HP Elite x3 - My experiences so far - Jan 2017

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I was able to pick up an HP Elite x3 (Brand New/Unused/Unlocked) phone yesterday from a seller on Craigslist for CAD $350 [USD $267 /€250].

Given that these phones can go as high as USD $1000+, I think it was an awesome deal. I did not get any docks, nor cables or box but my 950 XL USB-C charger works and can use my 950 XL USB-C cable to transfer data. Still not too shabby a deal IMHO...

I spent the last night fiddling with the device and read almost every post here related to this phone. As such, I thought I should add my experience in case it helps someone here or looking into this phone.

Background: I have been using a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL for a year and would have been very happy with my 950 XL. I had seen this phone at the Microsoft store and it looked quite shiny and expensive. As such, like any nerd, I wanted one...on the cheap. :)

• I know enough about Windows Phone platform and prefer it over iOS and Android
  • I was saddened to find out, in Toronto, I was only one of ten people in the entire city actually using this (950 XL) phone (Source: Microsoft Store, Yorkdale)
  • I was waiting for the rumoured Surface Phone but this was a deal too good to miss!

When I bought this phone yesterday, I put my Koodo (A carrier that works under Telus) SIM. It recognised the SIM but I could not activate mobile data. Turns out that I needed to manually enter the APN settings for Koodo which were defaulting to Telus.

The instructions on how to do that can be found here. You can also find the step by step directions and APN settings for any other provider on the site as well.

Once applied my Mobile Data started working. That too with LTE+. My Lumia 950 XL only showed speeds upto H or H+

- I also installed a 128 GB MicroSD card along with SIM. I luckily haven't had any issues with my SIM tray, although I am a bit dismayed I cannot use two SIMs and a MicroSD card like my Lumia 950XL. But it's not a biggie. :eck:

- I then upgraded to Windows Mobile fast ring hoping that it would stable and perhaps more reliable. Sadly, It wasn't! . Skype failed to install, issues with almost everything, speed and "smoothness" was nowhere near what my 950XL (regular OS release) was. Frustrated, I gave up and using the WRDT I reverted back to the OS 0002.0000.0018.0105. Since the wipe, the device is as smooth to use as my Lumia 950 XL. If anyone is frustrated with issues with your HP Elite x3, I strongly suggest to simply wipe it off with WRDT and start fresh.

- The 0002.0000.0018.0105 reset later upgraded the OS build to 10.0.14393.693. This is my current OS build. Everything works, battery life (in my very limited use so far) seems outstanding, and I have no issues with stability!

Also, people here have asked about HP Workspace, Warranty etc. Well, I was able to register my x3 for warranty on HP's website. If you haven't already done so, I strongly suggest you avail yourself of this.

Another question that was posted here was about HP Workspace and how to get it. I would be using this device as my own personal (ala consumer) use and was able to register for a 60-day trial via HP. It isn't active yet but this was the email I received:

Thank you for your interest in activating HP’s application virtualization service HP Workspace 60 day promo.
HP will verify eligibility (must have purchased HP Elite x3 bundle) within 48 hours. Once confirmed, we will send you activation instructions

Ultimately I am very satisfied with my purchase and now will be selling off my Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM. Any other posts from users thinking about going back to 950 XL seem perhaps a bit overblown. The device loads everything faster than the 950XL, seems to run smoothly and par for par seems superior to my 950 XL.

YMMV :winktongue:

Attached is a screenshot of what my phone screen looks like!

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170118_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20170118_0001.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I was able to pick up, a HP Elite x3 (Brand New/Unused/Unlocked) phone yesterday from a seller on Craigslist for CAD $350 [ or USD $267 or 250 EURO).

Congrats on the new device and the fantastic deal. This is why I check Craigslist almost every day. Never what you'll find.

I'm happy with my Lumia 950 XL, but I would have jumped on this deal as well!

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you! And I agree that Criagslist (and Kijiji.ca in Canada) are absolute worthwhile spots to find a deal...Kijiji also lets you set flags to email you in case something is posted.

BTW, looking more into HP Workplace and what they offer, it seems it is a virtualized copy of a Windows machine (or apps at least). Once I get my trial I can fully explore it. Meanwhile, if you really need Win32 environment, you can use Teamviewer. Its free (non-commecial use) and works wonderfully on a Windows Phone. I connect to my computer at home over the net using Teamviewer its faster, more reliable than Remote desktop (RDP).

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Actually no. They are either fakes or spam. I reached out the person (same one in all ads). Refuses to see you. Claims all are sold. Very fishy. Thankfully, I got mine from an employee of Hootsuite who got a corporate discount.

My 950 XL, also listed on CL; was sold in less than 8 hours. The person who picked it up seemed to love Windows phone albiet was relatively cluess about the rest of the platform or the issues plaguing the platform. I was in the Microsoft store in metrotown today and there are no 950 XL's for sale in the store and, in what the manager called their Jan 1-3 (I believe it meant 13th) rotation, was told to take all 950 XL off display and replace with HP x3 or other products.

Last edited:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I was able to pick up an HP Elite x3 (Brand New/Unused/Unlocked) phone yesterday from a seller on Craigslist for CAD $350 [USD $267 /€250].

Given that these phones can go as high as USD $1000+, I think it was an awesome deal. I did not get any docks, nor cables or box but my 950 XL USB-C charger works and can use my 950 XL USB-C cable to transfer data. Still not too shabby a deal IMHO...

I spent the last night fiddling with the device and read almost every post here related to this phone. As such, I thought I should add my experience in case it helps someone here or looking into this phone.

Background: I have been using a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL for a year and would have been very happy with my 950 XL. I had seen this phone at the Microsoft store and it looked quite shiny and expensive. As such, like any nerd, I wanted one...on the cheap. :)

• I was saddened to find out, in Toronto, I was only one of ten people in the entire city actually using this (950 XL) phone (Source: Microsoft Store, Yorkdale)
  • I was waiting for the rumoured Surface Phone but this was a deal too good to miss!

When I bought this phone yesterday, I put my Koodo (A carrier that works under Telus) SIM. It recognised the SIM but I could not activate mobile data. Turns out that I needed to manually enter the APN settings for Koodo which were defaulting to Telus.

The instructions on how to do that can be found hereYou can also find the step by step directions and APN settings for any other provider on the site.

Once applied my Mobile Data started working.

- I also installed a 128 GB MicroSD card along with SIM. I luckily haven't had any issues with my SIM tray, although I am a bit dismayed I cannot use two SIMs and a MicroSD card like my Lumia 950XL. But it's not a biggie. :eck:

- I then upgraded to Windows Mobile fast ring hoping that it would stable and perhaps more reliable. Sadly, It wasn't! . Skype failed to install, issues with almost everything, speed and "smoothness" was nowhere near what my 950XL (regular OS release) was. Frustrated, I gave up and using the WRDT I reverted back to the OS 0002.0000.0018.0105. Since the wipe, the device is as smooth to use as my Lumia 950 XL. If anyone is frustrated with issues with your HP Elite x3, I strongly suggest to simply wipe it off with WRDT and start fresh.

- The 0002.0000.0018.0105 reset later upgraded the OS build to 10.0.14393.693. This is my current OS build. Everything works, battery life (in my very limited use so far) seems outstanding, and I have no issues with stability!

Also, people here have asked about HP Workspace, Warranty etc. Well, I was able to register my x3 for warranty on HP's website. If you haven't already done so, I strongly suggest you avail yourself of this.

Another question that was posted here was about HP Workspace and how to get it. I would be using this device as my own personal (ala consumer) use and was able to register for a 60-day trial via HP. It isn't active yet but this was the email I received:

Thank you for your interest in activating HP’s application virtualization service HP Workspace 60 day promo.
HP will verify eligibility (must have purchased HP Elite x3 bundle) within 48 hours. Once confirmed, we will send you activation instructions

Ultimately I am very satisfied with my purchase and now will be selling off my Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM. Any other posts from users thinking about going back to 950 XL seem perhaps a bit overblown. The device loads everything faster than the 950XL, seems to run smoothly and par for par seems superior to my 950 XL.

Awesome price. Enjoy

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

SeiShinRyu

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone,

The instructions on how to do that can be found hereYou can also find the step by step directions and APN settings for any other provider on the site.

Hi Netwolf-irc. I am desesperately trying to get a data that can show that the battery of my X3 is faulty. I am speaking about %/hour of battery discharge when the phone is totally switched off. In my case is 1%/hour, that seems to be very high compared with my humble Lumia 650 and my DTEK60, that show around 2% in 5 days. ¿have you measured this parameter or could you do it?.
Thanks

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually no. They are either fakes or spam. I reached out the person (same one in all ads). Refuses to see you. Claims all are sold. Very fishy. Thankfully, I got mine from an employee of Hootsuite who got a corporate discount.

My 950 XL, also listed on CL; was sold in less than 8 hours. The person who picked it up seemed to love Windows phone albiet was relatively cluess about the rest of the platform or the issues plaguing the platform. I was in the Microsoft store in metrotown today and there are no 950 XL's for sale in the store and, in what the manager called their Jan 1-3 (I believe it meant 13th) rotation, were told to take all 950 XL off display and replace with HP x3 or other products.

Oh you're in Vancouver too! Yea I saw a couple weeks ago no more phones on display except for a small cubby for the X3... hopefully they'll display the idol 4s... they should I figure.

Man we should have a windows phone meet up in Vancouver for the two people that have one here :wink:

nishant786

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
1%/hour of standby usage cannot be defined as drain by any sense of modern smartphone batteries. Plus this can vary significantly depending on sync setting etc. I would not worry too much until it is significantly more.

Originally posted by SeiShinRyu
Originally Posted by Netwolf-irc
Hello everyone,

* I know enough about Windows Phone platform and prefer it over iOS and Android
* I was saddened to find out, in Toronto, I was only one of ten people in the entire city actually using this (950 XL) phone (Source: Microsoft Store, Yorkdale)
* I was waiting for the rumoured Surface Phone but this was a deal too good to miss!

Hi Netwolf-irc. I am desesperately trying to get a data that can show that the battery of my X3 is faulty. I am speaking about %/hour of battery discharge when the phone is totally switched off. In my case is 1%/hour, that seems to be very high compared with my humble Lumia 650 and my DTEK60, that show around 2% in 5 days. ¿have you measured this parameter or could you do it?.
Thanks

SeiShinRyu

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
1%/hour of standby usage cannot be defined as drain by any sense of modern smartphone batteries. Plus this can vary significantly depending on sync setting etc. I would not worry too much until it is significantly more.

I insist: the phone is NOT in standby mode, but totally shutdown. In this state, no applications are suppossed to be running, and the only battery drain source is autodischarge or a hardware fail. In this case, a drain of 1%/hour is too high.

Netwolf-irc

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I insist: the phone is NOT in standby mode, but totally shutdown. In this state, no applications are suppossed to be running, and the only battery drain source is autodischarge or a hardware fail. In this case, a drain of 1%/hour is too high.

Hi @SeiShunRyu. I apologize but I have no idea on what this drain of battery life might be. Nor have I measured it (actually I never knew anything about it until I read your post). My elite x3 has not crashed even once and the battery life does seem to out perform any device I have ever had. I hope this helps

SeiShinRyu

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi @SeiShunRyu. I apologize but I have no idea on what this drain of battery life might be. Nor have I measured it (actually I never knew anything about it until I read your post). My elite x3 has not crashed even once and the battery life does seem to out perform any device I have ever had. I hope this helps

Hi again Netwolf-irc. I am asking for a little favour. Could you shutdown totally your phone for a couple of hours (of course, the longer the better) and measure battery drain?. What I am looking for is a reference from another X3 user. Thanks.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Well,I can tell u this. I got the phone yesterday and fully charged, it finished around 1am basically today in the morning. I unplugged it and left it there til I woke up at 7am, the phone so showed 100%. From that moment on,I have been on it with BT and NFC on, using it all the time, tinkering here and there and using the battery sucker Facebook app, and at this moment I have 55%. Coming from a L950XL I'm fine with that!

Hi again Netwolf-irc. I am asking for a little favour. Could you shutdown totally your phone for a couple of hours (of course, the longer the better) and measure battery drain?. What I am looking for is a reference from another X3 user. Thanks.

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
For what it is worth, I have a new x3, received it two days ago. Last night I applied a screen protector, and left it powered off over night. This morning (8 hours later), I turned it back on, and it displayed 100% for battery level.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
In that message I just wanted to let u see that those 6 hours transferring contacts, messages, favorites and whatever the % didn't moved not even a little, or at least that's what the phone says. Instead of measuring the drain with the phone off, measure it on standby. And please, don't go to insider preview.

SeiShinRyu

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
In that message I just wanted to let u see that those 6 hours transferring contacts, messages, favorites and whatever the % didn't moved not even a little, or at least that's what the phone says. Instead of measuring the drain with the phone off, measure it on standby. And please, don't go to insider preview.

I did that several days ago before starting to measure the drain with the phone off: in standby, with all radios off, all apps closed, nothing in second plane, drain is the same as that of phone off: 1%/hour. But 100% of battery after 8 hours such as western_rider's_dad says, never happened to me. The reason to test in phone off mode is to have an universal reference, otherwise drain will depend on many variables.
It seems that my phone has a battery or hardware problem.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, it could have. Have you tried a hard reset? Are you on the latest update? Fast ring, slow ring, production? How's the battery performance while you're using it? Does it last you a day? In the battery section of settings, what do you see in there that has more usage?

Originally posted by SeiShinRyu
Originally Posted by jes1888

I did that several days ago before starting to measure the drain with the phone off: in standby, with all radios off, all apps closed, nothing in second plane, drain is the same as that of phone off: 1%/hour. But 100% of battery after 8 hours such as western_rider's_dad says, never happened to me. The reason to test in phone off mode is to have an universal reference, otherwise drain will depend on many variables.
It seems that my phone has a battery or hardware problem.

SeiShinRyu

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Well, it could have. Have you tried a hard reset? Are you on the latest update? Fast ring, slow ring, production? How's the battery performance while you're using it? Does it last you a day? In the battery section of settings, what do you see in there that has more usage?
I have tried both, soft and hard reset with no success. The question for me are references: the battery of a Lumia 650 under the same conditions (screen turned off, 3G, no apps running in background) lasts much longer (battery drain is much lower) than my X3. And let alone my DTEK60: under these circumstances would last one and a half week, whereas that of my X3 no more than three days.
A new phone is coming after speaking with the good HP service: let´s cross fingers.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wish you luck! Parasitic drain? Must be a short somewhere. Don't think there's any reason for the battery to drain while it's off!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb