How much do you miss native google services on WP?

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Google Drive---Never used.
Google Music---Messed up my Album art
YouTube---Metrotube works great
Google Maps---Here Drive works great.
Gmail---Outlook is so much better.
I did miss Google Keep at first, but One Note has helped ease the pain, there. If it would only make phone numbers and email addresses "live" it would be perfect.

Yes on all counts. I used to defend gmail when people told me it wasn't secure. Not sure if that is still an issue, but the whole scanning my emails thing is starting to creep me out. How does a company make so much giving everything for free?

And the best thing about goog is something they didn't create, but rather bought: Youtube. It was the definitive video upload site way before they were bought. If only if only.....

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
If I used any of them besides the occasional YouTube, I would certainly miss them, I guess? Just wish my family would get on board so I can use the damn Rooms for things like calendar!

Yeah, that is a bummer. But if I'm not mistaken, Rooms will work for a calendar. The other features are not supported, however.

My workaround with my girlfriend was this: I signed her up for a Microsoft account, told her it's there but she doesn't have to use it, made a few shared calendars on my end, sent her the links, and voila --- synced calendars with her iPhone 4.

Last edited:

matty032

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hello, how are you?
It seems that Google and Microsoft haven't been seeing eye to eye.
I was wondering how much do you WP8 users miss Native google services, like google maps, gmail, google drive, music, YouTube and such.
Are the google services a big plus of the android system?

Cheers!

Don't miss any Google crap.

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that is a bummer. But if I'm not mistaken, Rooms will work for a calendar. The other features are not supported, however.

My workaround with my girlfriend was this: I signed her up for a Microsoft account, told her it's there but she doesn't have to use it, made a few shared calendars on my end, sent her the links, and voila --- synced calendars with her iPhone 4.

I guess the problem we have, is that our family calendars are in google already, so we'd have to migrate over, and then they wouldn't be as nice when my family was using gmail. I haven't looked into syncing those types of things yet, but maybe that's a possibility.

It would just be cool to have an app for each OS that has all the functions in one stop.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I truly hate all their stuff except maps. Its simply god awful product.

Here's hoping Nokia becomes the king of maps and 3-d virtual location experience with rich, drill down layers and experiences.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
That's unacceptable. What you're describing is basically a one trick pony. Sharing a document, or any file for that matter, is not the same as attaching a file from your email client. No different than iOS where you can't attach files other than pictures. Outlook on Windows Mobile had the paper clip icon that launched a file manager of sorts, and you could attach as many files as you wanted from anywhere on your device, storage card or even a shared network drive. THAT'S what I need in a phone and it's shameful that a 6-7 year old OS can do it and not a brand new one.

I understand what you say. I wish things were so those days. But it's not possible anymore. It's not a pony trick it's how the system was designed to behave. You have hubs for important type of informations. You have hub for video and images. From these hub you can attach from anywhere since practice shows this is what people use 90% time. So since 90% of time you attach images or videos this hub is the main hub for attachements.

For music or other type of information you must do the sharing(and thus the email attachement from the specific hub). So you want to email an mp3 you go to music hub and email it. Everything that is not media (photo + videos, music) is considered to be a document if you have an app that integrates with that office hub. And from that hub you can email anything that is a valid document(you have an app that understands the file extension and it is integrated with office hub). Until they devise a way for having windows 8 like file providers this is the way it works.

It's not perfect but for security reason is better than what happened in windows mobile ecosystem(where you could attach everything). If windows phone flops I will sure use iphone and not android. I find it ridiculous that I need an antivirus for my smartphone in those days where the security is defined by silos app with some extensibility points.

The only regret for this point I have is that there is not a clearly tutorial / document bla bla to describe how to attach all types of files and why the system is made to work this way. If MS or nokia or htc would explain with a small video how you can email music or any type as long as it is registered as a document all this would become second nature for the users

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria