HTC 8XT, from Sprint no updates at all. What gives?

DaKine 73

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
HTC 8XT, from sprint no updates at all.

Hello there, this may be an old topic but I haven't given up yet.

I purchased a sprint HTC 8xt about a year ago. It only got minor updates on Windows 8. I enroll it on dev. Preview to push the 8.1, no luck there, only got one minor update that was pushed once the dev preview was activated.

Since then I haven't gotten any updates at all. 8.1 came and went and Windows 10 is almost out and this phone is still on 8.

Sprint says it should update to 8.1, but still nothing. Tried all kinds of tricks, hard reset, removing sim, restart about 20 times, constantly check for updates in and out of dev preview. No luck. The insider program app is not available since you need to be on 8.1 to get it.

Any light on this?
(I do realize that my first mistake was purchasing this phone, highly disappointed)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately you ran into the issue of
1. Having sprint for your carrier
2. Owning an HTC windows phone

I did a quick Bing search and it appears that they kept delaying the windows phone 8.1 update constantly. I cant seem to find an article saying it was actually released so maybe they never did.

I seriously doubt you will see windows 10 especially since they don't appear to have pushed 8.1

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
re:

Join the Preview for Developers and you can get the latest Windows Phone 8.1 updates.. The "Windows Insider" app can get you into the Windows 10 program but I'd hold off on that one until they get it more "release ready."

DaKine 73

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: HTC 8XT, from sprint no updates at all.

Thanks to all on the replies, I got rid off that phone (well gave it to my daughter to play with it). I use a Lumia 1520 running the latest Windows 10 insider preview. Never more I'll be purchasing HTC or be with sprint.

On the sprint website it shows for that 8xt windows 8.1 is available. But the phone must be active on their network.

The dev preview seems that is not supported on that phone. I heard a while back that the previews for that phone were stopped due to major crashes.

Anyway I guess I'll check on the web to see if I can find more info on this. Is not that I need it, but it would be nice to have it. 8gb of main storage does not cut it for any phone unless you are able to use an SD card to install apps in it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC 8XT, from sprint no updates at all.

Thanks to all on the replies, I got rid off that phone (well gave it to my daughter to play with it). I use a Lumia 1520 running the latest Windows 10 insider preview. Never more I'll be purchasing HTC or be with sprint.

On the sprint website it shows for that 8xt windows 8.1 is available. But the phone must be active on their network.

The dev preview seems that is not supported on that phone. I heard a while back that the previews for that phone were stopped due to major crashes.

Anyway I guess I'll check on the web to see if I can find more info on this. Is not that I need it, but it would be nice to have it. 8gb of main storage does not cut it for any phone unless you are able to use an SD card to install apps in it.

Welcome to team Lumia. Hope you enjoy it. 1520 is a beast and my favorite windows phone.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well this is interesting:

Find and update the software version on your HTC 8XT

Looks like an update was pushed out just this month of August. My niece came to me asking me to update her 8XT and I found out that what was keeping her from upgrading to 8.1 (it was that far back) was having the preview for developers still active. I unchecked the box and it started downloading an update immediately. I'll let you know where it ends up.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately you ran into the issue of
1. Having sprint for your carrier
2. Owning an HTC windows phone

I did a quick Bing search and it appears that they kept delaying the windows phone 8.1 update constantly. I cant seem to find an article saying it was actually released so maybe they never did.

I seriously doubt you will see windows 10 especially since they don't appear to have pushed 8.1

Sprint most definitely released 8.1 with all the updated firmware for the Sprint 8XT. We have 2 8XT's in use at our house, and they're both on 8.1...and not the DP version.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Well this is interesting:

Find and update the software version on your HTC 8XT

Looks like an update was pushed out just this month of August. My niece came to me asking me to update her 8XT and I found out that what was keeping her from upgrading to 8.1 (it was that far back) was having the preview for developers still active. I unchecked the box and it started downloading an update immediately. I'll let you know where it ends up.

Glad you got it updated. I still use mine as a daily driver, but I doubt we'll see the Insider Preview for our phones as there's no recovery tool available for us should the Win10 upgrade fail.

peach395

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I recently wanted to see if I could install Windows 10 on it by joining the Windows Insider, but that's not (yet?) available. However, I was able to install 8.1 from just looking for updates through Sprint, so that's definitely an improvement.

I'm not using my 8XT anymore because of the poor support by Sprint, but since I still have the phone, I am definitely willing to try any and every update and installation that comes out, even if Sprint doesn't support it. Anyone know anything about Microsoft's plans to support (or not support) the 8XT?

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I recently wanted to see if I could install Windows 10 on it by joining the Windows Insider, but that's not (yet?) available. However, I was able to install 8.1 from just looking for updates through Sprint, so that's definitely an improvement.

I'm not using my 8XT anymore because of the poor support by Sprint, but since I still have the phone, I am definitely willing to try any and every update and installation that comes out, even if Sprint doesn't support it. Anyone know anything about Microsoft's plans to support (or not support) the 8XT?

Well, we can always hope...but without a phone recovery tool, like the Lumia's have, its doubtful MS would risk bricking our phones...so my guess is that we're EOL'd...and it is a 2+ year old model now. MS has confirmed that our upgrade partition (not the right name) is smaller than Lumia's which makes updates difficult. (There's a open case with MS on this...) So I'm not sure they'd invest the time in respinning the Win10 upgrade for HTC 8X & 8XT phones...but we can hope!!!

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So here's an update (heh). I got the first update which preps for the 8.1 update, but it did something strange. During the last phase it said something to the effect of you almost run out of space or something and it gave me the option to open the storage app to free up some space. I did this and as far as I can tell it never completed the final migration steps at the end. While waiting to be safe the screen went off and then it never came back, it just reboot loops now. I can't do the hold down vol/push power trick to even get it to a hard reset. Even in the Sprint store they couldn't get it to hard reset, so now I have to find a used 8XT because my niece has to stay on her family Sprint plan but she absolutely loved the 8XT and doesn't want anything else. :(

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Now that MS has added the 8XT to the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, we should be able to update any phone missing the 8.1 updates. Good News...sort of a happy accident that they bricked a bunch of phones by releasing the upgrade to early.

Might give us just a glimmer of hope for the WM10 Insider Program...

DaKine 73

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
So I got the Windows Device Recovery Tool installed on my PC. So I plugged in my old HTC 8TX, followed the instructions and.... Surprise 8.1 is on the thing. Sweet!!! Now we can play a little longer with this phone.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So I got the Windows Device Recovery Tool installed on my PC. So I plugged in my old HTC 8TX, followed the instructions and.... Surprise 8.1 is on the thing. Sweet!!! Now we can play a little longer with this phone.

Glad to hear it. Mine is rock solid with the fresh image install. It was good before, everything works perfectly now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria