How to sideload BBM on Windows 10 Mobile

xx7774

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Can anyone provide guidance on how to sideload BBM on to Windows 10 Mobile.

I have downloaded the BBM .xap file from http://www.appx4fun.com/apps/6049/

Then attempted to install it via the App Manager. When I try to deploy the file I get the error message "Failure reason: Missing .appx file name query parameter".

Any help would be appreciated.

For anyone questioning my sanity on installing BBM, I am migrating my wife to W10M, but only on the condition she has BBM to communicate with family overseas!

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
if you are trying to install windows phone 8.1 app it wont work as windows 10 phone uses appx as installer extension rather than xap as it were on windows phone 8.1 .
Blackberry has not launched a windows 10 mobile app so i cant imagine of another way possible to sideload such an app

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
if you are trying to install windows phone 8.1 app it wont work as windows 10 phone uses appx as installer extension rather than xap as it were on windows phone 8.1 .
Blackberry has not launched a windows 10 mobile app so i cant imagine of another way possible to sideload such an app

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I think there is a Windows 8.1 tools thing or something like that that has a program to install applications (for WP8.1) as a developer, from your PC to your phone..
Yes. It is called "Windows Phone Application Deployment", though I can't remember exactly where I downloaded it from, but google a bit and you should find it. And maybe you'll have to register your phone as a development device, but no biggie.

And yes, I have used it from windows 10 to install a .xap

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If your phone is originally a WP8.1 device your only option is to go the WDRT route and get it back on 8.1. Download the BBM app and then upgrade to W10M. I've done this on a few devices and it works perfectly.

Also, the version you downloaded is not the most current. The one available at apps4fun is 2.1.0.12 and the current is 2.1.0.16

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
By any chance did you figure this out, daimv? I'm now in the same situation. I've tried downloading a few different SDKs and both Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 to try to find this Windows Phone Application Deployment tool with no luck so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip