How to restart Windows 10 on a schedule?

Kristofer3127

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
Hello Windows Central! I hope everyone is doing well.

I have a remote Windows 10 computer for an engineering project. Since it's remote, I thought it would be a good idea to restart it once a day at midnight, just in case something goes wrong and I won't be there to press the power button. I accomplished this by using the Task Scheduler to run the "shutdown.exe" program with the arguments "-r -f -t 10". However, I have lost remote access to my Windows 10 computer. It's offline. I suspect that it forced shutdown during a Windows update. So, my question is this: Is there a proper way to schedule regular reboots for a Windows 10 computer? In the Windows update settings, I saw an option to reboot the computer after an update outside of active hours. This could work if the updates are regularly periodic. Any ideas?

Please advise. Thank you.

Kristofer3127

Jan 5, 2023
Visit site
My new strategy that seems to be working is to reboot during so-called "active hours." Windows Updates (at least in Windows 10) happen outside of "active hours," and these updates sometimes reboot the computer. Therefore, if I program a reboot during active hours, then there is at least one reboot, regardless of a Windows update.

I set my active hours to 3AM to 9PM. You can find this setting in Windows Settings > Update & Security > Change active hours. Then I program a daily scheduled reboot in the Task Scheduler at 4AM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb