how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk

marietto2008

May 18, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I'm trying to understand the reason why sometime qemu / kvm / tianocore and also virt-manager can't boot Windows 10 physically,sometimes it can. And maybe I found the reason. Infact I found that when Windows 10 installs the EFI partition as first partition of the disk,qemu / kvm / tianocore / virt-manager can boot it. But sometimes it happens that windows makes another kind of disk structure,for example it can make something like this :

1) 128 mb : microsoft reserved partition

2) 500 mb recovery partition

3) 99 mb EFI partition

in this case,windows 10 will not boot. So,in this case I don't know what to do. Maybe it can work it I delete the 128 and the 500 mb partitions and I expand the EFI partition until the beginning of the disk space. But I'm not sure. I read that I shouldn't erase the 128 mb partition or the system will not boot. So,what should I do ? One thing I'm sure : The EFI partition should be the first partition if I want to boot Windows 10 with tianocore. But I'm not sure about how to do that. Please understand,I don't want to reinstall Windows.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I'm trying to understand the reason why sometime qemu / kvm / tianocore and also virt-manager can't boot Windows 10 physically,sometimes it can. And maybe I found the reason. Infact I found that when Windows 10 installs the EFI partition as first partition of the disk,qemu / kvm / tianocore / virt-manager can boot it. But sometimes it happens that windows makes another kind of disk structure,for example it can make something like this :

1) 128 mb : microsoft reserved partition

2) 500 mb recovery partition

3) 99 mb EFI partition

in this case,windows 10 will not boot. So,in this case I don't know what to do. Maybe it can work it I delete the 128 and the 500 mb partitions and I expand the EFI partition until the beginning of the disk space. But I'm not sure. I read that I shouldn't erase the 128 mb partition or the system will not boot. So,what should I do ? One thing I'm sure : The EFI partition should be the first partition if I want to boot Windows 10 with tianocore. But I'm not sure about how to do that. Please understand,I don't want to reinstall Windows.

You will need to use an application that allows you to manage partition, such as Minitool's partition wizard or easeus partition application just to name two examples. The free versions will do what you need, to move the partitions - what you need to do is make sure there is blank space after the EFI partition. However, you will need to create a bootable usb and boot into the usb as unlock the old version the new versions don't allow you move partitions that are online easily due to potential for data corruption.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss