How to turn off Automatic Updates in WM10?

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check if there's a way to turn off automatic updates on windows 10 mobile. All I see are two option for the updates: automatic or notify to restart. Other than these two, is there an option to just turn off updates or only do it manually?

Thanks!

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check if there's a way to turn off automatic updates on windows 10 mobile. All I see are two option for the updates: automatic or notify to restart. Other than these two, is there an option to just turn off updates or only do it manually?

Thanks!

Disable Updates in System -> Background apps.

But there's no guarantee it works. Disabling Updates isn't implemented

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I already disabled that but my phone (950XL) still decided to update itself to .420 yesterday. Had been holding it off because I didn't want to mess with my battery life which was great after I hard reset the phone...and now it's just losing power like before

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I already disabled that but my phone (950XL) still decided to update itself to .420 yesterday. Had been holding it off because I didn't want to mess with my battery life which was great after I hard reset the phone...and now it's just losing power like before

Let it update and sync all apps. And check again background apps, after an update they turn back on

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
No way to stop updates on Windows 10 (both Mobile and PC). You can only delay them, but they will still be installed. Anyways, there's no reason to stop getting updates other than if it breaks your device, becuse they bring security updates, performance increases, new features, bug fixes and all the good stuff.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about updates on my laptop, that is always up to date...but on the phone, it's a completely different theme...broken features seem to outweigh performance increases, security updates, new features, bug fixes and all the good stuff, so I would rather not update than update to a broken build...When the update for .420 came out, I held off to see what issues others were having with it, and sure enough there were plenty of them...so I held back...but if there is a stable build, I won't hesitate to update.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't care about updates on my laptop, that is always up to date...but on the phone, it's a completely different theme...broken features seem to outweigh performance increases, security updates, new features, bug fixes and all the good stuff, so I would rather not update than update to a broken build...When the update for .420 came out, I held off to see what issues others were having with it, and sure enough there were plenty of them...so I held back...but if there is a stable build, I won't hesitate to update.
Broken features and bugs are only present on the preview builds. Stable builds (.420 and .456) are mostly bug free. I have .456 and there are no broken features.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I think it is important that mobile phones have the option of not upgrading. These are important devices for many and if one doesn't want to do it they should not be forced. It is bad enough on PC. This might be the last straw for me.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it is important that mobile phones have the option of not upgrading. These are important devices for many and if one doesn't want to do it they should not be forced. It is bad enough on PC. This might be the last straw for me.

That's the reason there is the Upgrade Advisor app for Windows 10. On PCs you just click the check for updates button and get Windows 10. On mobile you have to get it trough the app because people care about their phones.
However minor updates rarely make problems like that, and that's why they are automatic.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
That's the reason there is the Upgrade Advisor app for Windows 10. On PCs you just click the check for updates button and get Windows 10. On mobile you have to get it trough the app because people care about their phones.
However minor updates rarely make problems like that, and that's why they are automatic.

Upgrade Advisor is for Upgrading from 8.1 to 10, NOT for UPDATING to upper Win10 cumulatives. In 10 desktop too updates are full auto except Enterprise vrs., you can only delay them some days or in idle hours

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Broken features and bugs are only present on the preview builds. Stable builds (.420 and .456) are mostly bug free. I have .456 and there are no broken features.

I'm on .420 and it's not stable, atleast on my device. I looked through the forums and there's a thread where everyone has posted the issues they are having with this build. And that itself makes me think this is not a stable build. I believe you did too. My battery life was way better on the previous build, was getting close to 50 hours on my 950XL...but with this one I barely it through the day. And what baffles me is the battery drains at the same rate even in the battery saver mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99