How to delete mis-typed entry in email autofill (yahoo)?

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
How to delete mis-typed entry in email autofill (yahoo)

When I send a picture via email, autofill suggestions have some addresses that I mis-typed in the past.
Is there a way of deleting these mis-typed entries?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to delete mis-typed entry in email autofill (yahoo)

It would be helpful to know if you are trying to use a phone, laptop, tablet, etc. and how you are trying to send by email. Are you using a particular web client? Are you using a particular email app?

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I am on a Windows phone Lumia 521. Windows 8.1
Trying to send email from Yahoo. Auto-fill offers mis-typed addresses. I want to delete these errant entries.
Same happens when I try to send a photo and select Yahoo! mail.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
When you say "send email from Yahoo", are you talking about the Yahoo website, or have you configured a Yahoo email address to be used by the built-in Outlook?

If it's the website, then probably clearing the cache on the browser should do the trick. I've never had an issue with the Outlook app remembering mis-typed addresses, as it tends to pull valid emails from my contacts for suggestion.

To clear the cache on IE on your phone, open up the browser, go to Settings, and Delete History.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Nope that didn't help.
If I look under settings/ email+accounts I see "Yahoo! Mail".
If I delete that account and then reinstall, will that clear the erroneous entries?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea if that would work, to be honest. It sounds like rather an extreme method, though.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Nope that didn't help.
If I look under settings/ email+accounts I see "Yahoo! Mail".
If I delete that account and then reinstall, will that clear the erroneous entries?

Well it may have seemed extreme BUT even after deleting the Yahoo Maill account/app, that didn't rid my phone of the auto-fill of the erroneous email address entries. The autofill doesn't contain the erroneous entries if I access via Yahoo.com. I just can't figure out where these entries are stored or how to delete them! Any suggestions appreciated. I had read that a factory reset might be the only way of wiping those entries. Now THAT is extreme!

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site

Go to settings, keyboard, more advanced setting, there should be an option for reset words suggest.

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site

Okay, are these entries listed on the People application? If yes, then you need to check your contact details. If you use a stand-alone yahoo mail program, then you would need to check your yahoo contact details in yahoo mail. I think it will be easier if you use a computer browser to do the checking than a phone, but its up to you.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

Okay, are these entries listed on the People application? If yes, then you need to check your contact details. If you use a stand-alone yahoo mail program, then you would need to check your yahoo contact details in yahoo mail. I think it will be easier if you use a computer browser to do the checking than a phone, but its up to you.

Nokia Lumia 521 phone:
These entries are not listed in People. The entry is just an email address and not associated with a name.
This is the Yahoo! Mail "app" as created in settings/email+accounts.
If I go to Yahoo.com on the web and try to create an email, the erroneous address does not show up in auto-fill.
On a computer, at yahoo.com, the erroneous address isn't in contacts nor does it show up in auto-fill.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

This has come up before but no solution was found, it's a bug I guess, there's no way to do it.

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site

So let me get this straight:
1. Autocomplete email address filled the wrong address when you used the built-in email application.
2. If you used a browser, whether it's from a computer or a phone, autocomplete didn't fill the wrong address.
The way I see this is that somewhere there is a checkbox that says "remember / add email address I typed to Contact" that is ticked.
So in the built-in email application of the phone what accounts do you have listed? Which accounts do you synchronized to contacts? Have you tried to login to Outlook.com on a computer browser and go to it's people tab and see if somewhere there are your wrong email addresses saved?

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I hope my terminology is correct. I am using the term of "autofill" in that when I start typing email address, it makes suggestions and one of them is erroneous.
I haven't synchronized any accounts.
Logging in to Outlook.com, the email address doesn't show up anywhere. It isn't associated with a name.
There is no check box.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

Understand your agony. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. There's no delete function. Probably you might want to save it as a contact and from there delete it.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

Understand your agony. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. There's no delete function. Probably you might want to save it as a contact and from there delete it.

Tried that and... IT DIDN'T WORK!
Nuclear option: Just did a factory reset. Not as bad as it seems utilizing backups. Just to be certain, uninstalled Yahoo! Mail (probably overkill) before reset. All is good now. No history in phone. There must be a better way if any developer is listening...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria