How to project the screen on Windows 10 mobile using USB?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 mobile on Lumia 720 and it's working nicely without any lags.
However, I am not able to project it's screen to laptop's display. It was possible on WP 8.1. There was also an app for it.
It is said that the "Connect" feature has replaced this app on Windows 10 and Windows 10 mobile. However, "Connect" feature on Windows 10 mobile only searches for wireless display.
How can I use it to project my screen to my laptop's screen using USB. Any help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Weird. Mine doesn't work.

I have a Lumia 1520 and a Surface Pro 3. I plug my phone into the computer and I never get the prompt on my phone and the ProjectMyScreenApp is totally black.

I've tried everything. Ever since upgrading to W10M, my Project My Screen App has never worked... :(

What phone are you running?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Well I returned to Windows phone 8.1 and now "project my screen" is working. There is a setting named - "project my screen" in 8.1. Unfortunately this setting has been removed from Windows 10 mobile. Some people say that "Connect" feature has replaced "project my screen" on Windows 10. But it doesn't work.......

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Well I returned to Windows phone 8.1 and now "project my screen" is working. There is a setting named - "project my screen" in 8.1. Unfortunately this setting has been removed from Windows 10 mobile. Some people say that "Connect" feature has replaced "project my screen" on Windows 10. But it doesn't work.......

Yeah... I was wondering if you had any luck after Demian's post.

Use Project My Screen from Microsoft. Install it, connect your phone via USB to PC and select YES on dialog box in your Windows 10 Phone screen. Pc keyboard controls are: F1 - help, Esc - quit windowed mode, B - background image on/off, E - expanded screen, F - full screen.
View attachment 115038View attachment 115039
Here's the link to Microsoft Project My Screen app download:
Download Project My Screen App for Windows Phone from Official Microsoft Download Center

Those screen shots confirm that Project My Screen App is working on Windows 10 Mobile... but it doesn't confirm how he got it to work. I have tried all sorts of things including his installation instructions - no dice.

I'd love to use the Project My Screen App with Windows 10 Mobile... :/

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I posted steps which I did...and worked perfectly every time I connect to Pc via usb. I did a hard reset after installation of 10572 Windows 10 Mobile TP. Plugged in phone and opened Project my screen app in Pc. Phone automatically displayed notification "Allow screen projection" and that's it. It works to me just like that, on Lumia630 and 535 on 10572 build. I haven't found any settings in phone for screen projection, only "Show a dot on the connected display" in Phone display settings, but that's unimportant in this case. I'm guessing maybe some phones can't use this app right now, maybe it'll be fixed in future build.Alternatively you can run Project my screen as administrator, or update usb drivers, reinstall Windows Device Recovery Tool - it installs some usb phone drivers too. As a last resort try hard reset.
Note: Project my screen won't display notification if display is locked, it has to be unlocked!?When I locked my phone, opened Project my screen and no notification was on phone, but notification came when I unlocked it.
Screenshot (3).jpg

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I posted steps which I did...and worked perfectly every time I connect to Pc via usb. I did a hard reset after installation of 10572 Windows 10 Mobile TP. Plugged in phone and opened Project my screen app in Pc. Phone automatically displayed notification "Allow screen projection" and that's it. It works to me just like that, on Lumia630 and 535 on 10572 build. I haven't found any settings in phone for screen projection, only "Show a dot on the connected display" in Phone display settings, but that's unimportant in this case. I'm guessing maybe some phones can't use this app right now, maybe it'll be fixed in future build.Alternatively you can run Project my screen as administrator, or update usb drivers, reinstall Windows Device Recovery Tool - it installs some usb phone drivers too. As a last resort try hard reset.
Note: Project my screen won't display notification if display is locked, it has to be unlocked!?When I locked my phone, opened Project my screen and no notification was on phone, but notification came when I unlocked it.

Okay, I just got this working. Thanks so much for the summary. It totally put me in the right place. Here's what I did to finally get it to work:

• I Unplugged the phone and removed the phone from the Devices list (Classic Control Panel --> Devices and Printers
  • I opened up Device Manager: Right-Click on Start Button --> Devices Manager
  • I then DELETED all the Lumia Device Drivers under Universal Serial Bus devices
    (I had a couple listed here: Lumia 520, 1020 & 1520)
  • Restarted the SP3
  • Opened up the Project My Screen App on my computer
  • Plugged in the Phone

Bam. The Project My Screen prompt successfully showed up on the Lumia 1520.

Thanks again for throwing me in the right place. Hope these steps help others.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I just got this working. Thanks so much for the summary. It totally put me in the right place. Here's what I did to finally get it to work:

• I Unplugged the phone and removed the phone from the Devices list (Classic Control Panel --> Devices and Printers
  • I then DELETED all the Lumia Device Drivers under Universal Serial Bus devices
  • Restarted the SP3
  • Plugged in the Phone

What about for lumia 1020? I haven't been able to get it working yet

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

• Restarted the SP3
  • Plugged in the Phone

Tried your method but no luck

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying with Lumia 830 but I don't have a success. Tried everything... :(

what issues have you run into? Can you install the project my screen app on pc?
Is your phone on windows 8.1 or 10?
When you connect the phone to start project my screen , what shoes in the pms app?

Ndevs X

May 2, 2016
Visit site
tried your method but doesn't work. Lumia 640LTE on Windows 10 Mobile. Before I had WDRT installed but I removed it before installing Project My Screen App

anon(9538491)

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Glad I've found this thread, having same issue on a Lumia 630, when running PMS, I don't get any notification on the phone. Currently doing a hard reset (haven't made since updated to 318) let's see how it goes.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Glad I've found this thread, having same issue on a Lumia 630, when running PMS, I don't get any notification on the phone. Currently doing a hard reset (haven't made since updated to 318) let's see how it goes.

the issue is with the pc from my experience, when wdrt has malfunctioned on the pc, it messes up project my screen. the only way I could make it work was to reset my pc :unhappysweat:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel