How to delete "Other Files" from storage sense??

chetan sarvaiya

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm using Lumia730 and when I go to"storage sense" at the end it shows Other and in this they say "These are file types ....... managing them there. I really don't get it how to delete this file from my sd card...please help.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Don't just delete them, you could screw things up. First connect your device to a PC, then open your SD and open the Other folder and see what's there. Then decide if you're gonna delete something or not.

r2SN

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I am also a Lumia 730 user and the "other file" you are talking about in your memory card are the file formats which the phone cannot recognise or does not support it natively. You might wanna check if you have added any movies which don't play with the default movie player such as .mkv or .flv. You can easily play those files in vlc player for windows phone but not on the default video player. The support for .mkv playback natively is not added 8.1 but in 8.1 gddr2 update which 730 still does not have (except 640/640xl or 930/1520/830) or any other file types you might have transferred or downloaded in your memory card.😫

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

r2SN

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Don't just delete them, you could screw things up. First connect your device to a PC, then open your SD and open the Other folder and see what's there. Then decide if you're gonna delete something or not.

Hey man there is no folder as such which goes by the name of others

r2SN

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
It's not showing in computer but in mobile when you check setting > storage sense >sd card> other..

Strictly speaking other files are the file formats which don't work on your phone but you might have added otherwise it might be some glitch idk. When I want watch some movie or episodes on phone(730) and they are in mkv format all those video files are listed as other files because the default player cant play it but third party apps like vlc can play.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok your true but I never download any mkv files for video.

It is true that 'other' folder is contained of files which have not native support, that is OS can not recognize them and therefor just puts them into one single folder. It is also known that there's bug with 'other' folder which insanely increases it's size, why? Well, coudl be this: Over the time your app data (such as saved game data, weather data blabla) and your search history and cookies. Those do not have that great size, so this is not really a valid explanation.

There was a guy on the forum who had approx. 8gb of 'other' taking storage on his 1020 i think.

Considering the fact that the content of the 'other' is deleted when you do a hard reset, i think you should go ahead and delete it yourself. My logics tells me that all system files should be under the, well, 'system' category. So, go ahead, i don't think it's too much of a risk, if any at all.

r2SN

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey can you check the backup files of WhatsApp in backup folder in memory card? It might be the backups. Idk :-S

r2SN

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
It is true that 'other' folder is contained of files which have not native support, that is OS can not recognize them and therefor just puts them into one single folder. It is also known that there's bug with 'other' folder which insanely increases it's size, why? Well, coudl be this: Over the time your app data (such as saved game data, weather data blabla) and your search history and cookies. Those do not have that great size, so this is not really a valid explanation.

There was a guy on the forum who had approx. 8gb of 'other' taking storage on his 1020 i think.

Considering the fact that the content of the 'other' is deleted when you do a hard reset, i think you should go ahead and delete it yourself. My logics tells me that all system files should be under the, well, 'system' category. So, go ahead, i don't think it's too much of a risk, if any at all.

If my memory serves me right that was fixed with some update

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If my memory serves me right that was fixed with some update

It was, at least MS said it was, but some people, including me still have that issue. That is i had it back on 8.1 Update 2, now on the preview the issue is gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abbatyya