I can't see music in any Groove app from OneDrive

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Hello.

I have about 5GB or so of music uploaded into my OneDrive music folder. Currently, I cannot see any of the music on either my laptop, PC, android phone and tablet. This all started when I cancelled my Groove music pass. I signed up to Office 365 Personal to get the extra space on OneDrive but so far nothing is sharing to Groove so may consider cancelling this. I signed in with the same account and can see the files in the Explorer on all devices but nothing in Groove under OneDrive. If I do add an album to Groove, it shows up as Local Only and play from that device only, despite it being in the OneDrive folder. Any ideas?

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Are the files MP3, AAC, or WMA? Other formats (like FLAC) are not supported for streaming, but will play if synced locally.
If you need a lossless format, use WMA Lossless, otherwise the others can be any bitrate.

Also is the music in the proper folder (OneDrive\Music)? If it's in a different folder (root OneDrive folder, Documents), Groove won't find it.

Lastly, are the music files actually uploaded to OneDrive? Do they show on onedrive.com?

There's more at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3080138/groove-and-onedrive-faq but those should be the most problems.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Yes to all of the above. Music is in mp3 and AAC.
When I go to the ondrive.com website all my music is in the right folder. When I click on a song it goes to the Groove online player and says the file is not available and I should add to Onedrive. So all the files are there and in the correct place. They just aren't being recognised by anything other than Onedrive. If I add a song to the Groove app on a PC it downloads the file and keeps a local copy and doesn't use onedrive. So onedrive is busted somehow.

Edit: I just found out I can add files to my Groove collection through a browser one by one and it syncs across devices. But I'm sure that defeats the purpose of OneDrive if I have to do that for every song from now on.

Last edited:

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
That's odd... maybe try resetting Groove? It doesn't specifically say anything about OneDrive music, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Settings > Reset (Choose what to remove, if on web app) > select all and Reset Now

Can you upload music from other PCs?

When you say add through the browser, do you mean on OneDrive? You can select as many files as you want and drag them into onedrive.com to upload multiple.
Still a workaround, but might make things easier.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. It didn't allow me to reset on the PC settings so I went to

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update\OneDriveSetup.exe

and reinstalled OneDrive from here. Everything was fixed and files resynced themselves as onedrive files and not local only files. working perfectly now. (although every album is from 1970 on my android phone. DOH!!!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon