as an emulator. And access WP store and install it.
only microsoft can do it, if they want it to.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
its way better than letting OEMs pre install android in your windows PC.
what does the WP store not have? most of the major apps are there already. and more are coming. and if you let WP OS run on windows devices it would make devs more confident about the OS since all windows 8 PC users will use WP. so no of people using WP OS will increase tremendously. so more new apps will be made to take advantage of this new massive user base. growth on both platforms.. why make android bigger than it already is? it has what 65% of the mobile market share? now its encroaching on the windows territory.
what do you think? should MS push WP to windows users or should it let Android be installed on PCs.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
why disable the phone specific apps entirely? let the OS choose what it can do with the device. if the device doesn't have a camera it wont open anything. my windows desktop doesn't have a camera the camera app is still in the list. and why wouldn't OEMs make LTE/3G windows tabs if this is available.. think about it.. a full PC that's always with u.. now with network access wherever u go.. I think its a win-win situation. both WP and Windows will benefit from it. WP will add another 10% market share in no time. Windows 8 has given us so many form factors.. this will only increase windows 8's market share.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Isn't MS already working on modifying API's so wp and RT will share apps?

The latest I heard, which was a few months ago, there will eventually (2015 sticks in my head) be one OS for both the phone and Surface. The rumor is, the phone OS will win out and the future surface will be loaded with the new OS. I doubt MS will spent the time on a emulator unless they are worried about pissing off current surface owners.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
while 2015 is an auspicious year to unify WP and RT into one OS.. android is already eating away on the MS dominated PC world first with chrome and now with android. Microsoft is SLOWWWWW... Samsung has already copied the windows OS style in its upcoming big android tabs.. it wont be long before "metro" becomes stale.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4