How to re-run the hardware compatibility check?

SheddyIan

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

Previously, I'd registered to receive Windows 10 on my Windows 7 PC, the "Get Windows 10" app had claimed my PC was compatible.

When I ran Windows Update yesterday, I found that an attempt to update had already taken place, but failed. Looking at the "Get Windows 10" app, I see it now says "Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10" "Compatibility Issue Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS".

Fair enough, I understand there was a late issue with drivers for Nvidia cards.

So I swapped out the Nvidia for an ATI card, uninstalled the drivers for the Nvidia and re-ran Windows Update.

It fails to update to Windows 10. The "Get Windows 10" app is still reporting a compatibility issue with the Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS" that I removed.

The detail in the report telling me that I'm incompatible says that it was last run on 29th July at 09:23. This was many hours before I swapped out the Nvidia card.

Is there a way to make it recheck my hardware for compatibility? It appears to be refusing to upgrade because it hasn't rechecked my hardware for compatibility, thus still assumes I have an incompatible video card.

Ian

AravindArsenal

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
m.windowscentral.com/cant-reserve-your-free-copy-windows-10-fix

I did the script method...and it worked :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

SheddyIan

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, though i think I tried something similar to that - I followed the instructions to paste a script into notepad and run it (as administrator) and it chugged away for a while then finished. That didn't fix it (even after a reboot).

But I'm now trying that dropbox script.

Edit : Dropbox giving me an error 500 after a very long delay, so will try again later.

Ian

Last edited:

SheddyIan

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, I never did get the dropbox link to work, but I copied and pasted the text from that article into notepad, and ran it as instructed. It chugged away for a while, then finished.

But the problem is still there - The "Get Windows 10" app still tells me the graphics card that I removed is not compatible at present, and the hardware check report was run on 29th July.

I can't get it to update that check/report.

I read elsewhere that advancing the system date by a few months and running the script (or just one command frmo that script) would resolve the issue, but it didn't for me. I still have an incompatible graphics card from 29th July that is no longer installed.

Anyone else have this problem, or know of a workable way to get it to rescan my system and update this report?

Ian

SheddyIan

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I hope I've now solved it, so I'll post what I did, in case it is of use to others...

I deleted the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

then, at an elevated CMD prompt, typed
wuauclt /updatenow

which re-downloaded the Windows 10 install (!!) but then evidently re-ran the hardware appraisal, as it's no longer telling me I've got a graphics card that I removed earlier, and it's letting me run the update.

Ian

Neil Howard1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I hope I've now solved it, so I'll post what I did, in case it is of use to others...

I deleted the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

then, at an elevated CMD prompt, typed
wuauclt /updatenow

which re-downloaded the Windows 10 install (!!) but then evidently re-ran the hardware appraisal, as it's no longer telling me I've got a graphics card that I removed earlier, and it's letting me run the update.

Ian

Does this procedure install the Windows 10 update, or does it simply download it for a future install?

Doodybutch

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
In order to completely re-run the Win 10 compatibility check from Win 7 or 8...
You want to do this if you have changed hardware for example...
Annoyingly, Windows does not allow you to just re-run it yourself...

1) Navigate to the folder \Windows\AppCompat using file explorer
2) Place a shortcut to this folder on your desktop.
3) Restart Windows and repeatedly tap the F8 key - when the startup screen comes on choose "Safe Mode"
4) Once Windows starts, navigate back to the folder from the shortcut you placed earlier
5) Rename "Appcompat" folder "xAppcompat" or whatever you like or just delete it
6) Restart Windows in normal mode
7) Click on the Windows icon on your taskbar or go to the Windows Update on the web
8) Rerun compatibility checker
9) You can now delete "xAppcompat" and the shortcut
10) you will notice that there is now a new "AppCompat" folder

DB

Jeff Gatrell

May 27, 2016
Visit site
This got rid of the error message about the video card but still said that the system is not compatible with windows 10. When I try to view the report it states that one is not available. It looks like it did not run the check and fails to this default message.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon