How to Import Windows 7 Policies into ADMX Central Store?

Karen121

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
would like to import Windows 7 Policy Definitions into the ADMX Central Store.
Now there are already existing policies and also the PolicyDefinitions folder in the Sysvol directory has been filled earlier (VISTA,Quizlet, Office, ...).
If I compare the admx files on a Windows 7 client under C: \ Windwos \ PolicyDefinitions with those in the sysvol, there are quite a few with the same name, but sometimes with different sizes. eg WindowsExplorer.admx 17KB, the other 36KB - obviously other content.

If I just override the "old" admx, I'm worried that some of the existing GPOs will not work anymore. I imagine that the Win7 admx files override the VISTA admx files. Am I correct or can I do that without hesitation? It would have to give the opportunity to VISTA and Windows 7 GPOs in a mixed environment to define (WMI filter clear, but that with the admx files I'm just not so hilarious).

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
would like to import Windows 7 Policy Definitions into the ADMX Central Store.
Now there are already existing policies and also the PolicyDefinitions folder in the Sysvol directory has been filled earlier (VISTA,Quizlet, Office, ...).
If I compare the admx files on a Windows 7 client under C: \ Windwos \ PolicyDefinitions with those in the sysvol, there are quite a few with the same name, but sometimes with different sizes. eg WindowsExplorer.admx 17KB, the other 36KB - obviously other content.

If I just override the "old" admx, I'm worried that some of the existing GPOs will not work anymore. I imagine that the Win7 admx files override the VISTA admx files. Am I correct or can I do that without hesitation? It would have to give the opportunity to VISTA and Windows 7 GPOs in a mixed environment to define (WMI filter clear, but that with the admx files I'm just not so hilarious).

Thanks in advance,
Karen

I don't suppose you have access to a isolated virtual or test environment for policy changes or over writes?

Which would resolve your issue in terms of compatibility before rolling out the aforesaid changes through the org, department etc you wish to make the changes.

Because alot has changed from the days of vista lol and I'm not sure many of those old KB articles are even maintained anymore.

To be honest, I without indepth programmatic testing it would be extremely difficult to cover all scenarios where compatability issues may arise (not to mention the time required in programmatically testing for compatibility issues). The only thing you can do if you are under time constraints to create special support ticket or flagging process for any issues cropping up in the future from the changes you wish to make.

However, even then given the wide nature how updates affect different PCs it would tricky to isolate the root cause of issues (unless you have very tight control and able to refer to isolated control environment or virtual control environments for comparisons).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99